[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

Can someone please help me modding the power generation of solar panels to scale with a rescaled Kerbal system, without making them melt the batteries close to Moho and already going dead beyond Jool?

Basically I would like to enlarge the stock system but keep power generated by solar panels the same relative to the orbits of the planets. So, similar to the table in this wiki page:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Electric_charge#Solar_panels

And the property "-mass"?

I'm working on the HarderSolarSystem.cfg, adding OPM support to it. I'm just trying to learn why things are in there already, and it has this for jool:

@Body[Jool]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%inclination = 24.262642
			%longitudeOfAscendingNode = 2.501226
			%argumentOfPeriapsis = 49.71226
		}
		@Properties
		{
			-mass = dummy
			geeASL = 2.304
		}
	}

Any idea what is with the -mass = dummy line?

4 hours ago, Errol said:

What is the property geeASL for?

mass, gravParameter and geeASL define the same property of the planet

they are all calculated one from the other, so you just need one of the 3

rules are:

• if none are defined

geeASL from the Template is used to calculate mass and gravParameter

• if only one is defined

the other two will be calculated from the one that is defined

• if more than one is defined

gravParameter takes priority over the other two, mass takes priority over geeASL

math used to convert:

• geeASL = ( gravParameter / radius^2 ) / 9.8065
  • gravParameter = mass * 6.67408e-11

Edited by Sigma88

Does documentation for this exist somewhere? The OP mentions it, but doesn't have a link. 

My question is, what are all the parameters available to define for rings? Is it just angle and lockrotation?

EDIT: (clarification) I want to make the rings stay alinged with a particular LAN, so that I can have it at an angle and have moons inclined at similar angles so that they are always near the angled rings. With lockrotation set to true the rings keep their alignment during the game, and will return to the correct alignment after high time warp, but the game seemingly starts them out at a random alignment, so it is impossible to get my moons to stay near the rings from session to session. 

Edited by Errol

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, KerbMav said:

Can someone please help me modding the power generation of solar panels to scale with a rescaled Kerbal system, without making them melt the batteries close to Moho and already going dead beyond Jool?

Basically I would like to enlarge the stock system but keep power generated by solar panels the same relative to the orbits of the planets. So, similar to the table in this wiki page:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Electric_charge#Solar_panels

Solar panels should keep their power output relative to the planets without you having to do anything.  The chargeRate defined in the solar panel configs is the rate that you get at the home world.  Moving the home world closer to or farther away from the sun doesn't change this.  The charge rate at other distances is computed from the value at the home world and adjusted according to the inverse square law.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Solar panels should keep their power output relative to the planets without you having to do anything.  The chargeRate defined in the solar panel configs is the rate that you get at the home world.  Moving the home world closer to or farther away from the sun doesn't change this.  The charge rate at other distances is computed from the value at the home world and adjusted according to the inverse square law.

Neat. Did not no KSP always sets Kerbin's orbit as a constant there. Thanks.

I have what might be a silly question, but might not be.

Is there a way, or any reason why I could not, put a Ring on a Star, I was thinking that this could be used to represent Asteroid Belts for now?

What does everybody think? and is it even possible?

Edited by Pretorian28715

1 hour ago, Pretorian28715 said:

I have what might be a silly question, but might not be.

Is there a way, or any reason why I could not, put a Ring on a Star, I was thinking that this could be used to represent Asteroid Belts for now?

What does everybody think? and is it even possible?

Why not just put an asteroid belt?

Edited by Galileo

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Why not just put an asteroid belt?

Erm...  How? and does it only add 1, 2 or n, and define an area for them to spawn?

Specifically because My System Pack has Belts and I wanted to represent the orbit/location with something [a Ring, which would represent a region where they should be], and so I could only add the 'important' ones without causing too much clutter.

So in general could it be done?

2 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Erm...  How? and does it only add 1, 2 or n, and define an area for them to spawn?

Specifically because My System Pack has Belts and I wanted to represent the orbit/location with something [a Ring, which would represent a region where they should be], and so I could only add the 'important' ones without causing too much clutter.

So in general could it be done?

You can add as many as you like, with a within defined limits of an SMA 

7 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Sorry to be a pain....

But firstly, how would I do that? what is the code/mod?

and Second, would there be any issue with a Ring on a Star?

Kopernicus itself can add asteroids. You will have to look for an example. I'm sure you can google it

I have never tried to put a ring on a star.

1 hour ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Can someone please tell me what this means: -

https://pastebin.com/DtwQKvsh

It is from the *.Body.log file?

you are missing a texture, probably a heightmap or something like that

and by missing, it means either the texture is not where it is supposed to be, or you put the wrong name in the cfg

7 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

you are missing a texture, probably a heightmap or something like that

and by missing, it means either the texture is not where it is supposed to be, or you put the wrong name in the cfg

[face/palm] ^3

The one thing I forgot to adjust in the Excel file....

oh well, should not forget it again in a hurry [I hope]

@Sigma88 Thanks again.

56 minutes ago, tmccreight651 said:

this is probably a silly question and has probably been answered many times, but how do i rename planets? like for example take the "the" of the mun's name so that it is just called Mun again

displayName = Mun in the properties node.

Edited by Galileo

Hm, I'm having planet scaledSpace textures randomly unloading (turning solid white). Could this possibly be tied to high memory usage with EVE/would it be a better idea to integrate new ScaledSpace textures with TextureReplacer?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.