Shower thoughts

p1t1o

The proper definition of a duck:

Either the proper dictionary definition: any of various swimming birds (family Anatidae, the duck family) in which the neck and legs are short, the feet typically webbed, the bill often broad and flat, and the sexes usually different from each other in plumage

or the one I prefer:

An all-terrain chicken

I've never asked what's the name of "tvorog" in English.
Now I had. It's "quark".

This is what the whole Universe consists of:

Spoiler

1280px-Latte_016.jpg

But that's not all.

"Tvorog" is from "tvorit' , tvariti", "to create".

So, the ancient Slavs intuitively understood that the world is created from quarks!

Probably now I should search for old Slavic "leptons"

Edited by kerbiloid

11 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend

So, as both my enemies are enemies to each other, both of them are my friends.

So,

13 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

Who's a friend? An enemy who has not attacked you yet?

a friend is an alternative enemy.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Why are things hot or cold? If our bodies adapted to the cold, would we perceive cold things as hot, and vice versa?

Relative temperature activating neurons.  Nothing really is absolutely cold or hot, more just relative. So yes, what you might find hot or cold isn't to someone who has a different calibration point for normal temperature. But everything would still be relative (something colder than you would still be cold, something hotter than you would still be hot)

55 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Another thing, when the water is really hot and I put my hands under it for example, it's so hot that it actually feels cold...

welcome to thermal shock 101

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Relative temperature activating neurons.  Nothing really is absolutely cold or hot, more just relative. So yes, what you might find hot or cold isn't to someone who has a different calibration point for normal temperature. But everything would still be relative (something colder than you would still be cold, something hotter than you would still be hot)

not really temperature but the exchange of heat energy going on between your body and the environment. Heat's going out, you feel cold. Heat's coming in, you feel hot. Or so I'm told.

The "calibration" thing is just sensory adaptation.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:00 AM, kerbiloid said:

a friend is an alternative enemy.

no, a friend is just an enemy-1

They say, time is resource.

Then we should have tanks or containers for the resource. And pipelines.
In KSP also.

Let's send crafts, equipped with time scoops, to, say, Eeloo or Pluto.
They will be flying for a century, filling the time tanks, then return back.

Then we can put the collected time in a starship (not SpX, but a real one) and reach Proxima in minutes just by spending the accumulated time  from the tanks.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Another thing, when the water is really hot and I put my hands under it for example, it's so hot that it actually feels cold...

Oh yeah IIRC we only have proper themoreceptors between a certain temperature range. Beyond that, it just activates pain. So super hot and super cold things (or heat transfers) feels roughly the same.

I think at least. You have to double check me....

1 hour ago, Aperture Science said:

not really temperature but the exchange of heat energy going on between your body and the environment. Heat's going out, you feel cold. Heat's coming in, you feel hot. Or so I'm told.

The "calibration" thing is just sensory adaptation.

Actually, yeah you're more correct here. hence why poor thermal conductors at the same temperature dont feel as hot/cold as good ones.

Edited by qzgy

7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Basically your cold sensors are sensitive to cold but really bad at sensing hot. It's kind of a bell curve, like your color sensors. When something is really hot it can send a strong enough signal to activate your hot and cold sensors at the same time. So super hot things feel hot and cold simultaneously.

Minutes from 50 years ago, three fellows rocketed towards the moon guided by computers that rivaled a dollar store calculator. Rocketry had only been around for around 20 years. Now we can use computers to create a physically accurate simulation of that mission and even land boosters back on earth, yet we haven’t been back to the moon for over 40 years. 

I suppose rivalry is a stronger incentive than technological capability. 

Ah! I finally got it!

KSP 0.7.3 was the first public release, published in June 24th, 2011.

KSP 1.7.3 was published in 11th July, 2019. 8 years and 16 days later. Or exacts 8 * 365 + 2 (leap years) + 16 == 2938 days.

From KSP 0.7.3 to 1.0.0 (27th April, 2015), they took 3 years, 4 months and 3 days. Or 3 * 365 + 1 (leap year) + 117 (days from 1st Jan to 27th April on a non leap year) == 1213 days. Or ~41.28659% of the whole development time for public releases.

So I conclude, using data pulled out of my hat and using uncorrelated figures I found by inferring numbers without any meaningful reason, that KSP 2.0.0 will be published on 19th, November 2022 !

(yep. pre-deploy anxiety. :sticktongue:)

Was thinking this while watching an Apollo documentary last night on tv: if Apollo 11 failed, would NASA simply try again? Would they be able to make the decade deadline set by Kennedy?