Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

4 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

No, people are complaining that faceless corporations are taking over what was once led by independent content creators and individuals.

They are not faceless corporations.  Those corporations pay the bills.  YouTube is owned by Google / Alphabet.  Folks like some of those big names in that image posted, can take all the millions they've earned and create their own YouTube and write their own rules if they wish.  In short, instead of complaining, all of these content creators should put their money where their mouth is.  Welcome to the real world of business.

I want to complain that there is not enough complaining in the complaints thread. If you want to argue Youtube... uh, whatever that is about, please start a thread for it. Now get back to complaining, or else! :mad:

29 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I want to complain that there is not enough complaining in the complaints thread. If you want to argue Youtube... uh, whatever that is about, please start a thread for it. Now get back to complaining, or else! :mad:

I'm sick of you complaining that there is not enough complaining in this thread. What the hell eh?

;)

Edited by GDJ

3 minutes ago, GDJ said:

I'm sick of you complaining that there is not enough complaining in this thread.

You complain about someone complaining about a lack of complaining?

Now I'm complaining about you complaining about someone complaining about a lack of complaining.

Well, I'm going to complain that my wife is expecting me to get some housework done while she's off at a workshop. Then she's going to complain that I didn't get anything done because she wasn't here to crack the whip. So I'm going to pre-emptively complain about that. Now excuse me while I play video games. Or walk the dog. Or anything but housework.

Actually, walking the dog must count for something.... It's too nice out to be doing housework... But then'll she'll expect me to wash the truck...

(nobody tell her I'm complaining...)

4 hours ago, Delay said:

You complain about someone complaining about a lack of complaining?

Now I'm complaining about you complaining about someone complaining about a lack of complaining.

I'm complaining that you are complaining about me complaining about somebody complaining about a lack of complaining in the complaining thread.

I'm calling in a  whaaambulance.

Whambulance.gif

Edited by GDJ

Just now, Barzon Kerman said:

Im complaining about tweakscale being so annoying.

It could be worse. Quit complaining. :D

I've come to hate Python as a programming language. Currently we're doing encryption/cryptography in school (right now: Implementing a simple Caesar cipher( and how to break it, aka. why you shouldn't use Casear encryption in any serious context), followed by a implementing a Viginere cipher).

Guess what: In Python, you have to convert between characters and integers! You can't simply take a letter and add 4 to it. You have to first convert it into the integer that represents it in ASCII, then add 4, then convert it back to your new letter!

While this is still okay for Caesar ciphers I'm close to losing my mind in all the conversion madness for Viginere, since it requires an addition key for encryption. Either than or I suck at making efficient algorithms.

What I do first is go through the letters in the key one by one, replace uppercase characters with lowercase ones and remove anything that isn't a lowercase letter by then (aka. all symbols). Makes the actual encryption a lot easier, since you no longer have to work out if the character in question is uppercase, lowercase or neither. Just subtract 97 from whatever ASCII you find and you're done.

I would love to do it in C, but here's the real complaint I have: The school computers have no C or C++ compilers! The best you find is something with "Java" in the name and IDLE (Python's shell and default IDE).
To add insult to injury, even if there were compilers installed, we're not allowed to use them!

Edited by Delay

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

I want to complain that there is not enough complaining in the complaints thread.

I want to complain that we don't have a general randomness thread, which would avoid your complaint being raised.

56 minutes ago, Delay said:

In Python, you have to convert between characters and integers!

Couldn't you make an array, then take the entry, sift through the array according to the shift, then spit out the value of that index of array ?

12 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

the war over on Youtube is some childish thing.

Indeed it is. It's in the same vain that 30-20 years ago youngsters try to be in a band.

21 minutes ago, YNM said:

Couldn't you make an array, then take the entry, sift through the array according to the shift, then spit out the value of that index of array ?

You could probably do that, but I don't think it would be worth the extra effort.
Especially since this is a "weakness" in just Python. In C characters are stored as chars, which are numbers that are interpreted as symbols according to the ASCII code. You don't even need chars for this, even long long can be interpreted as a character (though you'd be wasting a lot of memory)

'A' + 3 is valid in C.
It will result in an error in Python.

