Unwise Choice On Releasing Trailer This Early?

Note: There is a very high chance I'm very incorrect, since I live under a rock and this is the only game I've been actively waiting for, and I have no idea if this time of waiting is the norm.

The trailer was released in August of 2019. Between August and May/June (my predicted release months) is a lot of time. 9-10 months, to be exact. We're halfway through the wait, and hype seems to be getting lower and lower. People seem to be caring less about KSP2's amazing features, and even I have stopped getting shivers down my spine when I think of planetary bases and interstellar exploration. (But maybe I just need to listen to the trailer at full volume again, that seems to do the trick for me.)

My theory: these are connected. Star Theory might have released the trailer and announced the game too early. Because of this, the excitement people have been holding for the first few months seems to be slowly decaying, lowering the number of serious discussion posts and leaving room for the "wow this game is gonna be horrible" posts to seep through.

If Star Theory announced it in January, they could tell us the release date just when we started getting bored of being hyped, and we might get re-hyped and an exact time to look forward to.

I don't know if 9-10 months is the typical stretch of time between trailer announcements and game releases, but if so, then the video game industry has it all wrong. They will lose hype too early before release, just like KSP2 is experiencing, and when they release the exact date, they might not gain enough hype to get enough popularity further on.

I don't know if I'm totally incorrect here (in which case, be sure to let me know why so I can learn and revise), but I think the choice in releasing the trailer wasn't the best of ideas. Let me know what you think about this.

The KSP2 section of the forum has only really died down because we have run out of new information long ago, the ratio between interesting information sharing and bored/impatient folks just flat out posting very questionable filler has passed the critical turning point where many forumites have just given up on sticking around. Normally it would be a terrible idea for a "fad game" to generate hype too long before launch since sales ride almost entirely on temporary popularity, KSP however has never been a fad, KSP2 has no reason to try becoming a fad either. KSP2 will in all likelihood keep selling well for an incredibly much longer time than most games, huge initial sales would barely do anything more than alter the curve.

The early teaser was a good way to let the community know that we no longer have to sit in the suggestion section for KSP1 day and night to come up with incremental duct tape to take it further, it also served to generate a mountain of feedback and ideas in this forum section that could be used to refine the foundation of KSP2 long BEFORE it ends up in the hands of us players and Star Theory can no longer rip out a system that doesn't do its job. Whether this was the intent of an early teaser or if it was a happy bonus isn't something I'd know, all I know is that right after this mountain of feedback was created Star Theory immediately went almost totally silent and pushed the launch date furter into the future, I'll take that as a good sign unless they suddenly show up and flat out say it was unrelated.

Yes, but GTA and RDR are expected to reach much wider audience.

You know, when new game like one of these is announced, the whole world just goes WOOOOOOOO

But I don't think anyone aside from dedicated ksp players went WOOOOOO when they showed the trailer at the conference, let alone people who had no idea of the existence of ksp in the first place.

Then again, as seen in my example above in the other thread, the elder scrolls are quite popular, and Bethesda literally posted one short teaser for the sixth game, in June 2018 and then nothing.  Buuut it's Bethesda, better known as the creators of fallout 76, so maybe the example isn't the best.

As I've mentioned in the top post, I know only a little about what I'm talking about (this is another case of Pretending To Know What I'm Talking About Even Though I Don'tTM), and thanks to you, now I know what kinds of things I was incorrect about in the OP (a lot) and what I was right about (not a lot).

I apologize for being this unintelligent about the matter.

My two cents is that I think they released the trailer at a pretty good time all things considered, the original KSP that we all know and love has slowed down a lot with activity and happenings so kinda having this on the horizon gave a lot of people the jolt they needed to hop back into the game and create more enthusiasm for the series as a whole. There was definitely some strategy in their decision to release the trailer when they did.

14 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

The KSP2 section of the forum has only really died down because we have run out of new information long ago, the ratio between interesting information sharing and bored/impatient folks just flat out posting very questionable filler has passed the critical turning point where many forumites have just given up on sticking around. Normally it would be a terrible idea for a "fad game" to generate hype too long before launch since sales ride almost entirely on temporary popularity, KSP however has never been a fad, KSP2 has no reason to try becoming a fad either. KSP2 will in all likelihood keep selling well for an incredibly much longer time than most games, huge initial sales would barely do anything more than alter the curve.

The early teaser was a good way to let the community know that we no longer have to sit in the suggestion section for KSP1 day and night to come up with incremental duct tape to take it further, it also served to generate a mountain of feedback and ideas in this forum section that could be used to refine the foundation of KSP2 long BEFORE it ends up in the hands of us players and Star Theory can no longer rip out a system that doesn't do its job. Whether this was the intent of an early teaser or if it was a happy bonus isn't something I'd know, all I know is that right after this mountain of feedback was created Star Theory immediately went almost totally silent and pushed the launch date furter into the future, I'll take that as a good sign unless they suddenly show up and flat out say it was unrelated.

Whatever was there, but I'm also unhappy. The game is an important thing, but not as much as some secret police affairs so as not to tell us the release date. I do not like to wait for the weather from the sea. I need a release date, approximate

It just infuriates me all. Is it really so difficult for developers to create a post and share new information about the development status and release date - 

Just now, kerbiloid said:

I don't care about KSP-2. If KSP-1 had been debugged and was supporting moar parts per ship, it's absolutely enough for me.
So, I look at KSP-2 only from this pov.

KSP 1 is an obsolete 2011 game. And this must be said greatly limits the possibilities.
Plus, to make it a good game - you need to download a lot of mods, which causes an imbalance and errors.
KSP2 should save practical from all shortcomings.

At least here are my assumptions: 1. KPS2 will use all the capabilities of modern computers. 2. KSP2 will require 50% mods to make it playable. This is the first thing that comes to mind.

