The Lounge's "Random Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread" Thread

JoeSchmuckatelli

6 hours ago, DDE said:

why would anyone use bots for such a thing

That is an interesting question. 

The screen shot itself is something weird to post in the first place - like a random screen grab, rather than showcasing a place or event with some sort of intrinsic value or meaningfulness.  So in context - any reaction is odd... And yes those look 'botty' 

So - I'm with you, confused as to the why. 

Only guess is that there is some benefit to either the OP or the responder - but I cannot guess what that might be. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

On 6/20/2023 at 3:31 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

Not a question, but a random find...

Remember that game, did never play it but saw plenty of other did. 
And that the joint reduced number of lives or made it harder then some got good. 
It looked great but it simply was an multiple ending laser disc setup. 

I say it spawned the interactive movie style CD games once consoles and PC got cd roms who flopped very hard as at this point we had lots of real adventure games with hours of actual game play and saving your game was standard on pc. 

Another weird one. So, one of the co-founders of the shady online gambling platform [name redacted] died. Allergic reaction to MRT constrast agent.

Wouldn't they test that before pumping you full of the stuff? How "full" would it be anyway? Is there such a thing as gadolinium chelate allergy?

8 hours ago, DDE said:

Another weird one. So, one of the co-founders of the shady online gambling platform [name redacted] died. Allergic reaction to MRT constrast agent.

Wouldn't they test that before pumping you full of the stuff? How "full" would it be anyway? Is there such a thing as gadolinium chelate allergy?

Based on they annoying, superaggressive, disgusting commercials in the movies, it's just a spiritual energy of the users' hate has materialized.

On the other hand, maybe not just mystically. At least, the founder of the American English Center had gone for a rather material (and multiple) reason.

Edited by kerbiloid

23 hours ago, DDE said:

Steam Screenshots and Artwork are dominated by posts such as this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2992016981

The comments below are rather inauthentic, and it's often the same suspects. This feels like botting.

But why would anyone use bots for such a thing, and if it's a meaningful purpose, why is Valve doing nothing to counter?

Something similar to the effect of karma farming on Reddit. They may not do anything because they don't care.

10 hours ago, DDE said:

Google says 10ml every 15 seconds. I had an MRI about four years ago, but I don't recall how long they "pumped me up". It wasn't continuously though, and not more than like three minutes tops.

Testing by contact with the skin has been theorized upon but not found to be useful in actually seeing if they have an allergy, i.e. sometimes it doesn't work.

And yes, there is an allergy, although apparently such severe reactions are near non-existent. The reports only mention mild and moderate ones.

Given its almost 4th of July (if you celebrate it) it makes me wonder: which is worse?

1. Wanting to shoot off fireworks and not having any

2. having them, wanting to shoot them off but not having anyone to do this with?

this presumes its safe and legal

23 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Given its almost 4th of July (if you celebrate it) it makes me wonder: which is worse?

1. Wanting to shoot off fireworks and not having any

2. having them, wanting to shoot them off but not having anyone to do this with?

this presumes its safe and legal

personally i think 1 is much much worse. big boom with fire is big boom with fire, and big boom with fire is cool no matter how much company you have.

24 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

personally i think 1 is much much worse. big boom with fire is big boom with fire, and big boom with fire is cool no matter how much company you have.

Guess im jaded as in the past ive asked my best friend (who passed away back in 2020) to join me many time and only had him join twice and had asked another supposed friend of sorts who would make excuses to avoid joining me or backing out last moment with bs excuses. Its caused me to become self conscious and feel embarrassed to shoot fireworks alone. I have about 100-150$ in shells and the like but cant bring myself to do more than 2-3 roman candles. Even then im so self conscious about it i aim into my trees canopy or into my fences gate to be as invisible as possible.

Heck this past new years eve i had a fire in my chiminea and as my neighborhood erupted with various mortar shells and other highly visible and wildly loud fire works were going off i sat for a few minutes listening to it all and watching the flames dance in my fire. I grabbed my 2 roman candles and lit them one by one aiming into my yard and watched the balls of color fly up. I was sitting there alone wishing i had someone there with me. Nearly 7 months later those 2 expended roman candles sit on my patio near my chiminea as a reminder of the emptiness of option 2.

Im gonna go hug my cat now.

