KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

• 1 month later...

i have now won the newegg shuffle twice and still don't have a video card. 

no i wont change my policy about notifications being evil. never, nope, negatory notifications will never be enabled on any device i own. 

Edited by Nuke

15 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i have now won the newegg shuffle twice and still don't have a video card. 

no i wont change my policy about notifications being evil. never, nope, negatory notifications will never be enabled on any device i own. 

I've gotten several by just shopping Best Buy mid week.  Around 11-1, online site.  Mind you, that's just 3070s... but again that was all I was shopping for.

Edit - that was all last year, btw (Fall 2020 and Early Spring 2021).  I don't know what the supply situation is currently, but it should be better than a year ago - one would hope.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

19 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I've gotten several by just shopping Best Buy mid week.  Around 11-1, online site.  Mind you, that's just 3070s... but again that was all I was shopping for.

Edit - that was all last year, btw (Fall 2020 and Early Spring 2021).  I don't know what the supply situation is currently, but it should be better than a year ago - one would hope.

3070 is what im looking for 3070 ti if i can get it. i technically could afford a 3080 at msrp, but it might be exceeding my thermal and power restrictions. im also space limited. 2 slot card if full length, i can do a 3 slot if its shorter.  i also have a height constraint, but this usually just means i need a u-adapter or low profile connector. i was able to get the cad reference model for my case so i can get pretty accurate measurements. can also figure out the dimensions of the card with some analysis in gimp by comparing known lengths to unknown ones. turns out i can get a rather massive card in that thing, but cards of this generation are excessively massive. 

on a side note i intend to get the new build off the bench today. i was actually able to buy a high performance 2tb gen4 ssd for the boot drive. i also modded my cpu cooler brackets. the metal used was incredibly tough, i killed 2 carbide drill bits and four hours with a set of files to move the mounting holes over 3 mm. i lose a bit of contact area, but at least the heat pipes now clear gpus with backplates. installed both yesterday. today is the gpu transplant. going to put my 2070 super in the new build for now. i also re-jiggered my fan arrangement and shaved a couple degrees off my cpu temps. 

btw, is it common for ryzen 5800x to hit 90 at full load? granted i had to spam it with cenebench and randomxmonero to get it to do that. it idles way down in the 50s. im still tweaking the fan curves in the bios to find a happy medium between loud and cool. 

Edited by Nuke

Current Specs

i7-9700k

GTX 1080Ti

32GB DDR4 Ram

Future Specs

i7-12700k

EVGA 3070 ( maybe a Ti , If I can bite the bullet and sell my kidneys )

32 GB DDR4  Ram

Interim Specs

i7-12700k

New Motherboard due the LGA 1700 Socket

Same old Watercooled GTX 1080ti ( See 3070 above lmao )

32 GB DDR4Ram

This will be my setup within a few weeks , just waiting on the LGA MB conversion stuff from Corsair so i can use my current H150i Cooler on the new CPU . It's actually just 4 New Stand Off posts for the cooler with a 1mm difference .

Also bought a New PC Case  a Fractal Torrent , the solid one without the window , more into Go than Show regarding PC Specs . 5th Personel build for myself over the last 10 years or so and first proper upgrade in about 3 years .

Not going to go nuts on the OC just a steady and safe 5GHz OC , same as my current 9700k runs , but the 12700k has way better single core peformance anyhow .

Looked at DDR5 stuff and OMG how much.....!!!??? so nope .

15 hours ago, Nuke said:

i killed 2 carbide drill bits and four hours with a set of files to move the mounting holes over 3 mm

Sounds like you are having fun! 

I like building my own rigs, but have never ventured into water cooling.  Originally it was for people who did not mind risking burning up a chip to eke out the highest performance on chips that likely had plenty of overhead due to the binning practices of the time.  I knew plenty of folks who bricked their comps learning how to do all that.  And they all had fun doing it. I never felt like I could afford the risk - so I'd just buy good stuff (not bleeding edge - but rather the price /performance sweet spot that Tech Report showed) and run it with good air management and big fans... And then keep it for 2-3 generations until the hardware started to struggle with the games. 

Nowadays with the binning process - it seems like the gains expected of overclocked high end gear are minimal and aesthetic considerations are driving much of the custom building.

That said - I can be doggedly persistent in search of what I want, and once I convinced myself I did not need a 3080, finding a 3070 was just a matter of time.  And timing. 

I quickly lost faith in NE because of their allowing bots to snatch gear.  It's why I settled on BB as my source (no MCs within a 2-hour drive).  BB's site requires a 2-step verification process which I thought fair.  Several days of looking during the optimal times and hoping to get lucky paid off. 

Hope you find what you are looking for.  I know I enjoy my 3070 and the ability to run a 32-inch 4k monitor (FI32U).  

