Mission name generator

Ryaja

I have this problem, a lot of other people do too, I can never name my crafts, I just can't think of a name. So I suggest there be a button next to the name that looks like a die or something and changes the current name or the untitled spacecraft name to a random one.

5 hours ago, Ryaja said:
5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I thought someone made a random ke list generator a while back.

Not what I was looking for but eh.

https://www.scifiideas.com/posts/kerbal-space-program-ship-name-generator/

Generating 20 decisions does not help with my indecision.

They just figured that generating 20 decisions would help with you deciding what decisions you need in the first place. Narrowing down a stream of thoughts into 20 simple choices, reducing the possible outcomes by a factor of a million, they just figured it'd help.

59 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I normally just pick a theme and try to name them accordingly. 1st little ship = humming bird, next ship something like chickadee, then sparrow, blue jay, etc...

I like the Elite Dangerous convention of picking a random snake. Acrochord for example. Dendrolycus. :)

I have a huge database of names, mostly generated using a python script on my calculator when I was bored in class. The program itself generates a random string of letters. If I see one that looks good, I modify it a bit to make it even better, and then I have a name.

Here's a part of the database:

Spoiler

Telpin, Irza, Vlix, Yalroi, Zibuley, Izycari, Dapaoh, Syfinc, Niuoé, Yeolé, Qmaar, Ifiaeai, Xeya, Milaniec, Oileyo, Ziolauxi, Oéuc, Uyec, Khiarye, Izodualo, Mefiz, Smiscyinim, Aofaï, Yulo, Aisrabii, Dugatedu, Icelbeqa, Nurfuli, Phuné, Gaëlae, Uiapiysin, Xotaui, Isaxquazi, Yusli, Yisyfiyi, Uceioli, Cifyz, Siliae, Negocolé, Heqfeki, Vyaï, Viegy, Xyca, Abtezo, Fkyepty, Mudior, Yeny, Imeya, Okarki, Eoym, Diweda, Cowon, Yétène, Emecycus, Xolea, Olrug, Yecsogol, Ofirnyx, Xuyoyam, Atoceyno, Xuhapadavimibus, Surixi, Notasufren, Irkyd, Aey, Vyhrim, Yzakhid, Etum, Rainué, Sucalasy

I just go with the following:

Suborbital launches and flybys: [body]Shot [number] e.g. MunShot 1

Tourist missions: TourShot [number].  If leaving LKO, [Body] TourShot [number], e.g. Duna TourShot 1.

Rescue missions: Rescue [number].  If rescuing a Kerb outside of LKO, [kerbname] Rescue.

Relays: [body]Com [number] e.g. MinCom 3

Landers: [body] [number] e.g. Laythe 1

UnKerbed landers: [body]Probe [number] e.g. EveProbe 48

Bases (including ground science stations): [body]Base [number] e.g. MunBase 1

Stations, rovers: you get the idea…

It’s simple, consistent, easy to pick up on of you’re coming back to a save after some time away and keeps all missions to a given body filed together in the VAB/SPH.  And I do get a bit of a fifties/sixties scifi vibe from it.  A Greek alphabetic system (MunBase Alpha) would dial that up even more, but numbers are clearer.

Sometimes I just bust out a dictionary in a different language, pick a somewhat random word and use that. Kind of like how the Mars rovers get their names.

Other times I just look up names of birds or other animals. e.g. Kolibri- early suborbital and orbital rockets, Heron- Mun rockets and the like, Emu- interplanetary missions, etc...

6 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I have a huge database of names, mostly generated using a python script on my calculator when I was bored in class. The program itself generates a random string of letters. If I see one that looks good, I modify it a bit to make it even better, and then I have a name.

Here's a part of the database:

Hide contents

Telpin, Irza, Vlix, Yalroi, Zibuley, Izycari, Dapaoh, Syfinc, Niuoé, Yeolé, Qmaar, Ifiaeai, Xeya, Milaniec, Oileyo, Ziolauxi, Oéuc, Uyec, Khiarye, Izodualo, Mefiz, Smiscyinim, Aofaï, Yulo, Aisrabii, Dugatedu, Icelbeqa, Nurfuli, Phuné, Gaëlae, Uiapiysin, Xotaui, Isaxquazi, Yusli, Yisyfiyi, Uceioli, Cifyz, Siliae, Negocolé, Heqfeki, Vyaï, Viegy, Xyca, Abtezo, Fkyepty, Mudior, Yeny, Imeya, Okarki, Eoym, Diweda, Cowon, Yétène, Emecycus, Xolea, Olrug, Yecsogol, Ofirnyx, Xuyoyam, Atoceyno, Xuhapadavimibus, Surixi, Notasufren, Irkyd, Aey, Vyhrim, Yzakhid, Etum, Rainué, Sucalasy

Now just burn your calculators by converting it in to a machine learning script!

