MiniKerbalShuttle v1.5

DimonD

24 minutes ago, DimonD said:

Thanks for the kind words! I am still working on it, more payload needs to be added.

I also use 2.5x rescale, not just "stock" KSRSS (You'll need Sigma Dimensions plugin to activate it). Or even better, install JNSQ - it's a 2.66x rescale "out of the box", doesn't need any additional rescale plugins patches, and is sort of a reference point for all major part mods (BDB, Tantares, KNES, SOCK etc). If your stuff is balanced for JNSQ, it's guaranteed to work as intended in any stock-sized planet pack with a typical (2.5x-2.7x) rescale.

Speaking of more parts - I'd like to request a shuttle butt-2.5m adapter, to make vertical stacking easier.

Edited by biohazard15

27 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

I also use 2.5x rescale, not just "stock" KSRSS (You'll need Sigma Dimensions plugin to activate it). Or even better, install JNSQ - it's a 2.66x rescale "out of the box", doesn't need any additional rescale plugins patches, and is sort of a reference point for all major part mods (BDB, Tantares, KNES, SOCK etc). If your stuff is balanced for JNSQ, it's guaranteed to work as intended in any stock-sized planet pack with a typical (2.5x-2.7x) rescale.

Speaking of more parts - I'd like to request a shuttle butt-2.5m adapter, to make vertical stacking easier.

Thanks, I'll install JNSQ and try to tweak the MKS to work well with it.
As for 2.5m vertical adapter, I have already tried several options and found the best one, most likely it will be included in the next patch.

A bit more on "mini- Blok-D":

- Kinda too heavy, IMO.

- Somewhat strange fuel choice (monoprop) when you look at its design (two tanks). I suggest switching it to traditional LF\Ox, while keeping a small amount of monoprop for built-in RCS.

- With all its visible electronics, consider adding a probe core with some Ec (This will also allow controlled deorbit after payload separation)

- No engine shroud (I suggest adding a 0.625m metal grid one, styled after Soyuz interstage)

- All in all, it is more useful as a standalone 1.25m-ish upper stage. For example, it can be used as a drop-in for Blok L, which is not included in Tantares.

Also, consider moving all the parts to earlier science nodes, in order to make MKS a mid-to-late career feature, and thus forming a sort of progression from MKS to SOCK (which requires late-game nodes).

Edited by biohazard15

On 8/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, biohazard15 said:

A bit more on "mini- Blok-D":

- Kinda too heavy, IMO.

- Somewhat strange fuel choice (monoprop) when you look at its design (two tanks). I suggest switching it to traditional LF\Ox, while keeping a small amount of monoprop for built-in RCS.

- With all its visible electronics, consider adding a probe core with some Ec (This will also allow controlled deorbit after payload separation)

- No engine shroud (I suggest adding a 0.625m metal grid one, styled after Soyuz interstage)

- All in all, it is more useful as a standalone 1.25m-ish upper stage. For example, it can be used as a drop-in for Blok L, which is not included in Tantares.

Also, consider moving all the parts to earlier science nodes, in order to make MKS a mid-to-late career feature, and thus forming a sort of progression from MKS to SOCK (which requires late-game nodes).

I knew that "Kermes" was not in the best condition, some time ago I changed it a little, changed the type of fuel, improved the texture and slightly reduced its size in height. In career mode, the main parts will be received earlier than now, about the rest I'm not sure yet because it is busy with modules for the space station.

@DimonD

First, you should convert all the PNG files to DDS.  I just tried this out, and besides the fact that the files are huge,  DDS loads faster.  When I first loaded the mod, it took 30 seconds on a very fast system just to get through the parts in the mod.  After converting them, even though the DDS files are so much bigger than the original PNGs, it loaded much quicker (less than a second).

The program I used to do the conversions is:  https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP

Second, you are missing some textures:

6175 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke' not found! 
 6187 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6193 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6199 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6205 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6259 Texture 'MKS/Payload/Fire' not found! 
 6280 Texture 'MKS/Payload/EngineMouth' not found! 
 6283 Texture 'MKS/Payload/ENGINE_MOUTH_NRM' not found! 

Third, the sample vessels have errors because they are looking for missing modules:

• ModuleSimpleFuelSwitch
  • ModuleSwitchableResources

Fourth, when I triedl loading and launching the samlple vessels, I get the following error:

24663 NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
24664   at ModuleJettison.SetupJettisonState (System.Boolean isEditor) [0x00047] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
24665   at ModuleJettison.LateUpdate () [0x0001b] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 

This was on a KSP 1.12.2 install

Finally, could you consider getting this added to CKAN?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@DimonD

First, you should convert all the PNG files to DDS.  I just tried this out, and besides the fact that the files are huge,  DDS loads faster.  When I first loaded the mod, it took 30 seconds on a very fast system just to get through the parts in the mod.  After converting them, even though the DDS files are so much bigger than the original PNGs, it loaded much quicker (less than a second).