I will say that 3070 is likely 'entry level 4k'.  But the performance gains of even the ti refresh don't seem worth the vig.  I'll wait for the next generation to see if the 4k performance is worth me buying one of those and gifting my 3070 to my son... But unless the performance is significant, I'll likely do what I always do and skip generations for the real performance increase later down the line 

well the cooler ive been fighting with for months, the noctua nh-c14s. its possibly the largest air cooler ive used to date (i mostly build small form factor rigs). my case is too low profile for the standard orientation. but i found out you could get a kit to enable a 90 degree mounting option for am4. while this finally fit. the ends of the heat pipes were uncomfortably close to the gpu, so close in fact i put some kapton tape on the tips to keep them from shorting it out gpu components. newer video cards (like the 2070 super i just put in) have a backplate a few mm above the pcb. the block has removable brackets that mount it to the brackets you install on the mobo. offsetting the holes in the former bracketrs lets me lift the cooler away from the gpu a few mm. since the kit included a second set of those, modding one pair was acceptable (id still have the old ones in case it didnt work out) the plan was to drill and tap a new set of m3 holes, and i figured the carbide would make short work of it, but i underestimated the toughness of the metal. my bits kept walking off and doing their own thing, resulting in holes unfit for tapping.  i did manage to tap one of the four holes, but ended up filing out the threads so it would match the others. i dug through my box of machine screws and found the right screws, nuts and washers. the mating surface on the block was slightly larger than the cpu, likely because this thing supports a lot of different cpus. though i have no line of sight i really cant tell if im overhanging a lot or not. probibly a mm or two.

water cooling is something i still don't trust. i hear lots of stories where it works great one day and the pump stalls and you are offline for a couple weeks while you wait for a new pump. i also heard of coolant evaporating right out of an aio loop. this rig mines in its off hours so i didnt like the idea of random failures. the fan on my cryorig c7 in my old rig failed, and it was still able to keep the cpu cool enough to boot. i then printed a bracket to let me attach a 120mm fan to it, and now it works better than it ever did. i gave considerable thought to going with an aio for this build and probibly would have if my mounting mod didnt work. 

idk what overclocking means anymore. in the olden days it meant physically replacing an oscillator module on the mobo and fiddling with jumpers. then it became tweaking the clocks in the bios. now what is it, getting the most turbo? you technically overclock the memory when you load the xmp profile. last couple builds those worked flawlessly. but if this memory was engineered to be overclocked, is it really an overclock? its being used as the manufacturer intended. same goes with turbo. usually you just optimize your cooling design to get as close to the max turbo a cpu can handle. im happy to use these features in this way and dont really like messing with that stuff manually. stability is more important than a couple more fps. nice hash, which ive used to fund half this build (you could even count the gpu because its roi'ed itself twice) does this overclocking calibration on the gpu. i used the best efficiency option and it ended up downclocking the gpu slightly to get me a better hashrate/watt. im fine with this. 

been trying to hit those bb drops but i always end up missing them. going to a physical store is not an option for me. the cost to travel to the nearest city with a best buy would be a few hundred bucks, cost of living in rural alaska. going with a 6800xt is also an option, its supposedly slightly better than what im using, im also open to seeing what intel arc can do, but it sounds like they are delayed. id go as low as a 3060 ti. im also concerned about fitment. im using the zotac mini version of the 2070 super and it was a beast to install. i think the best way will be to do custom cables, because the ones that came with the psu are way too long and are currently taking up the space that a longer video card would go. 

Edited by Nuke

44 minutes ago, Nuke said:

coolant evaporating right out of an aio loop

One of the guys I referenced had that - although he had other problems as well (his was an early AIO he bought off a friend who was going for a super premium look with a custom water block)... The main problem was his PSU - which while rated for the draw was a bit old and dusty - something he did not figure out until after replacing the water cooling (with his own customizable store - bought kit), still experiencing problems and then realized that his Mobo was unhappy with him - all due to the PSU. 

50 minutes ago, Nuke said:

you technically overclock the memory when you load the xmp profile

A fact that ticked me off when I bought 'good, high speed RAM' and only after a few weeks of not seeing improvement found out about XMP and technical over clocking.   (Sometimes you need to know more than 'the box has PC 3200' written on it!};D

i dont think id have evaporation issues with the humidity being so high. though ive seen aios with refill ports. humidity is frequently in the 90-100% range and dry spells are few and far between. but i am concern me about condensation. one of my cats frequently licks the condensation off the sides of my coke can or beverage glass, when shes not dipping her paw in. my biggest concern is leaks spilling on my expensive (and now unobtanium) graphics card.

things were bad in the early days of xmp, i seldom got the rated clock. i spent a lot of cycles doing memtest86 and then ticking up the voltage until it passed. this took hours. you could get it to work on a pair of sticks, but with 4, you always had to take a hit somewhere. eventually 2 slot boards became common, i was a big fan of shortened micro atx and then later the mini itx form factor. id just buy the best ram i could afford that was on the qvl. 