4 minutes ago, Ryaja said:

Now just burn your calculators by converting it in to a machine learning script!

Actually the program generates 12 lines, each having between 4 and 12 random letters, and then I take those that look like words and modify them to make them even more like words, it's not an AI :)

It's only me.

Just now, Nazalassa said:

Actually the program generates 12 lines, each having between 4 and 12 random letters, and then I take those that look like words and modify them to make them even more like words, it's not an AI :)

It's only me.

exactly, now you must make it an ai, and handwarmer!

6 minutes ago, Ryaja said:

exactly, now you must make it an ai, and handwarmer!

If you want an "AI" (any program that generates word-like sequences of letters alone) you should look into the code of some game -- I've recently found a LUA program that generates random names and seems to work pretty well.
LINK

I think it can easily be ported to Python.

I've used some of the web name generators for special ships, typically my larger interplanetary vessels to haul crews back & forth to Jool.  I tend to use fairly standard rocket designs, which also get named, but that is mostly just used for the subassemblies that I save.  For regular missions, I just use codes with numbers for each launch.   For example - OMV-1 is the first mission of an "Orbital Maneuver Vehicle" which is usually a one or two-man capsule with a small amount of dV & RCS.  Enough to maybe reach high orbit, rendezvous & dock with another capsule or target craft, etc.  My KSP equivalent to Gemini, basically.  The MPV series (Multi-Purpose Vehicle) with assorted variants (MPV-LR-# for the long range version) is the Mk 1-3 pod with anywhere from a few hundred dV in orbit to a few thousand.   OTV# is used for orbital tourist missions, with # being the passenger capacity.

4 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I think it can easily be ported to Python.

I'm sad, my calculator is the boring non-python version and all the non coder kids have one, also the h key on this school laptop has something under it.

10 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

What is it?

Dell something I haven't checked in a while, it only has 56 gigs and like 2-3 gigs of ram and is quite old, here one minute I'll pull it out and check school just ended.

Just checked, it is a latitude 3190, probably a 64 gb model only around 56 gb usable only around 12 free with everything on one drive. Also adobe creative cloud is banned even though the school is paying for it.

Edited by Ryaja

For the Lua code, you can copy-paste it here, and then remove the "lore." at line 249. Then run the script, and, to generate a name, simply type generate_name(4) in the prompt.

Spoiler

Here are my results:

> generate_name(4)
Kla
> generate_name(4)
Bafifrozo
> generate_name(4)
Cliusm
> generate_name(4)
Duinzow
> generate_name(4)
Uj

Sometimes it generates, better results, like Notowa

On 12/18/2022 at 8:56 PM, Ryaja said:

I have this problem, a lot of other people do too, I can never name my crafts, I just can't think of a name. So I suggest there be a button next to the name that looks like a die or something and changes the current name or the untitled spacecraft name to a random one.

A lot of my craft end up named after moons and major asteroids in our solar system (Oberon, Ceres, etc), many just named for what they do followed by a number of more than one (Tug01, Tug01, MunRelay03, MinmusFuelDepot, etc). 

Tourist and one off craft often just get a first name from a character from a favorite book or movie, or author (Clarke, Lewis, Orwell, Tolkien..) and occasionally an economist or philosopher (Plato, Mises, Rothbard, Epicticus...) 

Craft going to rescue a kerb usually just get something like JimbroRescue

There are a few mods which help generate ship names.  Here are two, if I find/remember more, I'll add them here:

This page has a number of mods, look for the one called "Oh Really? Another Name Generating Endeavour?":

Edited by linuxgurugamer

It's not so much I have a problem with coming up with names, I've got all sorts of names. My Minmus and Mun missions were Minmun and Maxmun respectively. It was more so the fact I kept reusing the same launch vehicle and forgot to label which missions they were.

Edited by Missingno200
Skipped an unnecessary but.