Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

how long until we can see an actual full release of KSP2? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years?

this early access <insert generic swear word here> definitely isnt the release we were expecting for early 2023, there arent even any new features, its basically just a dumbed down version of ksp1 without science or anything... you are literally making people pay for alpha-testing your game instead of paying someone to test the game for you... thats not how it should work...

how long are you going to take to add each of the topics in the mind map? i mean after 6 years of development all that stuff should be about finished and just need some polishing or am i wrong?

can you please just stop trolling your fanbase and give us some facts?

Just now, Fullmetal Analyst said:

how long until we can see an actual full release of KSP2? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years?

this early access <insert generic swear word here> definitely isnt the release we were expecting for early 2023, there arent even any new features, its basically just a dumbed down version of ksp1 without science or anything... you are literally making people pay for alpha-testing your game instead of paying someone to test the game for you... thats not how it should work...

how long are you going to take to add each of the topics in the mind map? i mean after 6 years of development all that stuff should be about finished and just need some polishing or am i wrong?

It's not dumbed down, it has more parts and better graphics, the planets are higher quality. I'm guessing 1-3 months between updates, depending on what the update is.

18 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

They have QA testers, but they can't cover an entire game. A community hunting for krakens is a lot less limited than a few QA testers.

21 minutes ago, Ryaja said:

It's not dumbed down

well its ksp1 but with fewer features and no mods

3 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

They have QA testers, but they can't cover an entire game. A community hunting for krakens is a lot less limited than a few QA testers.

then let us play the game for free until the testing is done, its not like the studio is that desperate for money, having people pay 50€ to test the game for you is just rude...

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

11 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

well its ksp1 but with fewer features and no mods.

It has more features, and is more moddable. Yes that is with the first early access release too.

Edited by Ryaja

25 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

now they are ripping them off with this early access <insert generic swear word here> to add another 1-2 years of dev time

Surprising fact:

You always have the option of not paying for it and not playing it. 

It's not like you're playing it now, so you lose nothing, but gain peace of mind and keep $50.

27 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Man people really do be complaining about the developers being honest and upfront about whats releasing. God damn.

maybe we expected more than a paid alpha test after 6 years of dev time...

i mean if they valued the communities input on their development they wouldnt have been so secretive about it the whole time, they obviously just want money, else they would let us play the game for free until its finished, usually you pay people for doing QA for you, not the other way around...

12 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

usually you pay people for doing QA for you, not the other way around

I have seen a lot of people saying things like this over the years. For sure, TakeTwo do employ professional QA testers, and they do a great job, but there are some things that just never come to light until you get the whole community involved, especially in something so expansive as KSP with so many ways of doing things that were never originally imagined by the developers. In a community filled with people passionate about something, there will be volunteers willing to do their little bit to help out. For example, moderators on this forum are unpaid volunteers. Why be a moderator, then? Because some people like to help, and to some people, not everything in life needs to be rewarded with monetary compensation to be considered worthwhile. 

But it's not for everyone. If you or anyone else don't want to file bug reports or give feedback to shape development, that's absolutely fine and nobody should try to make you feel bad about it. It's volunteer work, not a press gang. So in that case, either $10 off is worth it to you or it's totally OK to just wait it out and see what comes of it. If that's what you plan on doing, then I completely understand the frustration over what is effectively another delay, from your perspective. 

13 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

maybe we expected more than a paid alpha test after 6 years of dev time...

Just a reminder that Covid hit them? You know, the pandemic we've been in for the past 2+ years? The pandemic that led to you having to wear a mask everywhere, possibly within your own home if you're sick?
That's somehow not a factor in all this, at all?

What about the fact that KSP isn't a mainstream game, and T2 would prefer to put their resources toward bigger projects like GTA6? Star Theory Intercept Games ain't half as big as Id Software, and even Id took 6 years to make Doom 2016. They also had an open beta running for their multiplayer.

The fact that KSP2 is releasing so the whole community can help in squashing bugs and suggesting quality of life stuff is great. The only qualm I have with it is the price being a touch too high, and that's it.