Grin - I'm a long time member over at [H], where I'm reminded how much of a pleb I am regularly.  Thankfully it has a good crew of folks willing to help break things down barney style.  My uncle really likes small form factor builds, too.  He waxes poetic about them almost. 

Me on the other hand?  I've got a honking big Corsair box with great airflow.  Problem for me with small builds is neandertal paws.  (I'd never make a good watchmaker).

I tried so hard to make 4 sticks work - mostly, because I'm a cheap buzzard and would rather buy another two sticks for 80 to make 16 than to spend 2.5x that to get a pair of 8s.  Finally gave up on that recently.  Some of the [H] folks linked me to some really good info that convinced me I was butting my head against the wrong wall.  Bought a 5600x and a pair of 8s and now I'm kicking myself for all the hours of frustration I put myself through over the years.  Sometimes we just get in our own way, for our own reasons!

Damn thing is - I've found I like the 4k graphics so much I'm willing to take a performance hit (presumes frames stay in the 60s)... but Tarkov has a way of stressing my card at times.  I really like their map design.  I could go the old route and turn down the visuals; but that is antithetical to what I'm going for with the current rig.  My other games are pretty buttery; the 3070 is a good card... but frankly I'm not sure even a 3090 would kick tail at 4k with the bells and whistles. 

Thing I'm looking forward to is DLSS being enabled.  (we keep getting SOONTM hints that it is in the pipeline)  If I get the 30 fps jump they're advertising, I'll be thrilled.

So yesterday the Motherboard : Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi and the i7-12700k turned up .

8am this morning , which has never happened here to me in 14 years the DPD truck turned up with the Fractal Torrent PC Case . I'm used to stuff arriving here by around 2-3pm so was having a lay in lmao .

Just got to wait now ( grrrrrrrrrrrr...) as them 4 little swop out CPU Mounting screws from Corsair are being shipped from..............The USA to England , so yer Monday next week at the earliest :unsure:

Anyhow a Pic

DGbo5J8.jpg

On 1/11/2022 at 4:55 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Grin - I'm a long time member over at [H], where I'm reminded how much of a pleb I am regularly.  Thankfully it has a good crew of folks willing to help break things down barney style.  My uncle really likes small form factor builds, too.  He waxes poetic about them almost. 

Me on the other hand?  I've got a honking big Corsair box with great airflow.  Problem for me with small builds is neandertal paws.  (I'd never make a good watchmaker).

I tried so hard to make 4 sticks work - mostly, because I'm a cheap buzzard and would rather buy another two sticks for 80 to make 16 than to spend 2.5x that to get a pair of 8s.  Finally gave up on that recently.  Some of the [H] folks linked me to some really good info that convinced me I was butting my head against the wrong wall.  Bought a 5600x and a pair of 8s and now I'm kicking myself for all the hours of frustration I put myself through over the years.  Sometimes we just get in our own way, for our own reasons!

Damn thing is - I've found I like the 4k graphics so much I'm willing to take a performance hit (presumes frames stay in the 60s)... but Tarkov has a way of stressing my card at times.  I really like their map design.  I could go the old route and turn down the visuals; but that is antithetical to what I'm going for with the current rig.  My other games are pretty buttery; the 3070 is a good card... but frankly I'm not sure even a 3090 would kick tail at 4k with the bells and whistles. 

Thing I'm looking forward to is DLSS being enabled.  (we keep getting SOONTM hints that it is in the pipeline)  If I get the 30 fps jump they're advertising, I'll be thrilled.

sff is not for the faint of heart, and this ncase m1 (which they no longer make) has been a monster.  its a beautiful case, i love the all around anodized aluminum finish. it takes up less space than my elite 110. i did go from 15 liters to 12 but because its a bit taller and less wide it ended up taking up a lot less desk space. the real reason for the switch was gpu capacity, this new case can (supposidly) handle a full length video card (at least for the previous generation of cards). though i have my doubts. the hold over card just barely fit, i have my doubts about a 30xx series. but its not something you can work on easily. ive had to remove and reinstall my cpu cooler no fewer than 5 times. if i wanted to upgrade something other than the gpu or the rear ssd, id have to take the whole thing apart. even with the tool-less pop off panels. i think maybe 12 liters is too insane, even for me. but im happy with the build, even though im stuck on a 2070 super for now

im tempted to give up the mad dash for a video card and maybe put my money to more practical things. like a bigger monitor, or replace my aging ch controllers, maybe even an ebike or new bbq grill. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

put my money to more practical things. like a bigger monitor

So - that was my driving force this last year.  I'm a combination of uber-frugal and someone who buys quality and holds onto it for a long time.  Since '94 I've owned 2 monitors, my original Dell 24" CRT and a HP 24" 1080p IPS.  Finally decided I wanted something bigger and faster.  For me that meant 4k, 32-inch and a 144hz refresh rate.  Sadly such a beast did not exist when I made the decision to buy it.  So I watched and waited and when this Gigabyte FI32U came on the market I snatched it up.  Very pleased with it.  But it did require me to upgrade the GPU and as I mentioned 3070, as good as it is... is really just the minimum spec you want for 4k.

