What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

21 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Riches!

I'm going to be rich!  Some fellow from Nigeria is sending me $500,000,000 ... all I need do is send some 'basic' identity information along with an authorizing signature so that the two agents I sent can pick up the money for me.

Two agents I sent?  Ok!  Sure!  We'll roll with that.  James Veitch will be proud of me.  When the money comes in I'm going to share it with all of you.

Been a long time since I've received one of those screwball emails.  Couldn't resist ... and yes, I did reply to it. :lol:

You’re too late, I got the same email weeks ago, and I’ve already claimed it. Should be getting my transfer any day now. Could really use it too, I keep getting all these “credit alerts,” must’ve forgotten to pay a bill somewhere...

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe in Nigeria there is some e-mail programming example, so every Nigerian PHP beginner first tries to run it on his computer?

Meta-scams. Ads on the Nigerian BuzzFeed: "Want to get rich quick? Try this one weird trick...."

4 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Riches!

I'm going to be rich!  Some fellow from Nigeria is sending me $500,000,000 ... all I need do is send some 'basic' identity information along with an authorizing signature so that the two agents I sent can pick up the money for me.

Two agents I sent?  Ok!  Sure!  We'll roll with that.  James Veitch will be proud of me.  When the money comes in I'm going to share it with all of you.

Been a long time since I've received one of those screwball emails.  Couldn't resist ... and yes, I did reply to it. :lol:

Just be careful. Malware may or may not be included under such overt cover.

That said, still waiting on the reward from helping raise money to save that cosmonaut from Salyut-8.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You’re too late, I got the same email weeks ago, and I’ve already claimed it. Should be getting my transfer any day now. Could really use it too, I keep getting all these “credit alerts,” must’ve forgotten to pay a bill somewhere...

Hey!  I want my cut!

10 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Small world indeed. 

Wife and I went to Nepal years ago (I had spent a few months there a few years before that, too). In the airport hotel in Bangkok, at midnight, we ran into a prof from the U here my wife knew. Later in the trip, after a trek, and back in Kathmandu, we're walking across the durbar square, and a woman calls my name. I assume it's someone we met while trekking (you tend to hang out with various people as you go), and turn to find it's my friend Denise from ABQ. I met her years before at a rock climbing talk, and over coffee she picked my brain about travel to Nepal (something she wanted to do at some point). Was fun, my wife and I hung out with her and her BF for a few days in Nepal.

Another travel story, this from longer ago than I'd care to think is possible.

Was in Bangkok. Last night after months in Thailand, heading to Hong Kong the next day. Buddy and I are out at a tourist place, eating. I look around the room, and see a guy. He's looking at me, but quickly turns his head. When he turns back, I turn my head (don't want to look like I'm checking him out, and vice versa). This happens a few times. Finally, I look at him, and when he turns, I keep looking at him. We both start nodding our heads as we both get up (and I tap my buddy on the arm) and we walk towards each other. It's a guy we knew from High School (my buddy next to me was the only friend from HS I kept in touch with afterwards). So that guy, Pete, is heading through Bangkok. Literally laying over overnight. Next day he's heading to... Hong Kong. Long story short, we ended up hanging out a few days in HK and Macau.

17 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

i made a meme and somehow people liked it and it got 10k upvotes on reddit

my life is now complete

My most upvoted thing on Reddit is 2.9k, it's a comment agreeing with a post about how we take self flushing toilets for granted.

15 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

My most upvoted thing on Reddit is 2.9k, it's a comment agreeing with a post about how we take self flushing toilets for granted.

1.6k for me, since I basically don't post on reddit at all.

It was for making this: https://gfycat.com/generousignorantbellfrog

22 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Riches!

Don't forget to send it by Western Union!

12 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Not my most upvoted thing, but Tory Bruno himself commented on a meme I posted in r/SpaceXMasterRace.

I just got home to find that my copy of Humble Pi has arrived, signed by Matt himself!

EWymNUC.jpg

Parker signature if I ever saw one.

Edit.

Just noticed, the page numbering system is... interesting.

Edited by Shpaget

Everyone in the school got an email from the principal, not uncommon. Then some student replies to the email with 'ok' (which is seen by the WHOLE SCHOOL). Now every time someone replies, it's sent to everyone in the entire school. This has been going on for about an hour, and my inbox has over 200 unread emails as a result. 

8 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Now every time someone replies, it's sent to everyone in the entire school.

I have seen that too many times, with company- or center-wide emails.

Followed by the many responses saying something along the lines of "Do not use reply all." and "Do not use 'reply all' to tell people not to use 'reply all'.".

Hint:
If you need to send an email to a group of people, and do not need responses spammed across the list, include the list of email addresses in the "BCC:" field.