[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Is this relative to surface rotation, or is the 24-hour loop not considered?

Also, gotta say, that eccentric orbit drop from the sky looks a little extreme for reentry of a human-rated vehicle, but maybe it does relatively softer aerobraking passes like Apollo did?.

I think the key is the earth centric view.  Change the view to be sun centric and then the path won't look so extreme 

7 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Still doesn’t beat Voyager.    Until Artemis has a meat payload, they’re the same thing.  

As one of conspiracy theories told that Lunokhod was driven by a suicidal midget spaceman sitting inside, we should not ignore the possibility that Voyagers are also based on the midget-in-the-middle scheme.

Somehow the idea of Kerbals flying in Mk1 for decades has appeared from somewhere...

This would also explain, how did they update the software, point the antenna, and so on, for decades, with technologies of early 1970s.

Edited by kerbiloid

15 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

"Orion will be entering a distant retrograde orbit beyond the moon, breaking the record set by Apollo 13 for the [greatest distance from Earth achieved] by a [pressurized spacecraft with sufficient internal volume to hold multiple humans and an outer mold line suitable for controlled atmospheric re-entry] at 248,655 miles from Earth."

Although I wonder if even that is true. It seems to me that there's a pretty substantial difference between the distance to the Moon at perigee and at apogee, which might need to be taken into consideration.

At perigee, the moon can be as close to Earth as 356,400 km (221,500 miles), while at apogee it can be as far as 406,700 km (252,700 miles).

So if any of the Apollo missions took place close to apogee, their command module parking orbits may well have been farther from Earth's surface than Orion.

It's also unclear whether the number provided by NASA above is actually a measurement of distance from Earth's surface or if it is based on distance from the center of the Earth.

Wayne hale agrees 

8 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Is this relative to surface rotation, or is the 24-hour loop not considered?

Also, gotta say, that eccentric orbit drop from the sky looks a little extreme for reentry of a human-rated vehicle, but maybe it does relatively softer aerobraking passes like Apollo did?.

I'm not sure Apollo did anything but direct atmospheric entry, but Orion will be doing a skip-reentry 

Orion Spacecraft to Test New Entry Technique on Artemis I Mission | NASA

9 minutes ago, Barzon said:

I'm not sure Apollo did anything but direct atmospheric entry

If it didn't, it would face 30 g instead of 7. It was gliding in a re-entry corridor.

10 minutes ago, Barzon said:

Orion will be doing a skip-reentry 

Gliding is not necessary a skip-reentry. To the moment it's a single re-entry.

The intrigue is: will they test a normally controlled re-entry, or a non-controlled emergency case.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

midget-in-the-middle scheme

The internet generates so many clever phrases I long ago became mostly jaded.  But you have broken through that ice and gave me a good laugh here.  Thanks for that. 

The image in my head of a midget aboard one of the  Voyagers reading a well worn copy of Hitchhikers Guide for the 23,583th time will be treasured 

They altered the gopros, or at least some of them. Different lenses, added heaters, etc.

I would expect that they'd have large depth of field, particularly in that bright environment, otherwise I might think it was motion blur (the spacecraft is always fixed, as the cameras are stuck to it). But you'd think the exposure time would be incredibly short, else they'd blow out all the white, so that seems unlikely.

8 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

It's a GoPro camera, off the shelf. It probably has some autofocus issues focusing on something that is a few meters away and also something that is hundreds of thousands of kilometers away in the same shot.

@intelliCom

Tater posted this up thread and I found it informative 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It’s about time! Jim Free got the memo.

Orion does indeed hold the record for farthest distance traveled by a mission with a spacecraft designed to carry humans to deep space and safely return them to Earth.

NASA - NSSDCA - Spacecraft - Details

:( I miss you Snoopy

52 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will the modules of gateway be similar to ISS modules or will they be different?

Also, will it need to reboost?

3rd question, will dragon XL be needed for resupplying gateway when starship is a thing?

Stationkeeping for NRHO is minimal, and that's what the PPE is for.

On 11/24/2022 at 12:59 AM, kerbiloid said:

As one of conspiracy theories told that Lunokhod was driven by a suicidal midget spaceman sitting inside, we should not ignore the possibility that Voyagers are also based on the midget-in-the-middle scheme.

Somehow the idea of Kerbals flying in Mk1 for decades has appeared from somewhere...

This would also explain, how did they update the software, point the antenna, and so on, for decades, with technologies of early 1970s.

yeah I loved Omon Ra