Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Why is everyone suddenly going on about teeth right when I get a moderately annoying gum inflammation!?

We're psychic!

3 hours ago, DDE said:

I imagine the rest of the audience is very puzzled by the mention of 0.01% solution of benzyldimethyl[3-(myristoylamino)propyl]ammonium chloride monohydrate. It’s one of those Soviet meds unheard of in Western literature.

Not at all.
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/46175265#section=Top
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24605621

And if you ask me, it's a bit of overkill for a gum infection... unless you've reason to suspect something more . . . sinister.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It was created for space. So, it's KSP-related.

Not quite. lol

52 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Not quite. lol

Apparently it was developed as BKh-14, an OP antiseptic for the filthy Salyuts, then it got rushed into the anti-STD role with the 1980 Olympics in mind. As of 1991, it became an over-the-counter med, and it's treated as an anti-everything antiseptic that reliably makes it into the top-10 by revenue.

Which is why I fished it out of the fridge as soon as I realized I have an inflammation problem.

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Catch-22.
I'd really want to draw, but knowing my history with it I cannot bring up the courage, much less the motivation, to even consider actually drawing something.
I'm too afraid of failing yet again to even try it another time.

This has been pulling me down for around two months now, much longer than any other period. Yes, it occurs somewhat regularly. Though normally I can stop thinking about it after perhaps not even a week and everything's fine again.

Right now I'm sort of able to forget about it by doing something else, but as soon as that is done I'm going back to thinking about drawing, whether I want to or not.

I don't want to use the word "depression" as I don't have it myself and don't want to deny what depression really is like. Still, for lack of better words: It really feels like depression.

So, try and fail. You'll learn more from failure than you will from success, if you let it teach you. And, IRL, your ability to push through failure and keep trying will be a greater determinant of your ability to succeed than almost anything else, more than talent or intelligence or education or most other things that people place great importance on. If you can develop that ability, that sheer pig-headedness to just keep banging away at something until you get it right, you'll go places.

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

So, try and fail. You'll learn more from failure than you will from success, if you let it teach you.

I've come to a point where learning from my failures is no longer an option. Instead of seeing failure as a motivation to keep going I have no other option left but to see it as a sign of having to give up entirely.
Wasted potential.

Failure isn't motivating anymore. This is not like anyone's first landing on the Mun where you eventually get it after some attempts, then get it done consistently and it becomes routine.
Failure is just pure frustration at this point and I feel like crap. I feel like an utterly incompetent idiot who can't do anything right, despite knowing this isn't so.

35 minutes ago, Delay said:

I've come to a point where learning from my failures is no longer an option. Instead of seeing failure as a motivation to keep going I have no other option left but to see it as a sign of having to give up entirely.
Wasted potential.

Failure isn't motivating anymore. This is not like anyone's first landing on the Mun where you eventually get it after some attempts, then get it done consistently and it becomes routine.
Failure is just pure frustration at this point and I feel like crap. I feel like an utterly incompetent idiot who can't do anything right, despite knowing this isn't so.

If you're drawing something, it won't look just the way you first intended it to. That's just the way the universe works. I think if you draw something without that expectation, you won't have to be disappointed in the final result, because you didn't create something wrong, you just created something new

43 minutes ago, Delay said:

Wasted potential.

You know, it's advice. It's advice I wish someone had given me when I was a teenager. But it is, at the end of the day, advice. Take it or leave it.

12 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

But it is, at the end of the day, advice.

I'm sorry to say it, but I've heard it so many times that it's difficult to take it seriously. It's not helping in the slightest - it actually makes things worse for me.

I know you've said it with good intentions and I respect that, but unfortunately it hasn't achieved what you wanted it to achieve.

24 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I think if you draw something without that expectation, you won't have to be disappointed in the final result, because you didn't create something wrong, you just created something new

My expectations are pretty much of negative value - I expect less of myself than what should be possible.

For the first time in my 15 years of driving, the auto shut-off on a gas pump failed to stop the pump.

I didn't lose much (because unlike most people I see, I actually stay next to the pump while it's filling), maybe $0.25 in gas, but the outside of the truck will probably stink for a day or two. :mad:

17 hours ago, Delay said:

I'm sorry to say it, but I've heard it so many times that it's difficult to take it seriously. It's not helping in the slightest - it actually makes things worse for me.

I know you've said it with good intentions and I respect that, but unfortunately it hasn't achieved what you wanted it to achieve.

My expectations are pretty much of negative value - I expect less of myself than what should be possible.

Alternative tack - Why draw at all? Dont you like drawing? Forget the result, just do it to enjoy it, the result need not always matter. If you dont enjoy the act of drawing, then dont push yourself to draw and forget how good you think you are and try something else that actually brings you satisfaction rather than anxiety.

But if you do enjoy it, or see yourself enjoying again, then you need to practice. Expecting to be good without first being loads and loads of bad is kind of....ill advised, to put it generously. There are extremely few individuals int his world that are good at anything without lots of practice, and lots of being bad at it.

But discard it if it brings you nothing. (Dont worry about wasted "potential", we are all "potentially" a lot of things, we cannot run with all of them.)

What Im getting at is, why is the prospect of perceived failure bringing you so much tension? Failure is not, in-and-of-itself, necessarily a tragedy. Your education or livelihood do not depend on it right?

Do you feel you are wasting your time?

Fine if you dont enjoy failure, but unless something is riding on your success, I dont know why you'd torture yourself.

Find something you enjoy. Something you enjoy so much that even failures bring you satisfaction.