I swear - 32 inch 4k is the perfect desktop size.  I can have two full sized windows open side by side (document and Excel, for instance) and read both without my cheaters.

(This is a maddening and never ending hobby)

way i see it its nice to have the choice between 4k or high refresh at a lower res. having both at the same time is highly impractical. super sampling is starting to address this issue though. nvidia's approach (and intel will use something similar with its arc line), is fine on games that support it, usually. its still kind of ugly on the 20xx line, and supposedly the 30xx line does it better. but its still something that requires a lot of effort to implement and thus will not support all my games. the amd approach seems better, as it can be turned on for everything, but it likely comes up with a quality hit. i have a feeling it is going to be awhile before its awesome and everywhere. 

ive been running 4k at 60 hz for awhile now.  i bought this monitor when i was still running my 1060 and 4k was only useful for movies and productivity, i still ran games at 1080., the 2070 super let me run some games at 4k. interestingly enough, my main 3 can all run at 4k-60hz. mwo i run at low settings, since the game is highly competitive, yet also slow enough paced that 60hz really isn't an issue (tech reviewers using twitch shooters as their benchmark is not representative of the games i actually play, so the frames win games argument is bunk as far as im concerned). kerbal and minecraft both run great at 4k, as they are more cpu driven and less gpu dependant. all 3 are running a lot better from the cpu upgrade alone on the same gpu (i also have twice as much ram, and its faster, so that might have something to do with it). i might have a different viewpoint if i ran more (any) aaa games or more twitch shooters.

i think id want something in a 34"-38" range. problem is screens in that range tend to be < 4k so id take a hit to resolution, but they also tend to have higher refresh. 32 inch is the sweet spot that has the most options, just too close to what im running now and hard to justify the upgrade (especially if i have to take a hit to resolution). though i wonder if id be better off just going 1440p , probibly in a widescreen format. considering the age of my current monitor, it still has a lot of bells and whistles i dont currently have and i find myself turning up the ui scaling a lot to just be able to read things. 

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i think id want something in a 34"-38" range. problem is screens in that range tend to be < 4k so id take a hit to resolution, but they also tend to have higher refresh. 32 inch is the sweet spot that has the most options, just too close to what im running now and hard to justify the upgrade (especially if i have to take a hit to resolution). though i wonder if id be better off just going 1440p , probibly in a widescreen format. considering the age of my current monitor, it still has a lot of bells and whistles i dont currently have and i find myself turning up the ui scaling a lot to just be able to read things.

One of the driving factors for me was that, even at 'normal' viewing range, I could see the pixels on my 1080p monitor.  That bugged me.  4k at 32 has a higher pixel density - and I really don't notice the individual pixels even when I lean in (happens during intense gaming / scenes).  If you get higher than 28 inches with anything less than 4k you're going to be seeing pixels.  (1440p 32 is roughly equal to 1080 24).

In my debates with people on this - many had tried out the OLED 48s as a monitor - which is fine and immersive for movies but overwhelming as a desktop

On 1/14/2022 at 2:15 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

One of the driving factors for me was that, even at 'normal' viewing range, I could see the pixels on my 1080p monitor.  That bugged me.  4k at 32 has a higher pixel density - and I really don't notice the individual pixels even when I lean in (happens during intense gaming / scenes).  If you get higher than 28 inches with anything less than 4k you're going to be seeing pixels.  (1440p 32 is roughly equal to 1080 24).

In my debates with people on this - many had tried out the OLED 48s as a monitor - which is fine and immersive for movies but overwhelming as a desktop

i think im in the same boat as you were in where the monitor i want just doesn't exist. even with huge budgets, upgrades that are actually better than what i am running are few and far between (even though i have twice the budget as before). i think i spent $409 on this one (Samsung U28E590D ) back in 2016. i dont think im as sensitive to pixel pitch as you are. but then again i dont want to have a monitor that would look dated when i do get around to upgrading my gpu. id rather buy more than i need than not enough (that was the idea i had when i bought this one, and its worked out). i dont think id go any less than 3840x1600, but then again those monitors, at around 34" are way too expensive. 

Edited by Nuke

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

around 34

The thing about the 34 ultrawides is they have the same vertical dimensions as a 27.  My HD monitor was a 16:10 and I really did not want to lose the vertical real estate. 

The 38 ultrawides are pretty good but expensive 

(or are you looking for a 34" standard monitor?  That would be sweet at 4k)