SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I believe Polaris 1 will be a record for number of astronauts simultaneously in depressurised conditions? 

IIRC ISS and shuttle never had more than two at once. Apollo occasionally had 3 during depressurisations of the command module for stand up EVAs. Polaris will be 4.

Unless different national missions randomly had spacewalks occur at once.

I like that they went into designing this suit with the thought of how to scale up production. There's people on xitter wondering why SpaceX wants to make so many spacesuits, and some of them are the same people who decry SpaceX for not working on the items needed for human Mars missions.

Yeah, I wonder.

Anyway, apparently a PLSS is on the roadmap according to Isaacman, and Musk has tweeted the next-gen suit will be even better, so it looks like they're already working on the upgade. Might see some of those improvements during Polaris II.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

I believe Polaris 1 will be a record for number of astronauts simultaneously in depressurised conditions? 

IIRC ISS and shuttle never had more than two at once. Apollo occasionally had 3 during depressurisations of the command module for stand up EVAs. Polaris will be 4.

Unless different national missions randomly had spacewalks occur at once.

Shuttle did have 3 once for when they captured a satellite that was spinning, STS-49.

Technically Space Shuttle has the title of the first 3 on EVA, as Apollo 15, 16, and 17 had 2 astronauts go outside to recover film from an experiment mounted on the SM. Yes, all 3 were suited up, but only 2 actually stuck their heads outside, and only 1 person traveled across the ladder to grab the film.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

I like that they went into designing this suit with the thought of how to scale up production. There's people on xitter wondering why SpaceX wants to make so many spacesuits, and some of them are the same people who decry SpaceX for not working on the items needed for human Mars missions.

Yeah, I wonder.

Anyway, apparently a PLSS is on the roadmap according to Isaacman, and Musk has tweeted the next-gen suit will be even better, so it looks like they're already working on the upgade. Might see some of those improvements during Polaris II.

It's like the goons who think this is somehow about making money, or sending rich people to Mars. It's all in service to colonizing Mars. Which again, I'm not against, but not "for," either (min understanding for me would be to first establish that 0.38g is congruent with long term human wellbeing, or it's a nonstarter).

6 minutes ago, tater said:

It's like the goons who think this is somehow about making money, or sending rich people to Mars. It's all in service to colonizing Mars. Which again, I'm not against, but not "for," either (min understanding for me would be to first establish that 0.38g is congruent with long term human wellbeing, or it's a nonstarter).

Yeah, the first missions to establish a base should have dedicated medical studies to see if it's even feasible. How long should such a thing take to work out? The first decade or two? Longer? 

And now that I think about it, if Polaris II goes ahead as a Hubble maintenance/boost mission, we'll have to see EVA upgrades, to allow longer spacewalks.

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

And now that I think about it, if Polaris II goes ahead as a Hubble maintenance/boost mission, we'll have to see EVA upgrades, to allow longer spacewalks.

Given the lack of airlock/cargo bay/arm, they might need an EMU as well. Course that would have to be in the trunk?

Just now, tater said:

Given the lack of airlock/cargo bay/arm, they might need an EMU as well. Course that would have to be in the trunk?

Yeah, and Musk did mention developing a 'jetpack' which is just going to be a fancier looking MMU so they could move around without tether length being an issue. The training for that alone will be interesting. Probably won't get many details or images for quite some time though.

38 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Today I learned that Earth looks like Australia from a direct-to-phone satellite. 

Always has been

Posted (edited)

https://www.faa.gov/space/stakeholder_engagement/spacex_starship_ksc

SpaceX Starship-Super Heavy Project at Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39A

Project Updates

Proposed Action

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as the lead Federal agency intends to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to evaluate the potential environmental impacts of issuing a commercial launch Vehicle Operator License to SpaceX for the Starship-Super Heavy launch vehicle at Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at Kennedy Space Center (KSC), Florida. SpaceX proposes to construct launch, landing, and other associated infrastructure at and in proximity to LC-39A. The proposal would also include Starship-Super Heavy launches at LC-39A; recoverable Super Heavy booster and Starship landings at LC-39A or on a droneship; and expendable Super Heavy booster and Starship landings in the ocean.  

SpaceX must obtain a vehicle operator license from FAA for Starship-Super Heavy launch and landing operations. Issuing a vehicle operator license and approving airspace closures is considered a major Federal action under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).  In consideration of SpaceX’s revised proposal, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and FAA have determined that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is the appropriate level of NEPA analysis to address the adjusted scope of Starship-Super Heavy at LC-39A. SpaceX will prepare the EIS under the supervision of the FAA which will serve as the lead agency at NASA’s request. While the 2019 EA prepared by NASA provides an analytical baseline, the environmental impacts of these proposed changes to Starship-Super Heavy LC-39A development and operations will be specifically analyzed in this EIS. 

The EIS will consider the potential environmental impacts of the Proposed Action and the No Action Alternative. The successful completion of the environmental review process does not guarantee that the FAA would issue a Vehicle Operator License. The project must also meet all FAA safety, risk, and indemnification requirements for the appropriate license.

The above was updated Friday.

Edited by tater