KSP Weekly: The night that turned into day

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_p0ax2eZZsY1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly everyone. This week we’ll talk about how in the 90s, Soviet scientists built a mirror in the sky to turn night into day. This story begins in the late 1980s, when Vladimir Sergeevich Syromyatnikov, a brilliant astronautical engineer, saw a window of opportunity to test solar sails by proposing this technology as a way to extend daylight and maximize labor efficiency.

You probably know Syromyatnikov as the man who led the development of the Androgynous Peripheral Attach System, a docking system, which, in the 1970s, linked the Soviet and American space capsules in the historic Apollo-Soyuz test flight. He also helped design and develop Vostok, the world’s first manned spacecraft, which launched Yuri Gagarin into space in 1961. And in the 1990s, he updated the design of his docking mechanism for the meeting of the Mir space station and the Atlantis space shuttle. Some of Syromyatnikov’s designs are still in use today by spacecraft visiting the International Space Station.

Syromyatnikov was very interested in solar sail technology, which was purely theoretical back then, and wanted to put this into practice. Solar sails use photons, the particles that make up light, similar to how sails on boats use wind. When sunlight hits a solar sail, photons bounce back and give the sails some momentum, which can be used to propel a spacecraft attached to it. The spacecraft could be controlled by changing the sail’s orientation. This theoretical propulsion system could be extremely useful for interstellar voyages, since it takes advantage of an energy source that’s abundant in space to say the least, and would practically get rid of the need of limited fuel.

Throughout the Soviet era, Russian scientists were obsessed with finding ways to increase the productivity of farmlands and workers in Russia’s northern regions, where days would grow very long in the summer and extremely short in the winter. So Syromyatnikov retooled the focus of his design to function as a space mirror to get backers to support his solar sails: The idea was that the sails would  provide illumination for industrial and natural resource exploitation in remote geographical areas with long polar nights in Siberia and western Russia, allowing outdoor work to proceed round the clock. He assembled a team that would build the satellite that would come to be known as the Znamya (“Banner”). It was, essentially, a 20-meter wide space mirror.

Znamya consisted of a set of thin mirrors made of mylar. Once in orbit, the mirrors would unfold and reflect sunlight back to Earth. Unfortunately, while Syromyatnikov‘s team was working on the project, the USSR ceased to exist. Luckily, the equipment & engineering expertise needed to complete the project were donated by the companies and organizations that survived that transition. Shortly after, Znamya 1 was successfully tested on the ground and, in 1992, Znamya 2 was launched from Earth to the Mir space station and then from Mir into orbit. Once there, it unfolded in eight sections, spanning 20 meters, that deflected sunlight back to earth, and it worked! The satellite reflected a beam of light that was as bright as the Full Moon. A few years later they tried to launch Znamya 2.5, but during the unfolding process one of Mir’s antennas caught and punctured the mirror. The project was abandoned by Roscosmos after the failed deployment.

Although no one has attempted to do something similar ever since, Syromyatnikov’s dream of using solar sails to propel spacecraft through space can still come true. Only time will tell. Let’s move on and talk about KSP development.

[Development news start here]

Update 1.4 is coming along as the team continues to work on the Unity 2017.1 upgrade. This week, for instance, several updates to PartTools for Unity 2017 were completed. Stay tuned for more information on that coming soon.

In other news, the development of the Making History Expansion is moving forward at a good pace. Some of the developers are currently working on a feature that will let both Mission Creators and Mission Players see an overview map of the Mission. Keep in mind this is currently being developed, so the details are by no means finalized. But the current design includes having a list of the missions objectives on the left side of the Tracking Station that you can select and view the location relevant information for each objective node in your mission.

The team has also been busy developing a component that will allow Mission Creators to test their Missions as they are building them. On the main Mission Builder screen, there will be a “Test Mission” button that, if pressed, will open a dialog that will give the Creator various options of how to proceed. Once the Creator is happy with the settings, the Mission will load and the Creator will be able to try out what has been created. Missions in progress of being built will be testable, as long as the Start conditions have been set up. As a Mission Creator, you may want to test your creation at several stages along the way, so this feature will be very useful.

While the developers continue to work on and polish new features, the QA team has been testing implemented Nodes. As in previous issues, we’ll take this opportunity to talk a little bit more in detail about this new batch of nodes (remember that names aren’t final, yet):

• Resource Recovery Node (Location Type): You’ll use this Node if you want Mission Players to bring an amount of a specific resource back to the Home Body - Yeah… you could determine what “Home” is via mod if someone is willing to do so.
  • Recover Funds Node (Location Type): Using this node will allow you to tests if a certain amount of funds have been returned when a vessel is recovered.
  • Take Tourist Node (Location Type): Sometimes Kerbals need a ride, and this node is precisely for that. Set a target and and get your tourist to his/her destination.
  • Recover Kerbal Node (Location Type): If used in context, this node is closely related to the “Rescue Kerbal Node”, but the main difference is that Players will have to recover the Kerbal, as you would do with a vessel from the Tracking Station, so it’s back at the “Available Crew” pane.
  • Create Asteroid Node (Action Type): Do you want Players to mine, destroy and/or divert an Asteroid? This is the node for that.

