[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I don't understand the graphics of Far yet but here's what it gave me http://i.imgur.com/H4Iv02q.jpg

The yellow line has to go into the negative (slope downwards).

More negative value: more stable in my experience.

According to that table, the more you pitch it (Angle of Attack/AoA), the less stable it will be and more prone to flipping over.

The yellow line has to go into the negative (slope downwards).

More negative value: more stable in my experience.

According to that table, the more you pitch it (Angle of Attack/AoA), the less stable it will be and more prone to flipping over.

Damn that's the problem I'm trying to fix >< I can't seem with this new far to build stable rockets. I understand the basic of trying to put lift at the back ect. I'm looking for good KSP 1.0 Far youtube tutorials. Any sugestions?

I noticed, in the last pic the fins seem to be 2x symmetric only. The pic above seems different. It has the CoL much closer to the CoM. This version might just be flyable.

Make sure to use a rocket engine with gimbaling, a.k.a. thrust vectoring. And turn on SAS. Make sure that you don't deviate more than 10 deg from prograde. I've flown unstable rockets to space. It is possible if it is not too unstable ;)

If nothing else helps then just add bigger fins in 4x symmetry ofc.

Damn that's the problem I'm trying to fix >< I can't seem with this new far to build stable rockets. I understand the basic of trying to put lift at the back ect. I'm looking for good KSP 1.0 Far youtube tutorials. Any sugestions?

Have you flown it? And what Damichael said is good advice.

Have you flown it? And what Damichael said is good advice.

Haven't flown it yet because I don't want it to crash and waste money ( can't revert flights Campaign mode) and the first pic its cause its tilted a bit I do that ot check where the COL moves as I do my gravity turns to see if it gets more stable as it turns or worse..

You will get better advice in official FAR craft exchange thread. Questions about how to build craft and show off your most advanced tehnological miracle should be made there.

This thread should be for bugs/features discussions to help feramm tracking down most important issues.

To answer your question, generaly, if yelow line goes up, your airplane or rocket will going to backflip. Yelow line represents pitching momentum or torque, whatever you like to call it.

There is "catch" when comes to rockets. It still can fly even with such unstable graph if you put 4 x fins at bottom and very gently steer rocket so it can stay near prograde vector.

And if you are still unsure, start another sandbox game, copy craft file from career to sandbox game there to try it. If you are afraid so much about career progression you should choose option to be able to revert back your launch.

I regret to report that there are still issues with engines remaining occluded after staging. The LV-N is not able to fire because of this. Here is my craft: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34786356/Auto-Saved%20Ship.craft and I have tried staging the fairing and decoupler together and separately along with trying different sized decouplers and stack perpetrators to no avail. I am currently using MechJeb (15.0 - not one of the dev builds), RealChute, DPAI, KAC, Waypoint Manager, and KJR. I have tried a fresh install and still could not solve this. If needed I can re-launch and provide output logs.

You will get better advice in official FAR craft exchange thread. Questions about how to build craft and show off your most advanced tehnological miracle should be made there.

This thread should be for bugs/features discussions to help feramm tracking down most important issues.

To answer your question, generaly, if yelow line goes up, your airplane or rocket will going to backflip. Yelow line represents pitching momentum or torque, whatever you like to call it.

There is "catch" when comes to rockets. It still can fly even with such unstable graph if you put 4 x fins at bottom and very gently steer rocket so it can stay near prograde vector.

And if you are still unsure, start another sandbox game, copy craft file from career to sandbox game there to try it. If you are afraid so much about career progression you should choose option to be able to revert back your launch.

Did a search for that thread ... It's not finding it. Do you have a link? I feel like that thread would be helpful.

At least try in a sandbox game a few designs in order to learn how to build stable rockets (or flyable unstable ones..). If your design is unstable it's like balancing a sphere on top of a needle: can be done, but not really easy. SAS + gimbals will help but you have to limit your AoA, and that's what they do in real life too (gimbals, limited AoA, and SAS). One hint, your fins should be placed as low as possible, and should be bigger than what you showed here.

Haven't flown it yet because I don't want it to crash and waste money ( can't revert flights Campaign mode) and the first pic its cause its tilted a bit I do that ot check where the COL moves as I do my gravity turns to see if it gets more stable as it turns or worse..

why not set up a new game in sandbox mode and test the rocket in there?

Because I can build stable rockets Easy in stock 1.02 but for some reason I'm not understanding this new far so I'm trying to understand how the new far works but I'm doing it in campaign and I'm trying to learn the graphs ect. But so far I can't find tutorials made in 1.02 with far it's all old outdated stuff. So I'm on here seeking advice ect. I want to have an understanding and not just make something and try it and hope it works.. I don't know if what I said makes sense or not but yea.

Edited by Dermeister

@Dermeister: It's linked in the OP. You did read that first, right? ;)

@Volt: If you're getting frequent update messages for no apparent reason, then either A) FAR's voxelization broke (try the dev build on github, I think I killed it), or B) some mod is sending lots of "HEY THE VESSEL CHANGED SHAPE GUYZ!" messages, and then FAR does its duty and revoxelizes everything.

It is highly unlikely that there is actually a memory leak in FAR, considering most of the issues currently seem to be caused by my addition of code to cap voxel memory usage and only comes into play once lots of voxels are needed all at once (to the best of my knowledge).

@Dedalous, Sokar408, anyone else with the issue: You should try this dll from the repo, I think it fixes that.