KSP1 is already rotten. We need fresh potatoes with a modern outlook on space exploration.

Spoiler

Картинки по запросу KSP 2

Edited by OOM

1 minute ago, OOM said:

KSP 1 is an obsolete 2011 game. And this must be said greatly limits the possibilities.
Plus, to make it a good game - you need to download a lot of mods, which causes an imbalance and errors.
KSP2 should save practical from all shortcomings.

what the? obsolete? are you serious now?I have to disagree, strongly, i have seen plenty of ''new'' games worth nothing compared even to some early kerbal versions.

I, uhhh, i am speechless, reading your statement makes me shiver.

Just now, Boyster said:

what the? obsolete? are you serious now?I have to disagree, strongly, i have seen plenty of ''new'' games worth nothing compared even to some early kerbal versions.

I, uhhh, i am speechless, reading your statement makes me shiver.

Have you ever played a real KSP?

Or settled on large primitive rockets?

At least KSP1 does not use the power of the computer, everything rests on the old engine.

1.8.1 partially corrected the situation, but still KSP1 has a lot of problems - which can only be solved by releasing KSP2

Edited by OOM

Just now, OOM said:

Have you ever played a real KSP?

Or settled on large primitive rockets?

I have colonized almost all planets, with multiple support bases and stations, also i have made my own system of how much a kerbal can live and has to rotate, also how many days a vessel can be in space and many things more.

Yes its a bit of extra work with notepads and things but i can work with it and the game is still not offered me everything.

I do not understand you, you maybe not the biggest fan of Kerbal but to say its obsolete, i am sorry but it just makes me furious.

Especially with triple A games that come every year with not even 1/10 of the content.

39 minutes ago, OOM said:

It has been upgraded many times in sense of both Unity version and abilities.

to make it a good game - you need to download a lot of mods,

Why do you think, in KSP-2 won't?

It will at least lack BDArmory, KSPI-E, Hangar, MechJeb, TCA, and many other things, excessive for casuals.

We need fresh potatoes with a modern outlook on space exploration.

This picture perfectly illustrates what I said: just moar parts per ship and stability.
We have a lot of various station parts of different styles in KSP-1 mods, while any stock game like KSP-2 can have only one of them. Or still require mods.
Say, I prefer Tantares-like station modules.

33 minutes ago, OOM said:

At least KSP1 does not use the power of the computer, everything rests on the old engine.

They both use Unity engine.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, Boyster said:

I have colonized almost all planets, with multiple support bases and stations, also i have made my own system of how much a kerbal can live and has to rotate, also how many days a vessel can be in space and many things more.

Yes its a bit of extra work with notepads and things but i can work with it and the game is still not offered me everything.

I do not understand you, you maybe not the biggest fan of Kerbal but to say its obsolete, i am sorry but it just makes me furious.

Especially with triple A games that come every year with not even 1/10 of the content.

I believe, (I can't speak for @OOM, please correct me if I am wrong), is that KSP1 was developed by a small indie company that had absolutely no experience making games. The result was a wildly buggy game. Over time, many of those problems were fixed but there are still problems with the game on it's own. It's like a skyscraper with a rotten wooden foundation. KSP2 is being developed by experienced developers, and their aim is to fix those problems that can't be fixed without a rewrite of the entire game.

Such is the reason why the 1.X.0 versions are always so buggy, even though they fixed a lot of bugs.

In retort to @OOM's statement though, KSP is not really rotten or obsolete, even after KSP2 comes out it will be updated, at least for a time.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:23 PM, The Aziz said:

Yes, but GTA and RDR are expected to reach much wider audience.

You know, when new game like one of these is announced, the whole world just goes WOOOOOOOO

But I don't think anyone aside from dedicated ksp players went WOOOOOO when they showed the trailer at the conference, let alone people who had no idea of the existence of ksp in the first place.

Then again, as seen in my example above in the other thread, the elder scrolls are quite popular, and Bethesda literally posted one short teaser for the sixth game, in June 2018 and then nothing.  Buuut it's Bethesda, better known as the creators of fallout 76, so maybe the example isn't the best.

GTA and RDR is also games with pretty long production times. Games like Battlefield or Assassin creed don't get teasers so far ahead as its an long series with many releases. 

A year ahead is not to far, half a year seems more common but it depend a bit on scheduled date for release and events. Yes KSP2 got delayed but they did not know that. 

Bethesta tended to release trailers less than an year ahead. This changed with the starfield and TES 6 announcement I assume they work with engines and stuff so we get an period with no games than fallout 76 from them.
However they just wanted to say that they worked on elder scroll 6 as it has been an fear it will be no more single player elder scroll games because of elder scroll online. 

The KSP 2 video showed way more but primarily showed that they worked on KSP 2 and that the game was well into development. 

On 1/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, DunaManiac said:

I believe, (I can't speak for @OOM, please correct me if I am wrong), is that KSP1 was developed by a small indie company that had absolutely no experience making games. The result was a wildly buggy game. Over time, many of those problems were fixed but there are still problems with the game on it's own. It's like a skyscraper with a rotten wooden foundation. KSP2 is being developed by experienced developers, and their aim is to fix those problems that can't be fixed without a rewrite of the entire game.

Such is the reason why the 1.X.0 versions are always so buggy, even though they fixed a lot of bugs.

In retort to @OOM's statement though, KSP is not really rotten or obsolete, even after KSP2 comes out it will be updated, at least for a time.

Yes, not only indie companies, the reason why Microsoft Vista is so notorious buggy is that they changed the NT kernel who dated back to NT 1.0 who was designed before 64 bit and internet was relevant. 
Especially the security systems had issues, same kernel is used in windows 7, 8 and 10.