Kerbal Motorbikes

ColdJ

6 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I clearly don't build enough with cargo plane parts,  but I'm not recognizing this cargo bay/door combo. It's not stock, right?

5 hours ago, Davi SDF said:

It's likely a tweakscaled version of a cargo door from MK3 Expansion

Body is Airplane plus. Ramp is a reconfig of MK3 Expansion part to create a new Mk3s1.5 part "rescaleFactor 0.5" I have done this with all my MK3 parts to give me more parts in that form factor. Hoping that Suicidalinsanity will release an official Mk3s1.5 parts pack but haven't heard back.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, ColdJ said:

A micro docking port is already included so you can do that. The set up in your cargo bay is up to your imagination. Just remember to reset the control point to the bike or Kerbal after undocking. The sensitivity I have experienced sometimes after undocking seems to be down to the way the game handles control points after you undock a vessel. Example pics. Sorry but I am not co-ordinated enough to get the action shot as the bike reverses out of the cargo bay mid air. Maybe @Stormpilot could do some action shots for me? The base Knook23 that I just added 2 pieces to is available here.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/Knook23

RNFRhDj.pngC0mpziA.png

wow! I'd like to ride this way!

On 10/24/2021 at 10:55 PM, ColdJ said:

@shdwlrd I use BforArtists2 version 2.7.0 It is the last version capable of using the .mu plugin before the changes to blender stopped compatibility.

This is supremely helpful. I tried ripping OPT parts last night in order to try something and I was seriously taken for a loop with why Taniwha's plugin broke

• 2 weeks later...

Have got it sitting in the water properly, top speed about 20m/s, loses power 2 meters above sea level. Technically it can sit balanced on it's end a few ce timetres off the water and fly but apart from sea level, nothing is going to be low enough to pull this off so pretty good result, now got to make it so it can't be used without an oxygen atmosphere. It docks with the sidecar, it can be undocked from around the bike but an engineer would be required to put it back on, though I haven't tested if this is possible yet. Through the work on this I may have worked out how to make a Star Wars speeder bike, but haven't started anything yet.

Ok successfully emulating them not working out of water, something I have wanted to achieve in my water based mods for some time. Got them docking properly. You can dock to a side car, undock and redock. They have enough flotation to take the side car along for the ride in water. You can drive and do tricks in the water like the real thing. Now that they won't keep thrusting out of water I might give them a bit more thrust in. Need a ramp and a flaming ring :) They are noded so that if attached to their correct bike they can be undocked. Only do this on land, it will throw your Kerbal off and you may need to wiggle the bike to be fully free. I have successfully reattached the floats to the bike using an engineer.

Slight imperfection on top sharp edge but I don't know if I want to try to fix as might bugger up more. They won't work in space as they now have a proper intake, Tick. They have the impeller and intake built in but require the bike for power. Anybody want to Beta test? I will PM the a link for the first 6 people who ask.

yUTt7O3.pngfd2CNhI.pngJMUby8v.pngJLlab4h.png1rPLNSH.pngmGZu0He.png

Note in this last pic that the craft out of the water has no thrust.

UC3VUKB.png

Surprised that no one wanted to test.

They are all done, added a booster that clicks on that only works a Laythe sea Level, so they can be used there. Cleaned up the texture glitch.

Guess I will start on seeing if I can make a speeder bike.

Driving on Laythe.

ZV1Q08i.png

How the booster sits.

OSRSXvx.png

Early Prototype Speeder Bike. It functions well, Has a ceiling of 400 metres, top speed has been set to around 160m/s to keep it stable. Only bits you add on are the elevon flaps to control pitch. Still got to properly texture and add little touches here and there.

aXlpc0B.pngGgXnrgv.pnglO5FxQG.png4wwMd7q.png

Ok. Final iteration of the Speeder Bike done. I like how it has come out and hope others do too. Just a bit of clean up and and writing and I will release an update with it and the Sea Doo ski floats. I have raised the ceiling height to 1500 metres as a lot of land on Kerbin is over 1 km above Sea Level. I didn't want it to fly per se but don't know of a modifier that uses the land as base level. Don't touch down above 1300 metres above sea level, or you will find it hard to get it to move. I have put it the Ion Engine category as it very advanced compared to regular parts. It flies at it's fastest just above sea level. I added some little touches like some switches that I hope you can see in the pics. It has a light where the originals had a blaster.

QrKBrY1.pngfM4eASv.pngNIs3ZZd.pngiJh4BZo.pngVcbUtfm.pngyupWOH4.pngfHETG2S.png

Delayed myself by adding some new features. Speeder bike will now work on Laythe. Added Kerbal Attachment System  socket functionality to the bikes and speeder bike. Added a node on to the hood of the speeder bike so you can easily add the micro docking port to secure in a cargo situation.

PpaS474.pngeXdYm1b.pnga8wLewO.pngnL0IT81.pngSHLUUYV.png

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.