Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

55 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Skeletonics exoskeleton.

Hide contents

Powerless armor. Also a giant, complex waldo. Might actually have some use cases, but without mechanical amplification, not too many, I figure.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:28 PM, DDE said:

Fallout excuses the unrealistic mutations with the lore surrounding the Forced Evolutionary Virus. So, labs were involved.

Yep, real world studies of wildlife around Chernobyl proved all the far out claims wrong.  Cancer from direct exposure, yes, inherited mutations, virtually nope

• 2 weeks later...

Since Iberia owned many South American airlines in the 90s, their liveries all looked similar:

maxresdefault.jpg27684277265_0a42c7fb2f_b.jpge2df4d1b94c39ec86f851fc51509444b.jpgLV-ZTX.jpg

And all of them looked awesome :(

Edited by Ben J. Kerman
I think Austral Líneas Aéreas was owned by Aerolineas Argentinas, but they had the Iberia style livery, so Austral got it too,

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, Vanamonde said:

As of 2013, the various models of Boeing 737 had collectively performed 184 million flights. (Paragraph 3.) One hundred and eighty four. Million. flights. MILLIONS. One hundred and eighty-four of them.

I've told this to several people and no one finds it as stunning as I do. 

I always find it useful to make such numbers a bit more understandable by making them... well, smaller :D They've been in service for 54 years, so that means it's about 6.5 flights per minute, 24/7. On average for the past 50 years every 10 seconds one took off somewhere in the world, (and one landed somewhere else, hopefully). It is pretty stunning indeed.

I don't know what the average flight time is but it's a safe bet to say that there are more than a 1000 of them somewhere up in the air at most times of the day.

Edit: just noticed the "as of 2013" part so the numbers are some 15% higher still, but in the ballpark :)

Edited by Beamer

According to wikipedia, all planets of the solar system have at least one city or town named after them, except for Uranus. That includes Earth, Texas, USA (, Earth).

There is however a tourist attraction on the old Route 66 called Uranus in Pulaski County, Missouri, USA. It has 25 residents but no local government, and all local businesses are owned by a single person who calls himself "Mayor of Uranus". Most notably it holds the Guinness World Record for having the largest belt buckle in the world.

Just thought you would want to know that...

Edited by Beamer

Sony Music registered an account on Bilibili which online video web has most youth people in China using. They have uploaded probably over 100,000 of their copyrighted music. And the most hits one is: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1GJ411x7h7/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

Of course!

Edited by steve9728

22 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Sony Music registered an account on Bilibili which online video web has most youth people in China using. They have uploaded probably over 100,000 of their copyrighted music. And the most hits one is: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1GJ411x7h7/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

Of course!

GET RICKROLLED LOL

"kerbal" comes from the little green man which @HarvesteR used to put on his fireworks. 

Typical KSP noob moment. 

Edited by Abel Military Services

It's warm, so to the moment it's probably already occupied by a growing hill of life forms.

Years later it will become an atoll.

Years more later the water will corrode the hull, get inside, moderate the neutrons, and we shall see the first radioactive volcano.

Oops,.. Did it begin?

The de facto world's most overcrowded, inmate controlled Bilibid prison had more than 20 cells converted into villas, striptease room with flashing lights and a professional recording studio before the Bilibid prison corruption case in the Philippines was uncovered in 2014.

And this, was recorded from the studio in the prison

I kinda like the melody of the song if only from an artistic point of view and without considering him as a bank robber and drug lord.

Edited by steve9728

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

When we shoot .22LR at steel at distance, like 50-100 yards, it's usually slowed down enough that the bullet doesn't shatter against the steel target, it just pancakes and falls to the ground. If you look around in the dirt near the target you can find a bunch of little lead pancakes. When we're bringing new folks to shoot, especially kids, I point them out to them and they usually end up taking a couple home as souvenirs.