A few questions about KSP2 early release

Souptime

1, will the current DLC parts be included on release, or will you have to buy them again?

2, what're the minimum specs for the game? I heard it'll be a lot more refined than KSP 1 so I'm hoping it'll run on my potato (Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15abr)

3, once it fully releases will you have to pay for it again?

And 4, if I buy it on my potato and get a better potato will I be able to download it on there without needing to buy it again?

Not a spokesperson for the team or anything but here's what I know;

1. The DLC parts will not be in KSP2 to my knowledge, gotta have some reason to get people to play the first game.

2. Unknown sadly, probably won't be known until release at this point :/

3. Nope, it has been said on multiple occasions that you won't have to pay the regular cost if you buy it early.

4. I assume it would work like the first game where you can download copies as many times as you want with your account.

27 minutes ago, Souptime said:

will the current DLC parts be included on release, or will you have to buy them again?

There are no words on dlcs, not much is even known about 1.0 release besides what's on roadmap. The parts may even come as free update at some point in the future, who knows 

29 minutes ago, Souptime said:

what're the minimum specs for the game? I heard it'll be a lot more refined than KSP 1 so I'm hoping it'll run on my potato (Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15abr

It should be refined but it's also 10 years younger than original. If your potato struggled with 3 part ship in KSP1, it will struggle with 3 part ship in KSP2.

31 minutes ago, Souptime said:

once it fully releases will you have to pay for it again?

And 4, if I buy it on my potato and get a better potato will I be able to download it on there without needing to buy it again?

You ever had to buy any game twice?

1 hour ago, Souptime said:

1, will the current DLC parts be included on release, or will you have to buy them again?

I recall robotic parts from Breaking Ground being explicitly removed. Making History parts would seem like a strange thing to remove. I recall medium (1.875m) still being a size class. If they're looking to diversify the part set, it doesn't make any sense why Making History would be removed. Making it DLC would be especially strange considering just how big KSP 2 is going to get.

2, what're the minimum specs for the game? I heard it'll be a lot more refined than KSP 1 so I'm hoping it'll run on my potato (Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15abr)

Minimum spec is completely unknown. I predict we'll see the minimum spec a month prior to EA release (so January 30th at the latest). I recommend looking at KSP2's store page for a specs list.
Please note that "more refined" does not mean "runs easier", but likely means that performance is not wasted (e.g., single-threaded physics on a multi-threaded CPU, memory leaks, etc.). KSP 2 is likely more demanding than KSP1 from a graphics perspective.

I recommend taking whatever frame rate you're getting on KSP 1 and dividing it by 3. (e.g., 30 FPS --> 10 FPS). Worst case scenario is that KSP2 won't run at all.

IdeaPads are great as budget work laptops, but definitely not ideal for gaming. I recommend you get a gaming laptop, or- if you want to maximise what you get out of your budget- build a desktop PC out of individual components. If you decide to build a PC, I recommend using PCPartPicker to help you, as well as watching multiple guides to ensure you're not wasting money. http://pcpartpicker.com/

If you'd like, I can help you sort out a suitable parts list on a certain budget.

Remember, for any game and specs, check benchmarks.

Always check benchmarks. 

If you wait a bit, KSP2 will get some benchmarks of its own, so you could choose a suitable laptop or build the best PC for you based on those benchmarks.

That doesn't make any sense. Has there been any formerly Early Access game that has done this?

4, if I buy it on my potato and get a better potato will I be able to download it on there without needing to buy it again?

Buy KSP2 through Steam, and it doesn't matter what computer you have. (I don't know how this works for other launchers, but Steam is very trustable.) As long as you log back into the same account, your purchases are eternal and can be carried over to whatever computer you have.

5 hours ago, Souptime said:

1 we dont know. They did mention a parts count that was quite high compared to KSP 1.1, (333 parts in 1.1) but how mutch of that is interstellar and colony parts we just do not know.

2 devs know and are not saying.

3 usualy not you just pay for it once. But DLC anf expansions are another story.

4 it’s steam as long as you don’t violate the TOS you can install it on almost (exception maybe  for that idiotic RUMORS about Xbox PC and PlayStation PC  (basically a overbuilt Console version that’s next  and is supposedly part  console part PC that I doubt anyone  is working on.) 

Edited by Drakenred65

6 hours ago, Souptime said:

will the current DLC parts be included on release, or will you have to buy them again?

Whether parts were in previous DLC won't have any impact. Some, but not all KSP parts will return to KSP2, some parts from DLCs might be included as well (though, I'm not sure if any were confirmed), and there will be a bunch of new parts we haven't seen in the core KSP or the DLCs for it. And whenever we get DLC for KSP2, the parts from these could also be a mix of things we saw in the original game, its DLCs, and brand new parts.

The only specific confirmation we got, if I recall correctly, is that the robotics parts won't be in KSP2. But we don't know if they'll be added to the game in a future free update, a new DLC, or just never be featured outside of mods at all.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Does Skyrim VR count?

1. The current DLC parts will be included in the full release of the game.

2. The minimum specs for the game will depend on the platform you are playing on. You can check the system requirements on the game's official website.