Im a martial artist and I appreciate losing in bouts. Why? Because 1) theres is ALWAYS someone that can beat you, regardless of your skill level. Therefore a degree of failure is more than inevitable and it would be folly to take that as a bad sign. 2) You learn more from failure than success. In fact in martial arts, you learn next to nothing from a victory. Ergo, if I lose a bout, im a better fighter already. If I win, Im the same person who walked in the door earlier.

So: why draw?

Edited by p1t1o

55 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

For the first time in my 15 years of driving, the auto shut-off on a gas pump failed to stop the pump.

I didn't lose much (because unlike most people I see, I actually stay next to the pump while it's filling), maybe $0.25 in gas, but the outside of the truck will probably stink for a day or two. :mad:

Takes me back to the first time my mom took me out to fill up my car. I go out there, she fills up her own car and gas goes all down the side of her car. Mine was perfectly fine, but I always treat that nozzle like a loaded gun from that moment on.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I've had this happen before. It's the only time I feel free to misuse the gas station's windshield wiping equipment.

28 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Takes me back to the first time my mom took me out to fill up my car. I go out there, she fills up her own car and gas goes all down the side of her car. Mine was perfectly fine, but I always treat that nozzle like a loaded gun from that moment on.

Back in California they have the vapor recovery nozzles, which are spring-loaded. I've seen them kick out of the tank when they're done, landing on the ground afterwards and scraping down the side of the vehicle on the way. I got in the habit of not even taking my hand off of the nozzle while it was filling.

56 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Why draw at all?

Creative outlet.
I want something which mainly requires creativity to be done, not critical thinking or logic like most of my other hobbies (mostly math, IT and physics). Drawing, frankly, is the option with the most freedom. You can literally draw anything - you're not limited by physical constraints.

58 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Dont you like drawing?

No! I do like drawing, I'm just no longer capable of dealing with it. It's too much for me to handle right now.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

then you need to practice.

Yes, yes, I know, I know.
I know! I have known that for years!

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

(Dont worry about wasted "potential", we are all "potentially" a lot of things, we cannot run with all of them.

What if you can't stop thinking about it? That's the worst part on this whole situation. I can't get myself to stop thinking about it!
Everything else becomes unimportant, the only thing that matters is that I want to draw, and I can't because I suck!

It's a sort of fight in my brain. One half really want to just draw, pick up a pencil and do the crap I usually do. The other half prevents that and points out how many failures I already had. Why should I try again? I'll fail like on the other 40 attempts!

1 hour ago, Delay said:

I know! I have known that for years!

Apologies if Im trying to teach you to suck eggs, limitations of the medium and all that ;)

1 hour ago, Delay said:

I'll fail like on the other 40 attempts!

What is your definition of failure?

Quality not good enough? Make mistakes? Perceived failure to transmit feelings to paper? Something less easily described?

I have a synthesiser, in form its a box with randomly arranged knobs and buttons. I didnt know how to work it when I got it, but I had some experience with the piano, am technically minded and knew what I wanted to do. So I started teaching myself. Im not very good, but after hundreds of hours I have managed to create maybe 2 or 3 "things recognisable as music".

Its a creative outlet but my fulfillment is not dependent on "success". Or maybe it is but "success" during one session might just be "successfully trying" something that I have heard or want to create, rather than the production of any tune or song or anything that could remotely be described as "complete".

I am afraid of putting my mind to say, deliberately creating a song or piece of music, because its hard and I might never succeed. I might spend a year and get something that sounds to me, great, but to everyone else, like derivative trash. But what I do do, is pick it up every now and then and dabble. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for hours. Sometimes I completely fail to create the sounds I want and its nothing but trash.

What I enjoy is the "ability to try", I think. I do have some musical ability, and there is satisfaction from the conventional success of actually making music, but theres more...it is not easy to put into words.

Im not trying to say that this is the same as what you are experiencing, but I thought it might be parallel enough that there might be something useful there

1 hour ago, Delay said:

What if you can't stop thinking about it?

Not being able to stop thinking about your potential and possible failure to meet potential might be something worth talking about in and of itself, with someone you trust.

24 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

What is your definition of failure?

Does "The general concept of failing" count?

I don't know how to describe it otherwise. I'm just not happy with it. Actually I'm very disappointed and slightly upset.

14 hours ago, Delay said:

Does "The general concept of failing" count?

I don't know how to describe it otherwise. I'm just not happy with it. Actually I'm very disappointed and slightly upset.

I get that. Many things are hard to put into words. Best wishes bud.

9 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I get that. Many things are hard to put into words. Best wishes bud.

The period will eventually end like all the other ones before it. I just have to wait it out.

That said, if you know of anything to speed up that process, please, please tell me.

Edited by Delay

8 hours ago, Delay said:

The period will eventually end like all the other ones before it. I just have to wait it out.

That said, if you know of anything to speed up that process, please, please tell me.

I find the best way to get over a slump in anything is to do literally anything else and get really into it.

I've been in a csgo slump, not winning and being all around terrible, and got banned from some servers for fake reasons. Then I got into Garry's mod and am obsessed with that.

Find something fun to do!

On 3/1/2019 at 2:09 AM, Delay said:

Actually I'm very disappointed and slightly upset.

The point of drawing is not about the drawing - the point of drawing is for your mind to fantasize on it. It can be crap to others, but what matters is your imagination.

This is even true with technical drawing - the drawing represents what you (and everyone else) think what we're going to do.