The program I used to do the conversions is:  https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP

Second, you are missing some textures:

6175 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke' not found! 
 6187 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6193 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6199 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6205 Texture 'MKS/FX/srbsmoke4' not found! 
 6259 Texture 'MKS/Payload/Fire' not found! 
 6280 Texture 'MKS/Payload/EngineMouth' not found! 
 6283 Texture 'MKS/Payload/ENGINE_MOUTH_NRM' not found! 

Third, the sample vessels have errors because they are looking for missing modules:

• ModuleSimpleFuelSwitch
  • ModuleSwitchableResources

Fourth, when I triedl loading and launching the samlple vessels, I get the following error:

24663 NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
24664   at ModuleJettison.SetupJettisonState (System.Boolean isEditor) [0x00047] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
24665   at ModuleJettison.LateUpdate () [0x0001b] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 

This was on a KSP 1.12.2 install

It's clear.
How do you find errors?

P.S. I have no idea how CKAN works, but I'll try to figure it out

Edited by DimonD

3 hours ago, DimonD said:

It's clear.
How do you find errors?

Errors are in the log file.  I use the Player.log, but sometimes the errors are also in the KSP.log

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, DimonD said:

You will need to have a .version file in the mod.  An example would be:

{
  "NAME": "MKSMiniShuttle",
  "URL": "url of online version file",
  "DOWNLOAD": "https://spacedock.info/mod/2678/KerbalMiniShuttle",
  "VERSION": {
    "MAJOR": 1,
    "MINOR": 1,
    "PATCH": 0,
    "BUILD": 0
  },
  "KSP_VERSION": {
    "MINOR": 12,
    "PATCH": 0
  },
  "KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
    "MINOR": 12,
    "PATCH": 0
  }
}

For help with CKAN, you can ask me, @HebaruSan, @DasSkelett to assist.

On another note, you have a lot of parts in the main mod directory, all jumbled together.  It's very confusing, I'd suggest fixing the organization by putting each part into it's own directory, possibly all contained in an overall Parts directory

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

5 hours ago, DimonD said:

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For help with CKAN, you can ask me, @HebaruSan, @DasSkelett to assist.

This mod is already indexed, we received the automated PR from SpaceDock in April.

.version files are not strictly required for SpaceDock mods, without it we just take the compatibility from SpaceDock.

Edit: but of course, whenever you have any questions regarding CKAN, you are very welcome to contact us. Be it our forum thread, per PM, Discord server, GitHub...
Or if you're planning to do bigger, restructuring changes to your mod, maybe add or remove some dependencies, we are always happy about a little heads-up beforehand.

Edited by DasSkelett

On 8/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, DasSkelett said:

This mod is already indexed, we received the automated PR from SpaceDock in April.

.version files are not strictly required for SpaceDock mods, without it we just take the compatibility from SpaceDock.

Edit: but of course, whenever you have any questions regarding CKAN, you are very welcome to contact us. Be it our forum thread, per PM, Discord server, GitHub...
Or if you're planning to do bigger, restructuring changes to your mod, maybe add or remove some dependencies, we are always happy about a little heads-up beforehand.

So I don't have to do anything, that's good news! :D

@linuxgurugamer   Thanks for the help! It looks like I fixed all the errors.

v1.2

1. Almost all textures are converted to .dds format

2. Parts of the MKS are activated earlier in the tech tree.

3. Tug "Kermes" has a classic type of fuel, MonoPropellant is required only for RCS.

3. Now the MKS mod focuses on the size of the planets 2.5x+, for example, as a JNSQ add-on, but if you want to play in the classic version, the necessary cfg for the classic stock size can be found in the MKSStockSize folder, just replace cfg. files

Download:

https://spacedock.info/mod/2678/KerbalMiniShuttle

P.S. Unfortunately, the vertical adapter does not want to work properly at the moment  ) ;

Edited by DimonD

(NB: I've used "MKS" craft file, on 2.5x KSRSS, launched from CCAFS)

- Okay, NOW it's good! Hell, it's GREAT!

- Pretty much what you need to orbit BDB Delta II-sized payloads in JNSQ\KSRSS\other 2.5x systems. Easy to assembly, easy to fly, works fine with MJ.

- Bug: SRBs do not use all their fuel (about 28.5 units left when they shut off)

- That pointy thing on the top of EFT can strike shuttle after jettisoning the EFT. Maybe decoupler is too strong, or its force is pointed wrong way? (I didn't try to tweak it)

- Jet intake covers don't work that way (just saying...)

