KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

12 minutes ago, Selective Genius said:

If a CPU works for games, how do I make sure that it would work well for CFD application?

By either trying to find benchmarks for the specific program you're looking for or by researching, if the developer of the specific program is saying something about the requirements.

does anyone know if there is a rtx2070 super in a small form factor card? it has to fit in my elite 110, which has 210mm of clearance (i think i can get another 10-20mm if i dremel a hole in the front of the case). searches of my usual parts vendors returned no results.

there is a 2070 that will fit but its not a super. this will be my fallback card.

Edited by Nuke

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

does anyone know if there is a rtx2070 super in a small form factor card? it has to fit in my elite 110, which has 210mm of clearance (i think i can get another 10-20mm if i dremel a hole in the front of the case). searches of my usual parts vendors returned no results.

there is a 2070 that will fit but its not a super. this will be my fallback card.

Found exactly one match: https://www.zotac.com/de/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2070-super-mini#spec

10 hours ago, strider3 said:

I am planning on using a dedicated HDD for KSP 1.7.3.

Why an HDD in this day and age?

Edited by Harry Rhodan

12 hours ago, strider3 said:

I am planning on using a dedicated HDD for KSP 1.7.3. What recommendations, if any, would the PC gurus have for the allocation unit size?

Default.

Unless you are working with a few million sub 16kb files any gains by playing with the allocation are in the below one percent range.

4 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Found exactly one match: https://www.zotac.com/de/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2070-super-mini#spec

Why an HDD in this day and age?

Hard disks are still cheaper than SSDs for the same amount of storage.  For someone on a budget, it can be significant

5 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

thats gonna be a tight fit. at least the plugs are on top. might spare me a few cutoff wheels. 

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hard disks are still cheaper than SSDs for the same amount of storage.  For someone on a budget, it can be significant

last year i ended up buying me a four gig external to backup all the ssds i own. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

But a dedicated drive for a single game? That's pretty odd.

14 minutes ago, Nuke said:

thats gonna be a tight fit. at least the plugs are on top. might spare me a few cutoff wheels.

The card is pretty new. You could wait if some other companies is releasing something smaller. Gigabyte and MSI had regular 2070s with less than 180mm length.

Just now, Harry Rhodan said:

But a dedicated drive for a single game? That's pretty odd.

The card is pretty new. You could wait if some other companies is releasing something smaller. Gigabyte and MSI had regular 2070s with less than 180mm length.

i dont get my money for a couple months anyway. will look for them. 

I'm going to be at Microcenter this weekend picking up an SSD for a co-worker's laptop.  His machine is about 6 years old, and all its slowness points to the aging HDD in it. 

I'm still somewhat new to the SSD game, so I thought I'd get some advice.  The primary goal here is a focus on longevity.  This is a basic-use laptop and shouldn't see a lot of heavy writing to the drive, but the drive also needs to last as long as possible since he's not really a computer guy.

Which of these drives would be better with that in mind?

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

Crucial MX500 500GB SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

I'd prefer to get him a 1TB drive for increased wear leveling, but this is the upper limit of his budget for this.

The Crucial drive is speced for 180 TBW, the Samsung one for 300TBW. But it realy doesnt matter at all, durability isnt a concern in modern SSDs. My >6 years old Samsung 830 has 30TBW after daily usage as the only harddrive in my PC and tests have shown that SSDs lasts several times their guaranteed TBW. Im sure he wont be able to wear down any SSDs currently on the market...

The Samsung is still using MLC instead of TLC, so for that reason alone I would take the Samsung. Although I'm very content with the MX 500 in my Laptop.

Nah, both use TLC. The Pro version uses MLC.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

Thanks guys.  I've apprised him and he's opting for the Samsung since the price isn't terribly different, we just wanted to see if the Crucial was complete crap or if there was actually some benefit to it over the Samsung.

6 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Nah, both use TLC. The Pro version uses MLC.

The specs list MLC.  Is Microcenter mistaken?

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The specs list MLC.  Is Microcenter mistaken?

There seems to be a general confusion about what the 860 Evo series is using. Even the official Samsung site lists it as using MLC, but that doesn't make sense. The 850 Evo already used TLC and the main difference between the Evo and the Pro series is that the Pros are using the more stable MLC. And the few pages I trust also say its TLC.

27 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

There seems to be a general confusion about what the 860 Evo series is using. Even the official Samsung site lists it as using MLC, but that doesn't make sense. The 850 Evo already used TLC and the main difference between the Evo and the Pro series is that the Pros are using the more stable MLC. And the few pages I trust also say its TLC.

Does the "3-bit" part in the description imply TLC?

I mean, Triple is technically Multi..

Well, it seems the time has come to replace my old laptop, since the screen got broken (I can still plug into another screen, but...). Since my daughter wants to pay half as a birthday/early Xmas present (with the caveat that she wants to game on it too), I can consider getting a gaming laptop  

The best deal around right now seems to be the Acer Nitro line, with a 2.3 GHz i5-8300U, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, and a GTX 1050 on sale for $750 CAD. I’ll probably look into upping the RAM and getting an SSD if I can keep it under a grand. Can I safely assume this will keep us happy for some time?

E: which brings me to this, on the edge of my budget. Stil “only” 8GB tho...

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-9300h-256gb-ssd-8gb-ram-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-win-10/13620829?icmp=Recos_3across_tp_sllng_prdcts&referrer=PLP_Reco

But I can pick this right now:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-red-intel-core-i5-8300h-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-gtx-1050/13819636

Edited by StrandedonEarth

49 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

(with the caveat that she wants to game on it too)

In that case I would definitely take the one with the better GPU, which is the expensive ASUS machine. You can still upgrade the RAM or the SSD in a year or whenever you need to. You could also upgrade the GPU by using some external USB solution, but that's always awkward.

1 hour ago, Harry Rhodan said:

In that case I would definitely take the one with the better GPU, which is the expensive ASUS machine. You can still upgrade the RAM or the SSD in a year or whenever you need to. You could also upgrade the GPU by using some external USB solution, but that's always awkward.

Ya sold me. I ordered the $999 one; hopefully it’ll get to the store on their next truck on Wednesday. It threw me off a little when I realized it didn’t have a numpad, but we decided we could do without