Science News Thread (for articles that don't relate to ongoing discussions)

On 10/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, Gargamel said:

I have a hard enough time getting the bed level when it's not shocking me and squirming around.  

CyberBride has a warranty, dude.

EDIT: or whatever CyberSpouse floats your boat. Robots, man…Can’t live with ‘em, can’t unplug them since the Android Rights Bill of 2032. :(

Edited by FleshJeb

14 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Curious as to where in the sky these interstellar objects are coming from. The same region? Or from wildly different directions?

I only skimmed it, so better to read link than take my word for it, but their model is assuming random directions which would seem to indicate a pattern hasn't significantly emerged

22 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Fun - with Science!

high-compress-nascar-150colors-compressi

A physics trick led to this incredible NASCAR finish - Big Think

The fact that he came out of this with some semblance of control is amazing!

Spin gravity for the win, now I would expect you to get plenty of drag with the side against the barrier, next time add some rollers :) 
And you need to keep the front wheels straight, if the rubber hit the barrier it would not last long. 
But I assume its pretty smooth so cars don't snag on anything. 

More fun this was an video game tactic the driver had used then young. 

On 11/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, magnemoe said:

Spin gravity for the win, now I would expect you to get plenty of drag with the side against the barrier, next time add some rollers :) 
And you need to keep the front wheels straight, if the rubber hit the barrier it would not last long. 
But I assume its pretty smooth so cars don't snag on anything. 

More fun this was an video game tactic the driver had used then young. 

Wow, the writer of that article must have gotten paid by the word.  He could have to explained it in a paragraph.  And did.  Several times in slightly different phrasing, lol.

I wonder if NASCAR would allow moar wheels on the side of the car to reduce friction

Edited by darthgently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT81c8zjVG0

Mixed Reality tec use in CQB training. Little bit weird to show it in air show but I really looking forward it can use in public entertainment:D

Add: a video about another one play this. That guy is a former PLA soldier and now to be an instructor in special operation unit. "Because the second time the exhibitor didn't change the imaginary enemy positions, I played more confidently the second time. But this system can randomly change all the enemy positions and set the difficulty you want it to be. Even the process is very standardised: you must check your chamber after shooting.", said by the shooter in the video. And the staff said "the scoring mechanism of this system is different from the previous manual scoring, which was not so that objective due to subjective factors. But the system uses the most objective data to judge every step you take.

Edited by steve9728

2 hours ago, steve9728 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT81c8zjVG0

Mixed Reality tec use in CQB training. Little bit weird to show it in air show but I really looking forward it can use in public entertainment:D

Add: a video about another one play this. That guy is a former PLA soldier and now to be an instructor in special operation unit. "Because the second time the exhibitor didn't change the imaginary enemy positions, I played more confidently the second time. But this system can randomly change all the enemy positions and set the difficulty you want it to be. Even the process is very standardised: you must check your chamber after shooting.", said by the shooter in the video. And the staff said "the scoring mechanism of this system is different from the previous manual scoring, which was not so that objective due to subjective factors. But the system uses the most objective data to judge every step you take.

Those kinds of things are fun, and good training.  Hosting one at an Air Show makes sense; you get a lot of military-interested types in addition to simply plane-interested.

>>>>>>  Wish the Forum Did NOT Automatically Link Posts!   (Steve's deserved its own response) <<<<<<<

>>>>>> TOTALLY UNRELATED POST <<<<<<<

Some folks look back to an imagined form of history and think 'man, times were good back then... wish we could go back'.

I posit we're living in the best of times - regardless of all the problems we have.

Point in favor of this opinion: Lab-made blood could have enormous potential for people with rare blood conditions | CNN

Scientists have transfused lab-made red blood cells into a human volunteer in a world-first trial that experts say has major potential for people with hard-to-match blood types or conditions such as sickle cell disease. The research could someday mean an end to long searches for compatible donors or dangerous transfusion reactions.

We just keep getting better!

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

42 minutes ago, DDE said:

“Also, the pandemic made discrimination based on appearance much more difficult, since teachers could not readily see students’ faces.

Somebody, show him the videochat button in Skype or Zoom...

6 hours ago, darthgently said:

I think I ate that meal once when I ordered blackened redfish out of curiosity at a posh restaurant.  Not to be repeated

Scientists have found the earliest known evidence of cooking at an archaeological site in Israel.

Those ones had cooked it gefilte.

16 hours ago, darthgently said:

I think I ate that meal once when I ordered blackened redfish out of curiosity at a posh restaurant.  Not to be repeated

Huh - I had Blackened Redfish in N'awlins a while ago and really enjoyed it.  Side of red beans and rice.  Yum! 

('course, I don't generally eat fish... So take this with a grain of salt) 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Huh - I had Blackened Redfish in N'awlins a while ago and really enjoyed it.  Side of red beans and rice.  Yum! 

('course, I don't generally eat fish... So take this with a grain of salt) 

This was like eating charcoal that was  once1/3 of the meat.  And I was twenty something way back when so was pickier

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Ah - big difference from what I had.  Now... had I tried to cook it; you'd have seen fish turn into coal!

Perhaps if I'd ordered it in a normal restaurant in Naw'lins instead of a posh restaurant up north I'd have faired better, lol

Edited by darthgently