- Kermes tug: main engine FX is still monoprop

Edited by biohazard15

@DimonD

Some constructive observations:

Problems I've observed in a 1.12.2 install:

• Engine type is wrong in the  Payload/HexagonSat.cfg.  It should be Electric, not Ion

After making that fix:

• Joints are very wobbly.  I'd suggest that you recommend using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • You need to put a ":NEEDS[Waterfall]" on all the references to the ModuleWaterfallFX
  • Your sample ships have a reference to a module from a mod:  ControlActionGroup
  • Launching one of the ships, having lots of errors:
26511 RCS module unable to find any transforms in part named RCSY+ 

and

26851 Module ModuleDeployableSolarPanel threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 26852   at ModuleDeployableSolarPanel.OnStart (PartModule+StartState state) [0x0015e] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
 26853   at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00120] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0  

and the following is continous:

27223 NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 27224   at ModuleJettison.SetupJettisonState (System.Boolean isEditor) [0x00047] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
 27225   at ModuleJettison.LateUpdate () [0x0001b] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
  • Also, using the stock configs, the sample vessel was unable to get off the ground.
  • Finally, I also observed that the Solid Fuel flamed out when there was still 28.27 units left. 

Note:  that might be because of the sepratrons which are built in

My impression is that you probably depend on some other mods which you didn't realize.  I'd suggest you install it into a new install to test before releasing

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@DimonD

As an additional note, you really should have different size SRBs and tanks for the different configs, not just change the resource in it.  Tanks and SRBs should contain the appropriate amount of fuel, not just any random number.

And, note that most if not all stock parts work perfectly well in JNSQ without any tweaks.  

Regarding SRBs, to increase the burn time, you make them fatter, to increase the thrust, you make them longer

I'd suggest looking at the stock SRB:  Kickback , part is located in:  Squad/Parts/Engine/MassiveSRB/part/MassiveBooster for better values for the max thrust ASL and Vac, as well as the ISP, your values are away off for the stock config and too high for the JNSQ config

Your module and textures are very nice.  I think you can probably rescale them to both match the stock sizes and configs.  Stock doesn't follow the rule perfecty I mentioned above regarding burn time/thrust, you can look at the mod BetterSRBs to get some ideas regarding that

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Joints are very wobbly.  I'd suggest that you recommend using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Noticed that too. However, my usual way with shuttles is "EEX - All Rigid ON - All Autostrut to Grandparent ON", so I wouldn't say KJR is a dependency. Stock autostrut is probably enough.

21 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

(NB: I've used "MKS" craft file, on 2.5x KSRSS, launched from CCAFS)

- Okay, NOW it's good! Hell, it's GREAT!

- Pretty much what you need to orbit BDB Delta II-sized payloads in JNSQ\KSRSS\other 2.5x systems. Easy to assembly, easy to fly, works fine with MJ.

- Bug: SRBs do not use all their fuel (about 28.5 units left when they shut off)

- That pointy thing on the top of EFT can strike shuttle after jettisoning the EFT. Maybe decoupler is too strong, or its force is pointed wrong way? (I didn't try to tweak it)

- Jet intake covers don't work that way (just saying...)

- Kermes tug: main engine FX is still monoprop

I know about EFT, it looks like some kind of collider is touching the model that's why there is such a strong separation.

Kermes tug works correctly, I haven't changed its FX.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@DimonD

Some constructive observations:

Problems I've observed in a 1.12.2 install:

• Engine type is wrong in the  Payload/HexagonSat.cfg.  It should be Electric, not Ion

After making that fix:

• Joints are very wobbly.  I'd suggest that you recommend using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • You need to put a ":NEEDS[Waterfall]" on all the references to the ModuleWaterfallFX
  • Your sample ships have a reference to a module from a mod:  ControlActionGroup
  • Launching one of the ships, having lots of errors:
26511 RCS module unable to find any transforms in part named RCSY+ 

and

26851 Module ModuleDeployableSolarPanel threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 26852   at ModuleDeployableSolarPanel.OnStart (PartModule+StartState state) [0x0015e] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
 26853   at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00120] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0  

and the following is continous:

27223 NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 27224   at ModuleJettison.SetupJettisonState (System.Boolean isEditor) [0x00047] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
 27225   at ModuleJettison.LateUpdate () [0x0001b] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0 
  • Also, using the stock configs, the sample vessel was unable to get off the ground.
  • Finally, I also observed that the Solid Fuel flamed out when there was still 28.27 units left. 

