Best Quotes Ever

KAL 9000

"We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended"

Source: murky....

Spoiler

The quote went viral when tweeted by actor Kevin Sorbo on 7/1/2022, but has been around since at least April 2021, with variations  that are likely older.

“Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles” is a similar saying.

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/we_live_in_a_time_where_smart_people/

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Some quotes from Plato:

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back.

Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.

Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others.

Poets utter great and wise things which they do not themselves understand.

A dog has the soul of a philosopher.

The greatest victory is overcoming your negative thinking.

France is a place you have to go through to get to Italy. - James May.

Braking is the secret to fast driving. - Jim Clark.

I may be slightly paraphrasing these two quotes as I cannot track down the originals, but I know I came across them somewhere.

2 hours ago, benzman said:

Braking is the secret to fast driving. - Jim Clark.

So true. Brake enough going into a corner, and you can get back on the accelerator sooner and come out of the corner faster.

It also works in orbital mechanics, slow down to drop into a lower, faster orbit

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!) but “That’s funny …”
— Isaac Asimov

There is some doubt as to whether Asimov did actually say this, but it is too good a quote to pass up.

"So many people have worked on rocket science that almost all ideas I've ever came up with have already been proven wrong by someone smarter than me, almost." -Sorry for qouting myself, but it is a lesson I've learnt, not that it will stop me from trying to come up with new working ideas.

"The most important thing a sport can teach you is not how to win, but how to lose without giving up, or even worse, complaining." - I did it again, sorry.

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

I was watching the original 1935 "Werewolf of London" the other day when I heard this little gem:

"You are foolish, but without fools there would be no wisdom..."

I had to pause the movie and write that one down... lol

Edited by Just Jim

"And when everyone is super, then no one is" -Syndrome (The Incredibles)

"You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb s****?" -Rita (Idiocracy)

On 3/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

"We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended"

That is becoming worryingly true.

Dr. Venture: So anyway, next time you do a photo shoot for one of the science rags, get ready to move over ’cause I’m lifting my self-imposed media blackout.    
Dr. Jonas Venture Jr. (on phone): You saw the Super Scientific American piece, did you? That must’ve been one of the gals in my PR department. Oop, hang on a second…
Dr. Venture: You have a...Puerto Rican department?

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

“Do you want it done right, or do you want it done now?  I know you want it done right now, but, pick one…” - me

"On time, on budget, or meets specs.  Pick two."

"I delivered my project under budget, and doing exactly what it was asked to do.  It was two years late, but that's ok.  The entire program was five years behind schedule at that point."
S-Band radio engineer, STS Orbiter System

Edited by razark