14 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

mean if they valued the communities input on their development they wouldnt have been so secretive about it the whole time

They're under a contract. They can't just go around telling people "hey we got 50 bugs in our game!". Also, they haven't been as secretive as they could be. Did you miss every "Developer's Insight" post, every "Show & Tell" post, and every "Feature Videos" post? They went into detail about how the orbits work. Nertea (a veteran KSP modder who is now working at Intercept Games) showed the entire process to implementing a new part.

That doesn't sound "secretive." In fact, it's generous. Demonstrates that they know what they're doing.

27 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

they obviously just want money, else they would let us play the game for free until its finished

Dude, it's basically KSP1 but much cleaner and optimised from scratch. Of course it has a price tag.

Also, for free? Name three good early access releases that were completely free, no paid additions or anything.

23 minutes ago, Deddly said:

so many ways of doing things that were never originally imagined by the developers.

a bit late to draw this conclusion now, no?

23 minutes ago, Deddly said:

there will be volunteers willing to do their little bit to help out.

i would gladly volunteer to help out, but im not willing to help them for free and also pay them 50€ for it, what a joke

i doubt the moderators have to pay 50€ to help them with their forum xD

15 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Did you miss every "Developer's Insight" post, every "Show & Tell" post, and every "Feature Videos" post?

they contained mostly absolutely meaningless stuff, nothing interesting about any new features, not a single word about multiplayer, except that it will exist in some way, and the only thing we know about colonies is that they exist, they will gather resources, and work as some sort of VAB

possibly within your own home

what an absurd thought

You know, the pandemic we've been in for the past 2+ years?

homeoffice exists

What about the fact that KSP isn't a mainstream game, and T2 would prefer to put their resources toward bigger projects like GTA6? Star Theory Intercept Games ain't half as big as Id Software, and even Id took 6 years to make Doom 2016. They also had an open beta running for their multiplayer.

how many copies of ksp1 did they sell again?

The fact that KSP2 is releasing so the whole community can help in squashing bugs and suggesting quality of life stuff is great. The only qualm I have with it is the price being a touch too high, and that's it.

that would be a good thing if they let us play the game for free at least until the multiplayer is released, they would get tons of feedback and free help, but i doubt alot of people are willing to pay 50€ to do QA for them

all in all i dont understand what they think they are gaining from treating their community like this

55 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

they obviously just want money

It's amazing how well that suff buys groceries and pays the rent.

You get a lot more for it than you do with "making random people happy on the internet".

1 minute ago, razark said:

It's amazing how well that suff buys groceries and pays the rent.

You get a lot more for it than you do with "making random people happy on the internet".

remind me, how many copies of ksp1 did they sell?

i highly doubt that they need the money, they just want it and they want it now xD

remind me, how many copies of ksp1 did they sell?

Don't know, don't care, isn't relevant.

i highly doubt that they need the money, they just want it and they want it now xD

You realize that this is exactly how a business operates, right?

You've paid them nothing.  You're owed nothing.

If it's that upsetting, walk away.

17 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

"secretive" Hmm I wonder why.

dont understand why anyone would even want to work with repurposed bovine waste like this xD especially for a game that relies heavily on its community like KSP

7 minutes ago, razark said:

You're owed nothing.

i think they owe us for trolling us with the release date for years :antinormal::sticktongue::antinormal:

5 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

bruh look at the "timeline", we dont even have science and tech tree...

1BSokOT.png

Let's see, a plethora of new parts, improved lighting engine, rebuilt engine, better performance, improved mod ability(there is probably going to be science and career mods day one), improved tutorials, and last but not least overhauled planets, and possibly more.

3 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:
3 hours ago, razark said:

You're owed nothing.

i think they owe us for trolling us with the release date for years :antinormal::sticktongue::antinormal:

@razarkis right, none of us are owed anything. Stop calling the devs trolls your being a troll by calling them trolls, looking for a reaction by being negative, the devs aren't trolling, their trying to push boundaries which takes work a lot of work success is just hundreds of failures and people pushing through them, looking for the end, success, which can only truly be achieved by failing and falling, but I assure you the game will be better because of its stumbles not worse.

7 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Anyways, I think that if I can find more than 15 bugs in an hour, there's a problem...

The devs are probably doing early access because their finding that many, and the community is great at finding, and fixing bugs.