Note:  that might be because of the sepratrons which are built in

My impression is that you probably depend on some other mods which you didn't realize.  I'd suggest you install it into a new install to test before releasing

I'm using KJR, just didn't put it as a recommended add-on because it can be done with Autostrut .

The ships are referenced because the fins and rudder are connected to the ActionGroup, there is a small description on the first page

I know that the ModuleJettison on Jet does not work correctly, if you remove it in the hangar, it will still be in the game at the start and, moreover, will not be removed, but I have no idea how to solve the problem.

There is no dependence on any mods other than those indicated, in any case,  can safely remove all add-ons and it will work the same good (Except for B9).

About SSRB mismatch ...

I know that he and the rocket have non-standard readings, I am ready to bring the rocket and SSRB to a more standard state, but I will not completely change it.

14 hours ago, DimonD said:

I'm using KJR, just didn't put it as a recommended add-on because it can be done with Autostrut .

Ok, but you should say something about one or the other.

What about the engine type for the engine I mentioned?

The ships are referenced because the fins and rudder are connected to the ActionGroup, there is a small description on the first page

What mod supplies "ControlActionGroup", it's not part of KSP?

I know that the ModuleJettison on Jet does not work correctly, if you remove it in the hangar, it will still be in the game at the start and, moreover, will not be removed, but I have no idea how to solve the problem.

If it doesn't work, then remove it, as in remove the ModuleJettison from the jet engine.  Not sure why you want it there anyway

There is no dependence on any mods other than those indicated, in any case,  can safely remove all add-ons and it will work the same good (Except for B9).

But your supplied ships were apparently made with at least one other mod which includes the "ControlActionGroup".  Which mod is that, you should at least mention it or remove the module stanza from the craft files

Edited by linuxgurugamer

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, but you should say something about one or the other.

What about the engine type for the engine I mentioned?

I will add KJR to the list of recommended add-ons.

HexagonSat? I changed it already, thanks.

What mod supplies "ControlActionGroup", it's not part of KSP?

"ControlActionGroup":

Action-group-entry.png

It has buttons configured for easy control of fins for craft files, Or I don't understand anything at all. \

If it doesn't work, then remove it, as in remove the ModuleJettison from the jet engine.  Not sure why you want it there anyway

In principle, it is not needed, but I want to learn how to do it correctly, it may be useful in the future.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, FlybeachYon2021 said:

Not surprising, because the author of Kerbolrise @Alcentar  helped me a lot to understand some of the nuances, he also showed how he made black tiles for his add-on, I see the second addition for the first time.

I will add KJR to the list of recommended add-ons.

HexagonSat? I changed it already, thanks.

Great

"ControlActionGroup":

Action-group-entry.png

It has buttons configured for easy control of fins for craft files, Or I don't understand anything at all. \

No, that creates  ACTIONS stanzas in parts, and the axis settings creates AXISGROUPS in the parts.  I verified this with other vessels, which I created something similar.  I recall some mod which did do what you describe, but it's not stock.  If you could provide a log file I should be able to identify which mod is putting in the ControlActionGroup module.  ControlActionGroup is NOT a stock partmodule

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Great

No, that creates  ACTIONS stanzas in parts, and the axis settings creates AXISGROUPS in the parts.  I verified this with other vessels, which I created something similar.  I recall some mod which did do what you describe, but it's not stock.  If you could provide a log file I should be able to identify which mod is putting in the ControlActionGroup module.  ControlActionGroup is NOT a stock partmodule

Long story short, in the next patch I'll just make craft files in an empty KSP using only B9, and Serenity...

It looks like "Starship" began to absorb me :D

StarshiP.png

Edited by DimonD

On 8/24/2021 at 1:57 AM, DimonD said:

Короче говоря, в следующем патче я просто создам файлы craft в пустом KSP, используя только B9 и Serenity...

Похоже, "Звездолет" начал поглощать меня :D

Звездолет.png

Вау, это звездолет?, Очень классные модели, удачи вашим модам и модам в целом, и пусть ваши идеи никогда не заканчиваются.

[Moderator added translation]
Wow, this is a starship?, Very cool models, good luck to your mods, and mods in general, and may your ideas never end.

Edited by James Kerman
Added Translation

10 hours ago, Yaroslav Russia said:

Вау, это звездолет?, Очень классные модели, удачи вашим модам и модам в целом, и пусть ваши идеи никогда не заканчиваются.

[Moderator added translation]
Wow, this is a starship?, Very cool models, good luck to your mods, and mods in general, and may your ideas never end.

Thanks for the kind words!

By the way, here's the sequel to starship, although of course it's not finished yet:

ST1.png

ST2.png

ST3.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.