What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I made panettone and am making ciabatta bread for Christmas.

Panettone is a labor of love if there ever was one- I even thought I broke our stand mixer and pored through the dough looking for a tiny piece of plastic.  To have it for breakfast, you have to start it the day before and wake up at like 5 AM.  It was intense.

Now I'm making the ciabatta.  It is SO MUCH EASIER.  Ahhhhhh.......

sadie, the younger and thinner of my two cats was meowing out the window, she usually does this when she sees birds. of course there is this one big seagull in his usual spot on the building next door. this particular bird likes that particular spot for some reason and has been showing up there for over a year now. some debate has ensued about whether or not its the same bird. but it is a large bird, and the seagulls don't usually come inland, they usually stop at the fisheries and never leave. but it is always a very large gull and always in the same exact spot and its always just one. anyway its like streaming service for cats. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, we have been trying to figure out how to get a third car for Thing #1 ever since he got his license back in September. But, in case you hadn't noticed, the used car market is insane right now. I'd been hoping to buy a new(er) truck for myself and give him my old truck, but (for example) right now a ten-year-old Tacoma with 100,000 miles on it is literally selling for about the same price it was when it was new. Even old econoboxes are stupid expensive right now. So we've thought about it and prayed, and decided to wait and see if the bottom drops out of the used car market this year like a lot of folks think it will.

So, last month I got a call from a guy I worked with twenty years ago back in California. He'd been thinking about me, just wanted to catch up. We spent an hour on the phone chatting about work and family, it was great to hear from him. This week he sends me a text: "Hey, you mentioned that you were looking for a car for your oldest? We've got this 2002 Mazda Tribute. Bought it new, drove it 200,000 miles. It runs great, but the catalytic converters are worn out and it won't pass smog. Not worth fixing, can't sell it unless we do. We were going to donate it, but we were wondering if you wanted it? No money, just come pick it up." So, free car, just have to drive out to California and get it. Woot! :)

Speaking of car troubles, the old Ford didn't start at -25°C, most likely because the generator brushes froze up. Just another reminder to methodically vent moisture (when we had left it, temperature hovered around zero, so there were small pools on all the mats).

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Step AWAY from the bus. Your S needs to get to Mars. And not as a bus driver. :huh:

Gotta pay for the degree somehow!

Edit: Been doing this for a year and a half now, I intend to drop it the instant I get an actual space job. Today was just the first time I got to drive the bendy buses (and the electric ones too), I basically got "niche bus" trained today.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

As far as a paying for college job goes, I am paid 20.79 an hour to sit in a comfy chair in an air conditioned structure, entrusted with a complicated mechanical machine, with consistent hours. The job is contractually required to schedule around my classes (I've had to exercise that right three times this month because my arranged classes kept changing, lol), and I can go from my dorm to punching in, with a ~10 minute bike ride. Much preferable to working in a dining hall or retail or grading papers or tutoring, for me at least. The only other thing I could ask for would be an easier time getting time off.

The only caveat is that I don't really like driving, but given that no space company exists in a small town, driving with significant vehicular and pedestrian traffic is a skill I'll likely need, and I'm being paid to learn it!

Right now, it is looking like I will graduate without debt, which is a massive win and a huge source of relief. The 100 grand price tag scared me so much going in, and now it has been chipped away scholarship by scholarship, grant by grant, and bus driving shift by bus driving shift into basically nothing.

Now all I have to do is not fail any classes this semester (and, you know, get a job in this economy with a resume that could be significantly better).

Edited by Ultimate Steve

25 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

a resume that could be significantly better

I dunno. As far as I'd be concerned (i.e. assuming you got past the often-brainless HR interns) I'd call bendy bus driving a plus. Way more eye-catching than our usual fare of "social media account manager in a buddy's crypto/NFT startup".

15 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Step AWAY from the bus. Your S needs to get to Mars. And not as a bus driver. :huh:

Me? I caught a frog. 

SiZnmPY.jpeg

It did not want to cuddle. :(

They tend not to, as a kid I caught an frog on an school trip. Wanted to keep it so I put it in my now empty lunch box. 
Then I kind of forgot it, my mother was not very happy then she opened it :) 

Related to busses, is it normal to have the drive wheels at the rear for the articulated busses? Busses has had lots of problem because snow and ice here in Norway and having the drive wheels after the bend, as in putting them in the trailer would be bad. Electrical busses has most problem. I guess for the diesel one it makes most sense to put the engine in the rear there it out of the way and easy to maintain. 
But also electrical engines has so much power its make them worse on icy roads. Guess they bought the cheapest ones. 