3. No, once you purchase the game you will not need to pay for it again.

4. Yes, you will be able to download the game on a better potato without needing to buy it again.

8 hours ago, Jimmy12 said:

1. The current DLC parts will be included in the full release of the game.

That's not right. The robotic and all associated parts was specifically sited as not being included in KSP2. 

18 hours ago, Souptime said:

This is KSP 2,  not KSP 2.0.

Since it is a entirely separate game there is no guarantee that any parts from the first game will be in the 2nd game. If there are any there is no guarantee that they will look, function, or even be named the same. 

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

This is KSP 2,  not KSP 2.0.

Since it is a entirely separate game there is no guarantee that any parts from the first game will be in the 2nd game. If there are any there is no guarantee that they will look, function, or even be named the same. 

I remember someone somewhere saying that one of the reasons KSP 1 stopped updating was for KSP 2 to kinda catch up to it, and we have seen multiple regular KSP 1 parts in dev trailers and references to the old ones in new parts. I heavily doubt they'd start 100% from scratch because lots of people will want to play with the KSP 1 parts with the new parts too

19 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I mean, as far as I know you need to buy Minecraft if you want it on a different computer

18 minutes ago, Souptime said:

I remember someone somewhere saying that one of the reasons KSP 1 stopped updating was for KSP 2 to kinda catch up to it, and we have seen multiple regular KSP 1 parts in dev trailers and references to the old ones in new parts. I heavily doubt they'd start 100% from scratch because lots of people will want to play with the KSP 1 parts with the new parts too

For sure, and we have already seen numerous parts from the first game shown off.  
I am just saying don’t set any expectations as to what parts you will see or how they will work since anything could change based on the needs of the new game. 

Edited by MechBFP

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

That's not right. The robotic and all associated parts was specifically sited as not being included in KSP2. 

Do you remember where they said that? Did they say whether they might return? Robotic Parts are kind of really important to me if I'm honest. Always love to make foldy/adjustable designs.

I mean, as far as I know you need to buy Minecraft if you want it on a different computer

You can't play on two devices on the same account at the same time, that's obvious, but you just login on new pc to your already existing account. Nothing is assigned to hardware.

59 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

Do you remember where they said that? Did they say whether they might return? Robotic Parts are kind of really important to me if I'm honest. Always love to make foldy/adjustable designs.

I don't remember the source either. I just remember the fact that it was stated somewhere, and precisely because it made me so sad to learn it.

It should be relatively easy to add them with mods, though. So I hope we'll have some to hold us over until they are added to vanilla either as an update or DLC (which I hope will happen eventually).

49 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

I'd imagine motivation to mod from the get go might be low as game iterations could rather frequent.

So here's the thing, if we actually get access to Lua scripts with components, and there are Lua bindings to the full API, the changes might not impact mod compatibility as much as it has in the past. It might actually make sense to develop some of that fancy stuff in the Early Access. I'm sure there will be some breaking changes along the way, but so long as they don't up and replace the entire mod API on us, I think they'll be easily fixable.

i havent been following the development super close so this is the first ive heard of robotics parts not being in ksp2. that take a LOT of wind out of my sails if im honest. most of what ive done in ksp the last couple of years heavily relies on hinges and electric motors. unless theres some technical reason that just makes it impossible to do, i cant imagine what theyre thinking leaving that stuff out.

1 hour ago, Icky said:

unless theres some technical reason

Pure speculation, but the multiplayer, physics LoD and extended physics warp (for long burn maneuvers) might have something to do with it. No reason the robotics can't still work with warp when stowed and locked, and multiplayer is a well understood problem, but it's certainly added complexity that Intercept might not want at launch.

Alternatively, this is just a cheap way to add much desired DLC. Breaking Ground seems to have done well. If that's the case, I don't mind too much, but I hope they don't take too long.

6 hours ago, Souptime said:

Actually, you can carry over your purchase with the same account, just like Steam. I've carried my Minecraft across four computers now.

We saw the wheels in the game only at the end of last year, what robot parts can we talk about?! The developers never said anything about them, and most of what they talked about will not be available to players for who knows how long. The game will not even have science! Maybe in 2079 robot parts will appear ...

21 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Actually, you can carry over your purchase with the same account, just like Steam. I've carried my Minecraft across four computers now.

I even had my account stolen using voulnerability during migration. Got it back. Changed a number of computers and operating systems. Still only ever payed that 10 to Mojang directly back in infdev (pre-alpha) days.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:46 AM, Souptime said:

1 The current roadmap who end with multiplayer is part of early access so included in the game. 

Later DLC is unknown and will normally not be included, how this tend to work is that game will get an minor update with bugfixes, perhaps some minor updates and might handles for the dlc, you then need to buy the dlc for that functionality. 

2 minimum speck is unknown, its higher than KSP 1, as an indication its not coming for PS 4 and Xbox One as for now. 

3 Early access games is buy once 

4 And games also work on new computers, now say you want it on PS 5 you will need to buy it again.

16 hours ago, intelliCom said:

*ahem*...

Hide contents

Mods.

We'll be fine without robot parts in stock, I'm sure.

Well, in this case, we can live without KSP2, at the moment it differs little from KSP1 with mods.