I have a dumb question for those who have more knowledge of computers than me. I just got an SSD because I didn't have enough space to play World of Warships, but didn't even realize that SSDs provide some performance benefits. So I'm wondering, would it be beneficial to move all of my games on to the SSD?

I have the following games in addition to WoWS:

1. War Thunder

2. Kerbal Space Program

3. Command: Modern Operations

4. Minecraft

5. Men of War: Assault Squad 2 (from Steam)

6. Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic (from Steam)

7. Sprocket (from Steam)

8. Hearts of Iron IV (from Steam)

How would I go about moving them? Just move the file in (C:) to the SSD? Or would it be better to uninstall the games and reinstall them on the SSD?

And just one more Q: are there any issues associated with removing an SSD while the games are on it? It just feels weird having the short cut still on my laptop but the game files gone if I were to do so, and I don't want anything weird to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently sitting here watching youtube and absentmindedly petting my cat as she quietly sleeps on my thigh in my chair a question popped into my head: is there anything better than a cute, soft kitty quietly sleeping on your lap?

On 7/4/2023 at 11:49 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

I have a dumb question for those who have more knowledge of computers than me. I just got an SSD because I didn't have enough space to play World of Warships, but didn't even realize that SSDs provide some performance benefits. So I'm wondering, would it be beneficial to move all of my games on to the SSD?

I have the following games in addition to WoWS:

1. War Thunder

2. Kerbal Space Program

3. Command: Modern Operations

4. Minecraft

5. Men of War: Assault Squad 2 (from Steam)

6. Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic (from Steam)

7. Sprocket (from Steam)

8. Hearts of Iron IV (from Steam)

How would I go about moving them? Just move the file in (C:) to the SSD? Or would it be better to uninstall the games and reinstall them on the SSD?

And just one more Q: are there any issues associated with removing an SSD while the games are on it? It just feels weird having the short cut still on my laptop but the game files gone if I were to do so, and I don't want anything weird to happen.

SSD performance boost is real.  Memory is generally cheap. 

Presuming you have a newer Mobo, there should be an NVMe slot adjacent to the CPU block.  That is the absolute best architecture /placement for your SSD.  Reduces latency. 

Any game that regularly calls to the HDD will perform better with an SSD and even better if that SSD is NVMe.  Maps load faster, assets load faster, etc. 

I'm not sure about moving - some say it's fine (now) but in the past the only way was uninstall / reinstall (backup save files in a separate folder - manually add after the port).  Windows has gotten 'smarter' so I assume you can cut and paste the file from current location to new and then make sure the shortcut and exe files know the new address. 

I still use my old legacy 1TB HDD for games that don't require me to compete against other people's systems.  So, War Thunder should be on the SSD whereas something like Tomb Raider could be on the HDD.  

@SunlitZelkovaBut - let's review.  You want your OS on the NVMe, too.  In fact, first.  You don't want to overload the C Drive once you have the OS there - Windows still acts wonky when you get down to less than 10% space on the Drive... Even when that space remaining is over a gigabyte.  So only put your most played, important to be on SSD games on the NVMe C Drive. 

There are often (performance boards) additional NVMe slots for fast calls of games.  Perfect D drive for games, video editing software, etc.  A SATA SSD block elsewhere (would say normal drive bay, but mine is just hanging out in the box) is where you store videos and photos you want to edit and games that don't need the immediacy of access as your competitive shooting games.  The HDD then, is long term storage of static files, pictures of the kids birthday etc. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

3 hours ago, razark said:

What is best in life?

To pet your kitty, see it sleeping upon you, and to hear the rumblings of its purring.

Kitties are just the best! Speaking of, mine just jumped up on my lap. Her tails softly wagging as shes purring.

Between soft fur, loving purrs, loving licks, kneading on you and sleeping on your lap kitties are just purrfect! 

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Between soft fur, loving purrs, loving licks, kneading on you and sleeping on your lap kitties are just purrfect! 

Nope. Gotta do the full sequence: lick - bite.

4 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

My cat does that the other way around. She bites then licks. Shes…. Peculiar that way i guess lol

Gotta do the full sequence...She, first, takes position, shakes her back side to side, and then she launches herself at full speed on you. Grab your hand, bites, and then licks.