Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

The fun continues!

If I was a progressive Congressman who wanted to phase out SLS in favor of commercial space, I would attack SLS as "a multi-billion dollar program with ballooning costs and numerous delays, all just to send toys into a distant lunar orbit".

Snoopy plushy around the Moon is still really cool though!

1 hour ago, tater said:

So a mere $93B for 1 test flight, and 2 all-up flights. 4 seats per flight. Only $11B/astronaut! Such a bargain!

I should be fair and yank the HLS numbers out of that. So ~$85B for the SLS/Orion bit.

That's ~$10.6B/seat.

If HLS gets done for Artemis III to actually land astronauts, then HLS will have cost an additional $~1.9B/seat—but the vehicle is reusable, and that seems to include an additional $4.6B for "not Starship" somehow. For just LSS, it's $725M/seat.

VlnB7T4.png

9 minutes ago, tater said:

szxFKIu.png

NG is now 2024 per BO. SLS is now NET mid 2022. SS/SH is either late 2021, or early 2022 pending FAA.

TLI data from NASA is nice to see.

Why BO, why should you decline NASA's request to have informations about your rocket

27 minutes ago, tater said:

I should be fair and yank the HLS numbers out of that. So ~$85B for the SLS/Orion bit.

That's ~$10.6B/seat.

If HLS gets done for Artemis III to actually land astronauts, then HLS will have cost an additional $~1.9B/seat—but the vehicle is reusable, and that seems to include an additional $4.6B for "not Starship" somehow. For just LSS, it's $725M/seat.

VlnB7T4.png

Q1 2024 for "Uncrewed Lunar Landing" per this schedule.

If SX is ready before then, is there any reason for them to wait?  i.e. do you think SX is counting on NASA money for their lunar landing attempts, or working independently and 'just working NASA into their own plans / timetable"?

Be fair, let's include a DIVH and Orion for OFT-1.

Still. $93B for 4 missions.

Reminder that Apollo cost $284B in today's money for 10 Saturn I missions, 9 Saturn 1B missions, 13 Saturn V missions, and 2 Surplus Saturn Vs.

#Cheaper #Sustainable #Sarcasm

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If SX is ready before then, is there any reason for them to wait?  i.e. do you think SX is counting on NASA money for their lunar landing attempts, or working independently and 'just working NASA into their own plans / timetable"?

SpaceX doesn't need NASA's money to do this. Then again, neither does BO.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tater said:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20210022080/downloads/HEOMD-007 HEO SCOPE - 09-28-2021 NTRS.pdf

How could a document regarding Moon to Mars be published in September, 2021, and not have the HLS system they announced 5 months previous in the document?

Probably because the HLS/SS award was still being contested? Don’t have time to actually read it yet…

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Probably because the HLS/SS award was still being contested? Don’t have time to actually read it yet…

Then wait on the document, as LSS is the 900 lb gorilla in the room.