@smartdummies: I believe the dev build (link above) has that fixed. Only happens in space because I was a dumb-dumb.

Because I can build stable rockets Easy in the old far but ever since I got V 1.02 and the new far nothing flys the same O_o

Well the aerodynamics did change substantially. There's no reason to expect things to fly the same in the new voxel aero as they did in old FAR. You probably want to mess around with it in sandbox a bit just get a feel for things.

Yeah, I think the issue was with the stupid thermometers that I saw many PSAs about and completely forgot about. I now have a separate issue with the next craft I built, a rocket this time, turning the screen black and NaN error flooding as soon as it hits the launchpad. I've had a look at the output_log but could make little sense of it. Probably not a FAR issue because there were no glaring mentions of FAR and I am using a complete mod cocktail. I wonder whether a 'diagnose my crash' thread is in order where people who know how to decipher the things help idiots like myself.

Yeah, I think the issue was with the stupid thermometers that I saw many PSAs about and completely forgot about. I now have a separate issue with the next craft I built, a rocket this time, turning the screen black and NaN error flooding as soon as it hits the launchpad. I've had a look at the output_log but could make little sense of it. Probably not a FAR issue because there were no glaring mentions of FAR and I am using a complete mod cocktail. I wonder whether a 'diagnose my crash' thread is in order where people who know how to decipher the things help idiots like myself.

Yup, that's what the modded install support forum is for.

@Dermeister: It's linked in the OP. You did read that first, right? ;)

@Volt: If you're getting frequent update messages for no apparent reason, then either A) FAR's voxelization broke (try the dev build on github, I think I killed it), or B) some mod is sending lots of "HEY THE VESSEL CHANGED SHAPE GUYZ!" messages, and then FAR does its duty and revoxelizes everything.

It is highly unlikely that there is actually a memory leak in FAR, considering most of the issues currently seem to be caused by my addition of code to cap voxel memory usage and only comes into play once lots of voxels are needed all at once (to the best of my knowledge).

@Dedalous, Sokar408, anyone else with the issue: You should try this dll from the repo, I think it fixes that.

@smartdummies: I believe the dev build (link above) has that fixed. Only happens in space because I was a dumb-dumb.

This worked, however now the heat shields doesn't work. On my test reentry (to test if I would still just fall through the Atmo without slowing down), the command pod starts heating up a lot, while the heat shield below it loses little to no ablator, to point of almost getting destroyed (any more speed, and the command pod would have exploded).

This can't be what is intended :/

This may be the dumbest question ever...but how do I get the visible lift/CoM/CoL yellow and green lines in the VAB/SPH like i've seen in a few screenshots? (No, not the FAR analysis tools, the actual overlays ON the craft)

(...Don't hurt me I havent played since November ;.;)

Edited by jstnj

This worked, however now the heat shields doesn't work. On my test reentry (to test if I would still just fall through the Atmo without slowing down), the command pod starts heating up a lot, while the heat shield below it loses little to no ablator, to point of almost getting destroyed (any more speed, and the command pod would have exploded).

This can't be what is intended :/

I have this behavior too. Heatshields are practically useless.

This may be the dumbest question ever...but how do I get the visible lift/CoM/CoL yellow and green lines in the VAB/SPH like i've seen in a few screenshots? (No, not the FAR analysis tools, the actual overlays ON the craft)

(...Don't hurt me I havent played since November ;.;)

Click the FAR button, go to the transsonic design tab, click cross-section area curves.

eMA1Wrs.jpg

I cannot reproduce any heatshield issues. The msot aggressive reentry I tried had me hit 3.3 km/s, I burned off nearly all the ablator on the heat shield, and the shield took the entire hit.

Alright. I want to know everything about how anyone having any issues installed FAR, where they got it from, what other mods they're using, what steps they took to produce issues, their computer specs, OS, how many processes they're running in the background and how much of the processor is being used by KSP and other things. Something screwy is going on here, but it's not on my machine, and I can't find any of these issues no matter how hard I try. So we're back to me taking shots in the dark and hoping that maybe I hit something, but for all I can tell, you guys might as well just be trolling me for all the luck I've had reproducing these issues.

I cannot reproduce any heatshield issues. The msot aggressive reentry I tried had me hit 3.3 km/s, I burned off nearly all the ablator on the heat shield, and the shield took the entire hit.

Just to make sure, but you guys with the issue didn't install Deadly Reentry did you? The heat physics isn't much on FAR area, unless it changes effects on sonic wave.

But overheating seems more like DR revamped to blow your stuff up.

And I agree with Ferram on this, I've had nearly null functionality, memory or crash issues.

Decided to load a new linux install of KSP today and after hours of installing mods i saw FAR began throwing NRE's when i went on EVA. So I tried a fresh install with just FAR and its dependencies and was surprised to see the same issue. Just testing a pod on the launch pad. When I have the kerbal go EVA it occurs then and stops when i go back inside.

PLAYER.LOG

KSP_LOG

So again, bone stock. The only real variable being the 64 bit client in Ubuntu.

Guy I can confirm Deadly Reenty Kills the stock heat shields and produce some strange effects wit FAR, so I uninstalled it.

Question: How can I check is my craft is asymmetric and will turn ?

Also on the stock toolbar the FAR icon dose not load and it is a white square for me, can I fix it somehow ?

Edited by balu0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.