Edited by Delay

11 minutes ago, Delay said:

Especially since this is a "weakness" in just Python.

I'd argue that the array method (if it's possible at all) is much more versatile. Want to do it in Cyrillic ? Go and make a Cyrillic array. In Japanese ? Go and make one. Want to communicate in an odd character set ? Go for it.

Plus you have to see the end point, which will be different for each character set.

20 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

then make one

If I even remember correctly at all, the forum guidelines have some problems with having such random thread.

Edited by YNM

6 hours ago, Delay said:

I would love to do it in C, but here's the real complaint I have: The school computers have no C or C++ compilers! The best you find is something with "Java" in the name and IDLE (Python's shell and default IDE).
T

You still have a browser and can create html files.
So, you always have JavaScript.

Use JS, be not like others!

@Delay

You should try Dibol sometime, porting its data over for use with just about anything else ... where a letter is used as part of the number to denote a negative value (in an ISAM file for example).

Ex:
-255  normal
25u  dibol

Edited by LordFerret

@Delay: i read a humorous/ironic text, i think it was in a developer forum titled "Python is for losers" or so, stating that if you want to accomplish something, hands off from engines and scripting and do it right(tm). This is, of course, not the whole truth. But maybe it comforts you :-)

Complaint: am trying to wrap my head around a continuous distance dependent level of detail algorithm (say it 3 times very fast). It just won't do. Too many things at once for a novice like me. Every time i think i made a step forward something new pops up and laughs at me. One day i'll have it, hopefully :-) Don't attack too many levels of difficulty (LOD) at once if you're not really persistent at it ....

17 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

i read a humorous/ironic text, i think it was in a developer forum titled "Python is for losers" or so,

I learnt the basics of Python before being forced to learn C (remember the entire signal transmission problem from a few months ago?). I had a small conversation with @IncongruousGoat where he said he didn't like Python.

I didn't understand it at the time. Now I certainly do.

@Delay Ironically, one of the few things I consider Python to be good for is (modern) cryptography. It's got really good random number generators and other cryptographic utilities, and the arbitrary-precision integer arithmetic is actually useful (for once).

Unfortunately, you're doing classic crypto... and Python is, as you've discovered, pretty bad for that. Or anything else that requires you to treat data as something other than a magical abstraction.

8 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

@Delay Ironically, one of the few things I consider Python to be good for is (modern) cryptography. It's got really good random number generators and other cryptographic utilities, and the arbitrary-precision integer arithmetic is actually useful (for once).

Unfortunately, you're doing classic crypto... and Python is, as you've discovered, pretty bad for that. Or anything else that requires you to treat data as something other than a magical abstraction.

I'm not denying that Python can have its uses. As discussed it's a pretty common language and must be doing something right.
For other things - I'd even argue for most - however, it turns out that Python sucks.

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Seriously guys, Youtube's business practices need to be in their own thread. They are not the subject of this thread. More posts have been trimmed. 

I only found it by accident.

Well, if we're talking weird semantics for variables, there's FORTH, where you specify an integer is double-length by appending a period to it.

So, 20000 would be single precision and 20000. would be the same value, but double-length. And if this makes you wonder, "How do you do floating point then?", well, the answer is that the core language spec doesn't include floating point support. It does exist as an optional extension, but interpreters are not required to support it. Because not all systems have native floating point support, and emulation libraries are slow (this is the actual justification).

Although, those semantics are for numbers that are being pushed onto the data stack, and not variables. Variables are actually no-input functions that "return" (insofar as FORTH has standard function returns) an address that points to a memory region that's large enough to hold a single-precision integer. You make arrays by making the most recently defined variable's memory region bigger by literally (under the hood) incrementing an internal system pointer.

And this is relatively tame as far as wacky FORTH semantics go. I haven't even gotten to how the friggin' control flow works, not to mention the reflection. Oh Kerm, the reflection. All good languages allow you to obliterate the entire runtime environment at runtime, right?

The things you learn about a language when you decide to write an interpreter for it...