Hunting the 10,000 Pm SSTV signal

Nazalassa

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: due to more procrastination, two exams, and even more procrastination, I still haven't found time to get a YouTube channel (or something like it) to post my video.
In the meantime, I'll probably edit and render the other, older videos.

Just now, Nazalassa said:

Quick update: due to more procrastination, two exams, and even more procrastination, I still haven't found time to get a YouTube channel (or something like it) to post my video.
In the meantime, I'll probably edit and render the other, older videos.

No rush @Nazalassa, you still have two hours before your deadline. :mad:

just kidding, good luck on those exams :D

OK, it will take even more time, considering I stupidely reformated the external drive all my recordings were on :'(

Finally, the recovering program accepts to read from something else that stdin (I use foremost).

[~] sudo foremost -v -t mp4 -i /dev/sda1 -o ~/rec

1 TB to scan... That's going to take a while.

Just now, tajwo said:

I was wondering why your command had /dev/sda in it....

/dev/sda1 is the file corresponding to the partition I thought my recordings were stored, on external drive sda (which is /dev/sda), because on Linux everything is a file :)

It is mounted at /media/<username>/<partitionLabel>/

On 12/9/2022 at 7:39 AM, Nazalassa said:

I just decoded the signal in your video and I confirm it is rickrolled. Mabe the signal doesn't play at precisely 10,000.000000000000000 Pm, but a bit firther, for floating point reasons.

It is 100% fake.

-The real Duna SSTV signal has an echo effect applied

-The signal volume is inconsistent with the rest of the game's volume

And this is a slight stretch, but if Squad added another signal, I'm willing to bet they would have used the mode Robot 24 instead of switching to Martin 2 for whatever reason.

Even just pressing one button to output the signal in robot mode would have made this 10x more convincing.

23 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It is 100% fake.

And this is a slight stretch, but if Squad added another signal, I'm willing to bet they would have used the mode Robot 24 instead of switching to Martin 2 for whatever reason.

Even just pressing one button to output the signal in robot mode would have made this 10x more convincing.

I know, @RoninFrog told me it was fake.

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

It is 100% fake.

I decoded it. RICKROLLED!

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, RoninFrog said:

Hmm well I found something.

https://youtu.be/96RNsJjd7L8

Couldn't find a decoder online so I've no idea what I intercepted though.  Anyone know how SSTV works?

I'm not entirely sure if my KSP is up to date, and I've also got a bunch of visual mods installed, so not entirely sure why mine worked and other people's didn't.

I just ran back into this thread and decoded it with my Robot36 app!

Screenshot-20230223-090525-Robot36.jpg

That is absolutely hilarious!

On 1/5/2023 at 5:07 PM, Nazalassa said:

Update: Hunting the 10,00 Pm SSTV Signal, parts 1 & 2, are now rendered and ready for upload.
What a shame I don't have a YouTube account!

I may modify some stuff in them and well... Thanks for bringing back my attention to this thread, which reminds me that I have to try to get that YouTube account (or an alternative, but none seem to be better than YouTube) as I completely forgot :)

One day, eventually...

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, Nazalassa said:

I may modify some stuff in them and well... Thanks for bringing back my attention to this thread, which reminds me that I have to try to get that YouTube account (or an alternative, but none seem to be better than YouTube) as I completely forgot :)

One day, eventually...

that day shall come!

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, JustDark said:

I just stumbled upon this thread and Im a little confused, what exactly is this? Another SSTV signal was found?

It was rumoured and never confirmed. 

At this point we can assume it was either a hoax or a strange intermittent bug.

12 hours ago, JustDark said:

I just stumbled upon this thread and Im a little confused, what exactly is this? Another SSTV signal was found?

It is about a rumor that I tried to infirm / confirm. As @Deddly said, it's probably just a bug, since I have not found it (yet).

Edited by Nazalassa

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.