How come Restock isn't implemented into stock yet?

Bej Kerman

I'm guessing because it's an entirely different group of people working on it?  And even if they wanted to, Squad couldn't just appropriate their work?  (And I'm not sure they want to - they're doing their own update of the assets, after all.)

It's like asking why hasn't Kerbal Alarm Clock been implemented into stock, which happens to be maintained by one of the devs.   Go through the list of mods written by the actual game devs, and you'll see quite a number of them, some of which really should be stock.   SQUAD has their reasons, and those are reasons we'll never know. 

I can think of five good reasons, excellent reasons, actually, but the best is that if I thought of an ingenious mod and wanted to implement it but knew it was just going to get taken and watered down by someone else, I might feel I have no reason to share it with others.  No glory: no gain.

Congratulations to Squad (and Take 2 ongoing) for nurturing such a vibrant -- and ingenious -- modding community and giving it free rein.  I have nothing but gratitude.

5 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Restock is basically already being integrated, sort of. Squad are in the process of revamping the part catalogue.

I mean... if you call making bad parts into new bad parts "integrating restock", then yes, it's being integrated. :) 

36 minutes ago, DylanSemrau said:

I mean... if you call making bad parts into new bad parts "integrating restock", then yes, it's being integrated. :) 

Don't be so harsh, most of the revamped parts aren't that bad. It's just that they have a completely different art style to Restock, which makes it a matter of preference. I prefer the stock style personally, but it's up to you.

32 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Don't be so harsh, most of the revamped parts aren't that bad. It's just that they have a completely different art style to Restock, which makes it a matter of preference. I prefer the stock style personally, but it's up to you.

Which one?

12 hours ago, minepagan said:

Which one?

You bring up a good point; having a homogenous aesthetic and consistent design style would come across as only having one artist working on the dev team and would be a disservice to the days, weeks and months of hard work that the multiple artists put in that work on the game.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:34 PM, Bej Kerman said:

how come Restock isn't implemented into stock yet?

It's not the game dev's place to absorb people's mods. If they did then legal and maintenance nightmares would result. Anything that Squad builds in that clearly resembles a mod tries very hard to not be identical to that mod, which could also cause legal nightmares.

• Stock delta Vee is not™ Precise Maneuver + DMagic's Basic dV (rather, Basic dV hijacks it like an evil spirit).
  • Stock CommNet is not™ RemoteTech.
  • KerbNet is not™ SCANsat.
  • The Mk2 plane parts are not™ PorkJet's Spaceplane Plus (the fuselage shape is different).
  • The mods made by Squad members themselves do not™ resemble anything built-in.
    • TriggerAu's Alternate Resource Panel is a mod of the stock resource panel...
    • TriggerAu's Kerbal Alarm Clock has no built-in counterpart...
    • JPLRepo's ResearcBodies, Endurance (Interstellar movie) ship, TAC life support....
    • RoverDude's USI suite...... (though, RoverDude made the stock ISRU system)

It is, however, the game dev's place to try to come up with new features that have not yet been done by mods and usually, virtually cannot be done by mods.

• The new planet surface shader.
  • Uh... New shaders in general (see the reflective metal shader where it all began).
  • Making History's Mission Builder.
  • Krakentech-alike parts (robotics) that don't break down as easily as raw krakentech. (Robotics mods came first by a long shot, actually, but have been pretty...scarce and non-functional.)
  • Dynamic heat limits when deployable parts are deployed.
  • Potential would-be features not listed as to not derail the topic into "What I want Squad to make..."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.