Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

Italians and Russians are a very Kerbal combination!

From Space Age looking steam locomotives (yes, steam) for Siberia:

lg2.jpg

Ekranoplans:

lg7.jpg

These designs are really, really, really incredibly Kerbal. 

https://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/05/extravagant-designs-by-luigi-colani.html

Of course, this crazily creative designer also made some industrial designs for Germany:

lg4.jpg

And for Japan:

lg9.jpg

And some "prosaic" automobiles:

lg10.jpg

lg14.jpg

The Kerbal Way™ has no limits!

"We had 2 cabinets of film, 75 lenses of varying focal lengths, 5 different trigger systems, a box half-full of filters, a whole collection of flash diffusers, color correction lenses, and two dozen batteries. Not that we needed all that for the shoot, but once you get locked into filming a nuclear explosion, the tendency is to go all out."

h79btb2SCww.jpg?size=1080x788&quality=95

There's a theory that the Japanese abandoned shields because they had an archery-focused nobility with mega-pauldrons. However, the various Eastern Siberian tribes went further. A whole lot further.

scale_720

scale_720

scale_720

In Russian sources, it's known simply as a wing. Yes, this made curling up into a ball a legitimate battle tactic.

09yMPgKUv-o.jpg?size=1288x1252&quality=9

"Don't throw the rock away. Without it, the elevator doesn't work for children"

Posted on VK with a subtitle: now this is what we in IT call a "crutch"

Bisnovat SK-1 . 

Man, it surely looks fast - but also looks… "weird". :) 

I found only two videos about it on Youtube, the more interesting one is below:

18 hours ago, DDE said:

The Chinese Air Firce museum has... well... a MiG-15 Alley. That's over two dozen J-2s and JJ-2s.

They might be different variants though. The lineup of J-6s (MiG-19 license built) is long too, but it is actually mostly different variants, because they made a lot of prototypes with minor improvements and then never mass produced them (it was the 70s).

Hey, did we have this one yet?

An-71 Madcap

1002439.jpg

Probably the nicest integration of an AWACS antenna ever.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DDE said:

An-71 Madcap

1002439.jpg

You know, I really like Russian designs. I concede that not all of them are practical, but I enjoy the attempt nevertheless.

You guys need to see what these guys did with computers in the 80s and 90s. :)

Disclaimer:

Spoiler

This statement should be seen in the technical context. Under no circumstances it should be considered as an endorsement for absolutely anything else.

Edited by Lisias
Disclaimer.

11 hours ago, DDE said:

An-71 Madcap

1002439.jpg

Agree now the engine placement is weird but I assume this is designed to work from dirt runways. 
Now as engine sized increases they probably have to stop putting them below the wings. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Agree now the engine placement is weird but I assume this is designed to work from dirt runways.

It helps on it, but the real reason is a thingy called Powered Lift.

See the NASA QSRA for reference.

The gains are good enough to some military jets used (some still do) it, as the F-104 on landings (acting like flaps). But not that good to be used by most commercial and/or civilian jets.

14 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Powered lift + dirt runways. Boeing had a very similar-looking wannabe C-130 replacement.

The regular An-72 gets a lot of mileage, even at the top of the world (An-74 has a navigator and beefed up batteries and APU, you know, the cold weather start-up shebang).

37_4.jpg

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Powered lift + dirt runways. Boeing had a very similar-looking wannabe C-130 replacement.

The regular An-72 gets a lot of mileage, even at the top of the world (An-74 has a navigator and beefed up batteries and APU, you know, the cold weather start-up shebang).

37_4.jpg

The Reversor is algo pretty interesting:

1024px-Antonov_An-74_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The interesting thing on this video is that while designing my own crafts, I got exactly the same problems and ended up exactly with the same results.

For example, when using flaps, I usually trim the elevators slightly down to compensate the tendency to have the nose up.

Watching these videos can help you to make better planes on KSP! (and vice versa!)

Besides that, this is an incredibly detailed tutorial on how to turn up these old beats of the past!! :)