On 1/30/2024 at 12:52 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

and, you know, get a job in this economy with a resume that could be significantly better).

Good luck with that part. I've been at it for longer than it takes to get from Earth to Mars.

aquired some bose speakers for free today. not exactly a high end model but still, they sound good for how small they are. debating replacing my 3 foot tall full range found on the side of the road speakers, but where would i put all my cat pictures. 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:52 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

As far as a paying for college job goes, I am paid 20.79 an hour to sit in a comfy chair in an air conditioned structure, entrusted with a complicated mechanical machine, with consistent hours. The job is contractually required to schedule around my classes (I've had to exercise that right three times this month because my arranged classes kept changing, lol), and I can go from my dorm to punching in, with a ~10 minute bike ride. Much preferable to working in a dining hall or retail or grading papers or tutoring, for me at least. The only other thing I could ask for would be an easier time getting time off.

The only caveat is that I don't really like driving, but given that no space company exists in a small town, driving with significant vehicular and pedestrian traffic is a skill I'll likely need, and I'm being paid to learn it!

Right now, it is looking like I will graduate without debt, which is a massive win and a huge source of relief. The 100 grand price tag scared me so much going in, and now it has been chipped away scholarship by scholarship, grant by grant, and bus driving shift by bus driving shift into basically nothing.

Now all I have to do is not fail any classes this semester (and, you know, get a job in this economy with a resume that could be significantly better).

I love driving. There is an independence there. Twenty five years from now, when the government is telling you that you are no longer allowed to drive, you have to let a computer do it, remember that you were allowed to do this. With pride.

56 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I love driving. There is an independence there. Twenty five years from now, when the government is telling you that you are no longer allowed to drive, you have to let a computer do it, remember that you were allowed to do this. With pride.

10-15 years tops, I should be in just the right place to get a nice early retirement deal out of it. 

And given your average driver these days is already yakking on their phone while also watching a movie on their tablet, I welcome the day. I trust the computer more. <_<

On 2/3/2024 at 11:35 PM, TheSaint said:

I like the independence of being able to go wherever I want, whenever I want. Actually putting in the work to make the car not hit stuff can be more of a chore.

I realized I may have aphantasia, which is not a dislike of a certain Disney movie but instead the inability to picture things in your mind. I've heard of it before but I never knew I had it because I - like - KNOW what things look like and THINK I can see them in my mind but the basic test of "close your eyes and think of something and can you see it" ... I see nothing but black.

Apparently it's no big deal and fairly common but it's weird.

Had to order a taxi for a colleague just now. While making sure she got picked up, I browsed the map.

Got a giggle when I found a railway spur leading to a "Slaughterhouse Station".

i was looking at my desktop wallpaper, some nuclear test footage for greenhouse item. the little angry fire ball. today i decided that the explosion kinda looks like a hamster. so i moved some icons around and now it looks like a hamster. 

On 2/6/2024 at 6:54 PM, Superfluous J said:

I realized I may have aphantasia, which is not a dislike of a certain Disney movie but instead the inability to picture things in your mind. I've heard of it before but I never knew I had it because I - like - KNOW what things look like and THINK I can see them in my mind but the basic test of "close your eyes and think of something and can you see it" ... I see nothing but black.

Apparently it's no big deal and fairly common but it's weird.

Recently found out my wife has this. Kinda blew my mind, I had no idea that was even a thing. Like how some people don’t have an internal monologue. (Mine’s usually muttering on about the pictures…)

Anyways, cleaning out the garage today and I found… this…

PaGUd2U.jpg

Cue flashback…

Spoiler

tumblr_ok9bzj8JoF1tlb56zo1_400.gifv
9a845631-ec9f-400f-9316-26f3f6935fc4_tex

… and it’s not even mine. :confused:

That is the model of telephone I use. It cannot get lost. I've dropped it twice and it still works. It never needs a software update. The sound and signal quality are invariably excellent. It never needs to be recharged. It does not continually inform the world of my location. And I paid $10 for it. And since I am not one of those people who feels compelled to show Instagram and Facebook what I am having for lunch, mine's inability to take photographs is not an impediment. 

3 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

That is the model of telephone I use. It cannot get lost. I've dropped it twice and it still works. It never needs a software update. The sound and signal quality are invariably excellent. It never needs to be recharged. It does not continually inform the world of my location. And I paid $10 for it. And since I am not one of those people who feels compelled to show Instagram and Facebook what I am having for lunch, mine's inability to take photographs is not an impediment. 

Yes, but you can only use it if you haven't given up your landline. Shifting most use to mobile and the sheer quantity of spam calls has caused my family to systematically get rid of those.