SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!!!

Now THAT’S more like it!

i think that this qualifies as the most kerbal landing in history, maybe beaten only by that f15 who landed wihtout a wing.

i0m impressed that the leg didn't brake or that the rocket didn't tipped over

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Are they going to land a passenger ship in the same manner?

Absolutely. They'll need to pay more for the sporty landing though. On the plus side, they'll all get a complimentary copy of the landing video when they get back to the space centre. Unlike those cheap-O theme park rides where you have to pay for your photo.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

On the plus side, they'll all get a complimentary copy of the landing video...

5a-k71dsb4RYHQ6OYEo3P0iP19H1yLe6Q3Yxv6Ve

Also, RE: discussion of the emergency pad egress system:

You can see here there are several ziplineOHCRAP! baskets, so the idea is indeed that this could egress the pad crew as well as the flight crew. A “normal” fire breaking out, for example, would be one such use. Looks like there’s an automatic shower in play, too, for fire protection or chemical spill. 

22 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!!!

Now THAT’S more like it!

Finally! A lot of last second translation goin' on there. But it's great to get to see it at last.

from the gateway selection process:

n sum, my comparative assessment of these proposals in the non-price area do not lead me to conclude that a tradeoff to the higher priced proposal is in the best interest of the government, since in my view, SpaceX has the superior Technical Approach, a slightly superior Management Plan, and has, by a small margin, the best Past Performance among the other offerors. This, combined with the fact it also proposed the lowest evaluated price, leads me to select SpaceX for the initial GLS contract based on initial proposals.

As somebody following SpaceX for half  a decade, this feels good to read in an official NASA report. It begins to put to bed the argument old space used to justify their higher prices.

Past performance here doesn't really mean how good their rockets are, but how good they have been at keeping their word when it comes to government contracts.

and that, to me,  seems like the best definition to use when negotiating a new contract.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:56 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

The first east coast droneship landing was CRS-8, 4 years ago to the day.

Yes as I understand they don't even have an landing pad east coast so they have to land on barges. 

35 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Yes as I understand they don't even have an landing pad east coast so they have to land on barges. 

Um, what? SpaceX does have a landing pad at Cape. Actually two of them. Both were used at once for Falcon Heavy side boosters simultaneous landings. Am i missing something?