SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
  Reveal hidden contents

300px-Modern_Problems_Require_Modern_Sol

-_-

Sure looks that way. Do I assume that's a little worker camp? I wonder if they got a bulk deal on Airstreams? I wonder how many Airstreams they could build with all the steel they've scrapped? I know, they're made of aluminum, but.... SpaceX edition Airstreams?

46 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I wonder how many Airstreams they could build with all the steel they've scrapped? I know, they're made of aluminum, but.... SpaceX edition Airstreams?

I mean, Elon said at some point that Tesla could build Cybertrucks out of Starship-surplus steel, so it's not too far-fetched...:P

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I mean, Elon said at some point that Tesla could build Cybertrucks out of Starship-surplus steel, so it's not too far-fetched...:P

Airstreams have a characteristic curved shape. That's not a thing with the steel they are using. Cybertruck is flat planes because they score the surface, then bend, so a steel "airstream" would be more blocky looking (low poly, lol).

Just now, tater said:
Airstreams have a characteristic curved shape. That's not a thing with the steel they are using. Cybertruck is flat planes because they score the surface, then bend, so a steel "airstream" would be more blocky looking (low poly, lol).

I would still totally buy a low-poly Airstream :P

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Had made sense to use some parts just for fun and bragging. 

40 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Can a fridge magnet stick to the Starship?

Since 3xx series stainless steels are (usually, there may be exceptions) austenitic, magnets will not stick to them. Magnets will stick to ferritic or martensitic stainless steels, such as some 400-series stainless steels. Source

E: Correction @kerbiloid:

Type 301 is an austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steel. This alloy is non- magnetic in the annealed condition, but becomes magnetic when cold worked.

Not sure how much cold-working goes into Starship. It is cold-rolled stock they use, so it just may be. Also:

All stainless steel is magnetic except austenitic stainless steel which is actually 300 series stainless such as 304 and 316. However, 300 series stainless is non-magnetic only after it is freshly formed. 304 is almost for sure to become magnetic after cold work such as pressing, blasting, cutting, etc.

But yet my stainless-steel sink is not...

Edited by StrandedonEarth
just Google "is (xxx) stainless steel magnetic?"

This is not what they mean by "cold working". Cold working means you hammer, bend or cut the steel into shape without heating it up, as opposed to working with a red-hot piece. 300s, generally speaking, become magnetic when you do that, though I'm not sure if simple cold rolling (which doesn't put all that much strain on the steel) will suffice. I don't think it will, but I'm not a metalworker, so I don't know for sure. It's all a matter of how much you force the steel to change shape.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But yet my stainless-steel sink is not...

I just did a bit of testing on my stamped stainless steel sink. While the least-worked flat parts seem to be very weakly magnetic, the corners (with the most deformation, obviously) attract the magnet much more strongly. So I would expect the domes and especially the thrust structure to be at least somewhat magnetic, but the main rings probably will only be very weakly magnetic, if at all. Any holes that are cold-cut (not torch-cut) will probably be more magnetic around the edges. But I am also not a metalworker, although long ago I had the start of an engineering education which included some metallurgy. But I probably learned more today from Google than I knew before.

E: Weld zones will probably not be magnetic at all, as the metal has (probably) normalized, depending how quickly it cooled.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I don't imagine the domes will be particularly magnetic--they don't look to be worked into the curved shape. Rather, they're cut in wedge-shaped pieces, and the weld holds them in the dome shape.  Now, if they had formed each dome out of a flat circle of steel, then I'd expect more of the effects from being worked.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, Terwin said:

MMA would be an awful ting to try and convert to zero-g: effective striking would be almost impossible, and attempting to maneuver would be iffy at best.

Ender's Game begs to differ

On 6/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, Terwin said:

MMA would be an awful ting to try and convert to zero-g: effective striking would be almost impossible, and attempting to maneuver would be iffy at best.

Depends on the size of the arena. I imagine bouts of any type would need to adapt to zero-gee: A spherical or ovoid arena, consisting of pushing off the walls and striking/defending on the fly, before reaching another wall and pushing off for another pass. It would be more like jousting than anything else.

43 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Will it be magnetized after reentry?

Reentry should normalize everything, if the steel gets hot enough. And that's the point, that the steel can take the heat, so...

I should clarify that the discussion is whether a magnet will stick to the steel, not if the steel will become a magnet. There may be some weird effects resulting in the hull becoming a magnet if reentry is near the poles, but that's pure conjecture based on the magnetic flux and charged particles found there. Pure guesswork, but I don't know enough physics to figure out if that's even a real possibility.

26 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Depends on the size of the arena. I imagine bouts of any type would need to adapt to zero-gee: A spherical or ovoid arena, consisting of pushing off the walls and striking/defending on the fly, before reaching another wall and pushing off for another pass. It would be more like jousting than anything else.

Reentry should normalize everything, if the steel gets hot enough. And that's the point, that the steel can take the heat, so...

I should clarify that the discussion is whether a magnet will stick to the steel, not if the steel will become a magnet. There may be some weird effects resulting in the hull becoming a magnet if reentry is near the poles, but that's pure conjecture based on the magnetic flux and charged particles found there. Pure guesswork, but I don't know enough physics to figure out if that's even a real possibility.

All "permanent" magnets tend to change their magnetism when they get heated. It's all got to do with crystal "grains" and how they align themselves. (In fact, that's how permanent magnets are made -- the magnetic material is heated up until the grains become flexible, then they are subjected to a strong magnetic field that lines them all up in the same direction.)

It's also why cold working influences magnetic properties. Cold working also changes how grains are aligned, which is why it results in effects like "work hardening" that makes a material both stronger but also more brittle.

Edited by mikegarrison

18 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

This is not what they mean by "cold working". Cold working means you hammer, bend or cut the steel into shape without heating it up, as opposed to working with a red-hot piece. 300s, generally speaking, become magnetic when you do that, though I'm not sure if simple cold rolling (which doesn't put all that much strain on the steel) will suffice. I don't think it will, but I'm not a metalworker, so I don't know for sure. It's all a matter of how much you force the steel to change shape.

Yes, the bulkheads and the nose is stamped plates, that is why its so many segments. Bending for stuff outside the header tanks are pretty small however compared to an kitchen sink who is stamped very radical, surprises me a bit that is even possible with cold stamping. 

21 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Yes, the bulkheads and the nose is stamped plates, that is why its so many segments. Bending for stuff outside the header tanks are pretty small however compared to an kitchen sink who is stamped very radical, surprises me a bit that is even possible with cold stamping. 

Metal is useful stuff. All sorts of shapes can be made from cold-forging, as long as the specific metal being used isn't too brittle.

See this amusingly long list of the many different names for cold-working metal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_working#Processes

Edited by mikegarrison