SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, CastleKSide said:

The decision not to build a full launchpad with flame diverter plus water deluge and instead go with something looking like piece of concrete modern art always seemed like the most insane out of all thier engineering decisions.

This way looks more immersive for viewers.

P.S
Happily, they hadn't overturned the sensors.

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

Don't think they are logistically workable, considering the supplies and support needed.

Perhaps some combination could be considered, like an upgraded version of a marine drydock. A giant pool that can be flooded with seawater but still connected to land based supply directly.

34 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'll admit, it does seem like an awfully gutsy place to park one's car.

Did they... not anticipate the sort of blast you get from a 5000-ton rocket taking off?  It seems like they didn't expect this much, or surely they would have done something to protect the tank farm, at least (either with distance or with barriers).

Now this person owns a car damaged by Starship and I would bet it's worth a lot more than the car before the launch. Think about it...

7 minutes ago, CastleKSide said:

The decision not to build a full launchpad with flame diverter plus water deluge and instead go with something looking like piece of concrete modern art always seemed like the most insane out of all thier engineering decisions. Yes, even more than rocket catching Kung Fu panda chopsticks.

That concrete didn't stand a chance.

Seeing discussion that the launch pad environment was similar to pyroclastic flow in a volcanic eruption.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

That concrete didn't stand a chance.

Seeing discussion that the launch pad environment was similar to pyroclastic flow in a volcanic eruption.

It was pretty ridiculous to do it without water in the first place. Flat concrete... what did the team think would happen? Pressure waves wrecked few engines at the very start. 

5 minutes ago, CastleKSide said:

Perhaps some combination could be considered, like an upgraded version of a marine drydock. A giant pool that can be flooded with seawater but still connected to land based supply directly.

They tried.

Spoiler

nishinoshima_japancg_2014238_lrg.jpg?w=7162_Whakaari_WhiteIsland_01-1600x1064.jpHunga_Tonga%E2%80%93Hunga_Haapai_volcanifvudt6vu8bxbckaxgz9m.jpg171b1de6255ce56c6c56080bdfb13c4e?impolic

9 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Now this person owns a car damaged by Starship and I would bet it's worth a lot more than the car before the launch. Think about it...

Got you. He could own a house with insurance, damaged by Starship. But it's just a car. Life sucks.

2 minutes ago, CastleKSide said:

The decision not to build a full launchpad with flame diverter plus water deluge and instead go with something looking like piece of concrete modern art always seemed like the most insane out of all thier engineering decisions. Yes, even more than rocket catching Kung Fu panda chopsticks.

Agree, more so that catching an rocket with chopsticks might work, an concrete base is shown not to work even after multiple tries. Now raising the pad is smart then they lift rocket in place anyway. 
Most pads drives the rocket up to the pad upright like most NASA rockets or they drive them in horizontal and raise them like Soyuz, N1 and Falcon class rockets. 
Again thick steel plates, they might want to water cool it. 
And for an crazy idea instead of water towers use pressurized tanks feeding turbo pumps to provide pressure. You only need pressure for some seconds  so fuel use is not an issue. 

7 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Don't think they are logistically workable, considering the supplies and support needed.

Likely true, and retrofit was more trouble than it was worth, probably need to build something from scratch. Maybe an old-school solution from the 60s...

yYadvbY.jpg

OK - I'd heard they weren't flying until the 21st. 

Totally missed this - and the first thing my wife did was tell me it blew up. 

My WIFE!  She's as interested in this as I am in Medieval Lyrical traditions. 

How about a SPOILER ALERT, babe?

Still - great flight.  Looking forward to reading all the speculation when I get a chance 

8 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

Gotta be a bit of a challenge to build all that without disassembling the launch tower, though.

Although today's events might have made a few contributions in that direction already.

Build a pond around the existing tower? Would only get flooded right before launch.

5 minutes ago, BeastHunter said:
2 hours ago, Entropian said:

Am I crazy or was there a noticeable tilt when it was lifting off?

I saw it nearly hit the chopstick. I don’t know if that was planned.

I'm guessing that debris took out multiple engines as it started to lift off the pad, causing a thrust imbalance, and it took a moment to adjust gimbal enough to bring it back to vertical.

EDIT: On second thought, the view from Tim's camera shows an aggressive tilt directly away from the tower, which may have been entirely intentional:

temp.png

Edited by sevenperforce
Reconsidering

You can see the engine-rich leak from the center and then that very very off-nominal plume on the right.

2177295.jpg

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

How many engines can they lose before they can't reach orbit? Cause I count at least 7 being off at one point.

Probably in the realm of 3 or 4. With 7 engines out, the T/W ratio was dangerously low.

Impressive that it remained controllable though.

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

How many engines can they lose before they can't reach orbit? Cause I count at least 7 being off at one point.

I think there's a whole lot of "it depends" there.  Mass of payload, target orbit, which engines are lost, when they're lost...