What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

The move was successful. I am ready to crash for 36 hours strait now. :P 

But did you turn off the gas? Or the water? You sure the old place hasnt floated away?

oo new page

@Kimera Industries gas water heater? Gas furnace? :P 

Edited by AlamoVampire

2 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

Today I asked Reddit and watched a bunch of Youtube about how to get into model building. I was thinking of picking up a 1:72 WW2 fighter from either Tamiya or Airfix.

Should you do so, good luck and welcome to the hobby. Don’t expect to build something on the level of what you see displayed in fancy conventions and stuff right off the bat, but even with rudimentary skill you can make it look good.

My first model was a 1/48 A6M from Tamiya. It was a gift from my grandparents, and they also bought the four spray can type paints needed for the exterior. Believing that was all I needed I began construction. The cockpit is unpainted and apart from the wheel wells and wheels it really is just the four basic colors, but it came out pretty good. I’ll post a picture over in the scale model thread tomorrow so you can see.

@Kimera Industries Tamiya is a SOLID model producer. Im currently (been unwilling to continue cuz im lazy lol) doing an f-14 from them. Kinda pricey but worth it.

in other news i just clapped eyes on my FAVORITE constellation Orion!! Ah the winter constellations approach! I think this is the earliest by a week that ive seen it. Usually spot it (last 2-3 years) around end of August. Im tickled to have spotted it!

21 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Should you do so, good luck and welcome to the hobby. Don’t expect to build something on the level of what you see displayed in fancy conventions and stuff right off the bat, but even with rudimentary skill you can make it look good.

My first model was a 1/48 A6M from Tamiya. It was a gift from my grandparents, and they also bought the four spray can type paints needed for the exterior. Believing that was all I needed I began construction. The cockpit is unpainted and apart from the wheel wells and wheels it really is just the four basic colors, but it came out pretty good. I’ll post a picture over in the scale model thread tomorrow so you can see.

I think in the future I definitely will go with Tamiya because I've heard great things about the fit and detail but for my first kit I've settled on an Airfix beginner's kit, a Spitfire. I've heard it's sort of a tradition in the UK. I'm sort of psyching myself up (down?) for it to look bad so that I won't be too disappointed by the result.

Is there a scale modeling thread on this forum? Do you have a link? I couldn't find it.

15 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Tamiya is a SOLID model producer. Im currently (been unwilling to continue cuz im lazy lol) doing an f-14 from them. Kinda pricey but worth it.

I've definitely heard great things about Tamiya. My plan is to get familiar with simple planes, then start making my favorites.

Edited by Kimera Industries

Dont know if this warrants a thread. I just had a glitch with a lightning cable that nearly broke my iphone. A tiny portion at the end of my lightning cable broke off in my charge port. It rendered my phone unchargable to all but that cable. Ill add a photo later but, check your charge cables. Lightning and otherwise. I barely got that out of my phone. Just another in blows to me lately i guess.

As promised here is the picture. It includes the part of my lightning cable the bit came from. I urge ALL to verify the health of your charging cables regardless of device. This could have been BAD.

C93bFoi.jpeg

what on earth is with imgur or this forum blowing images way way way way up... this is ridiculously large... but, hey better view i guess. that cables a few years old and today it died. it still would charge because it would interface with that tiny metal part that it lodged in my port, but that rendered all other lightning cables inoperative. Only because I have some fine point tools and magnifiers was I able to remove that thing from the charge port. please inspect your cables. do not let this happen to you unless you fancy the idea of giving a phone repair shop a few benjamins to fix it.

Edited by AlamoVampire

Here's a fun graph I made on Desmos:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/nsfk7y1sem
I was playing around with equations that had x and y on the same side, and stumbled across this hourglass shape. The neck has been modified with two parabolas to make it look like it has an opening between the two lobes.

There's also a few other equations I was experimenting with thrown in there.

Got back from a fun weekend in Auburn, Indiana. Friend's car was rebuilt in Troy, and we drove it down to where it was born almost 100 years ago for an annual event at the Aurburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. Fun time, but slightly scary driving a car on regular roads that cost some multiple of what my house is worth. Was amazing to see so many Duesenbergs in one place.

On 8/22/2024 at 5:54 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Dont know if this warrants a thread. I just had a glitch with a lightning cable that nearly broke my iphone. A tiny portion at the end of my lightning cable broke off in my charge port. It rendered my phone unchargable to all but that cable. Ill add a photo later but, check your charge cables. Lightning and otherwise. I barely got that out of my phone. Just another in blows to me lately i guess.

I had that same thing happen to me a while back, kinda sold me on wireless charging and USB-C, which doesn’t look like it can fail that way. Might be part of the reason Apple ditched Lightning. 

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I had that same thing happen to me a while back, kinda sold me on wireless charging and USB-C, which doesn’t look like it can fail that way. Might be part of the reason Apple ditched Lightning. 

I say its an weird fail. I assume the outer metal casing is to protect the connector but its not supposed to come off. Is it an official cable? 

Im coming out of lurking and self imposed silence to answer a question for @magnemoe if by official you mean made by apple then no. But its made to apple specs and purchased off amazon. 

I purchased it from the Smallelectric Store on amazon and its product description says: iPhone Charger 10 ft,3-Pack Extra Long Lightning Cable [Apple MFi-Certified] iPhone Charger Cord 10 Foot Fast Charging for iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max X XS XR/8 Plus/7 Plus/6/6s Plus/5s /5c/iPad Mini Air.

Having said that it lasted 4-5 years before failure. 

Now Im returning to the shadows to lurk again.

Edited by AlamoVampire

Today I set up my new Macbook. It's not new, it's secondhand, like all of my computers *ever* but it's better than the old laptop I was using, so I can't complain. Well, I can, because it's an Apple product, but that's personal preference. :P 

Wife & I broke in her new forge today. 

XjPmZc4.jpg

Garage: not burned down. :funds:

FCluR5a.jpg

Much ado just to make one end of a metal bit flat in order to completely re-engineer the chicken coop latch… as a bunch of highly evolved dinosaurs have apparently figured out how to open it. 

Spoiler

jurassic-park-opening-the-door.gif

0Q1nIOw.jpg