The art team, on the other hand, wrapped up our Gemini Capsule analogue this week - a two man, 1.875m pod with a 0.625m attachment point.  As promised, you can take a look at a preview pic here.

tumblr_inline_p0ax5nrhyq1rr2wit_540.png

The team also completed our design discussion around better support for engine clusters and began work on the necessary parts and part modules. Additionally, the artists have been working on the implementation of the UI final graphics for the Mission Builder Toolbar.

Meanwhile, the QA team has been deeply involved with Consoles these past weeks. Alongside the external test team, all aspects of the game have been tested over and over, bugs found, fixed, tested again, rinse, repeat. We’ve been keeping our developer friends at Blitworks very busy, and they are doing a admirable job in return. The number of issues that are being found has dropped steadily. Thankfully they are scarce now, but we are very aware of how imaginative and demanding our players are, and rightfully so, that every mad scenario that we can think of is being checked. The team is also ensuring that all Trophies/Achievements work as they should, so you completionists can add KSP to your 100% completion list, too. This has taken quite a significant amount of time from the testers, since it means that someone has to go and get them all to see if they can be achieved.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!  

Happy launchings!

"This has taken quite a significant amount of time from the testers, since it means that someone has to go and get them all to see if they can be achieve"

most can be achieved in sandbox, making it not really that long. lol if one wanted to race to see how fast they could,   one can string together missions.  

but i appreciate the effort as ive been missing only the broken one since a few days after launch

Looks muddy and not well-defined, also pretty color-homogeneous. it's basically uninteresting to look at. A good additional part, though. I wonder if there would be a way to mesh-switch it to a 1.25m nose? Almost looks like there's a separation point for that.

The team also completed our design discussion around better support for engine clusters and began work on the necessary parts and part modules.

I am very interested in the implementation for this.

Edited by regex

Does anyone know how KSP Consoles will be released? For Example will it be a entire new game, or a Update. Also if it's a new game will data from KSP Colsoles be transferable to the new game or not? Thanks if you know and should you know please cite the release so I can read all the details for my self

Yet another "uppdated news" without any real interesting news.. ..  ""sorry".
Release the upcomming DLC or Mutiplayer patch, nothing els matter at this time.
The game is now "old" just waiting for real news that actual bring somethin new to the game.
Very very very slow development.

Sorry to sound that harch, but development is going in slow motion, and almost in reverse gear.

Edited by Peder

44 minutes ago, Peder said:

Yet another "uppdated news" without any real interesting news.. ..  ""sorry".
Release the upcomming DLC or Mutiplayer patch, nothing els matter at this time.
The game is now "old" just waiting for real news that actual bring somethin new to the game.
Very very very slow development.

Sorry to sound that harch, but development is going in slow motion, and almost in reverse gear.

What are you talking about Multiplayer Patch is that a Rumor or Confirmed. 

5 hours ago, regex said:

Looks muddy and not well-defined, also pretty color-homogeneous. it's basically uninteresting to look at. A good additional part, though. I wonder if there would be a way to mesh-switch it to a 1.25m nose? Almost looks like there's a separation point for that.

I am very interested in the implementation for this.

tumblr_inline_p0ax5nrhyq1rr2wit_1280.png

Full res images help :)

Could do with some red accents like the original, but otherwise I'm liking the increased texture fidelity from what's currently in the game. Awesome job guys!

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Is this Gemini craft Capable of EVA, I presume so put I don't see any ladders, are they coming or is it their just not in the texture.

That's because the original does not have a ladder on it.  And it would be a very poor capsule indeed if you could not EVA from it...

Just now, RoverDude said:

That's because the original does not have a ladder on it.  And it would be a very poor capsule indeed if you could not EVA from it...

Thanks rover dude for the info never noticed that

RoverDude is it possible in the next weekly a compiled list of statistics about the new update for consoles can be released, such as if it will be a new game to download and if so if data is transferable... It would be a good tool because it would help put down strange rumors and also give some clarity, it can be hard to scroll though each weekly looking for new info thanks

43 minutes ago, razark said:

That red is inside the hatch, and would only be visible with the hatches open.

There is red on other parts of the capsule - though going through google images nothing seems consistent. I'm wondering if sets like these  were accurate, or if it was all artistic liberty to create a little more definition.

Edited by Daishi

6 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I agree with this @razark but a little touch to it wouldn't be a solid color would be nice

On a "normal" capsule, I'd probably agree, but since it's a historically based design, I'm alright with it.

Although, as @Daishi mentions, images seem somewhat inconsistent.  There does seem to be a bit more of visual interest to them.  It doesn't help that the ones on display are missing their doors, though.

7 minutes ago, razark said:

On a "normal" capsule, I'd probably agree, but since it's a historically based design, I'm alright with it.

Although, as @Daishi mentions, images seem somewhat inconsistent.  There does seem to be a bit more of visual interest to them.  It doesn't help that the ones on display are missing their doors, though.

They do have their doors

6 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The art team, on the other hand, wrapped up our Gemini Capsule analogue this week - a two man, 1.875m pod with a 0.625m attachment point.  As promised, you can take a look at a preview pic here.

The team also completed our design discussion around better support for engine clusters and began work on the necessary parts and part modules. Additionally, the artists have been working on the implementation of the UI final graphics for the Mission Builder Toolbar.

9 minutes ago, razark said:

The doors are Their but they are Barely Visable I couldn't find them on the dark side of earth 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.