My first KSP2 gameplay video

Space Scumbag

Thanks for sharing.

DEVS or ESA must be trolling tho. Please @Space Scumbag, tell me the graphics and especially the frame rate are only this bad because you ran the game on a glorified toaster at ESTEC. 

I mean I just had a look at 00:39 of the video and that gave me 3rd person radiating pain. What are that ? Like 4 Large, 8 Small boosters plus the rocket, and the Frame rate is like what? 10FPS?

Looks cool, however there are some things i noticed which arent all that great. 

Most of the parts appear to be reskins of KSP1 parts (some like the cockpits appear to be new).  Maybee this is just temporary, however i'm suprised that they actually used what appears to be 100% identical parts in this case. 

Wheels look buggy (like KSP1 levels of buggy if not worse with how they clipped thru things on the moon or planet you drove em down).  The collider implementation looks identical (single raycast to ground) which is dissapointing given how unrealistic it is to not have the wheels work properly when at any orientation but straight down.

UI looks meh.  Maybee this is just me, but KSP1 despite being simpler feels more natural and less forced on you) and it takes up less space overall).  This may just be a case of being used to KSP1, but if i had to pick right now i'd go with KSP1's UI over dat of KSP2.

While KSC looks beautiful (way nicer then any variation of KK mod, it does seem that alot of the moons are relatively bland (at least in comparison to modded KSP1).

01EEDhh.png

dP9VRpM.png

I'm sorry, but there is not even a remote comparison here between KSP2 and modded KSP1.

114GT1Y.png

IqyYufa.png

I mean it IS a very different asthetic and i believe the lower amount of scatters is an intentional design decision to make it less difficult for newer players (it genuinely is VERY hard to make rovers or even larger bases with parallax 2.0 that work properly and dont need jumpjets or excessive reaction control to move at anything beyond 10m/s).  I'm gonna reserve my final judgement for after the game gets out of early access, but even stock KSP1 doesnt look THAT much worse, and modded KSP1.  And on my rather pathetic computer (CPU just above the min KSP2 spec and a 1050TI GPU), framerates (with Eve+scatterer+waterfall+parallax2+DIRT+TURD) remains perfectly comfortable up to ~1000 parts (ive done over 2K, however it does get painfully bad at this point).

Again, gonna reserve final judgement once its out of early access, but sofar it doesnt look like the EA version is any better then modded KSP1.  My opinion may change is the game ends up being better optimized (and the sky/scatters look amazing), but aside from some later implemented features (like multiplayer) there isnt much KSP2 offers that ive seen sofar that cant be achieved thru at least 1 KSP1 mod...

Edited by panzer1b

5 hours ago, Mantarochen said:

I mean I just had a look at 00:39 of the video and that gave me 3rd person radiating pain. What are that ? Like 4 Large, 8 Small boosters plus the rocket, and the Frame rate is like what? 10FPS?

I'm not so sure that is a framerate drop, and not just a really bad thrust to weight ratio. The scene aside from the rocket appears to be smooth fps.

4 hours ago, Meecrob said:

I'm not so sure that is a framerate drop, and not just a really bad thrust to weight ratio. The scene aside from the rocket appears to be smooth fps.

There have been a few others commenting about low Frame rates on high part count rockets.

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Looks cool, however there are some things i noticed which arent all that great. 

Most of the parts appear to be reskins of KSP1 parts (some like the cockpits appear to be new).  Maybee this is just temporary, however i'm suprised that they actually used what appears to be 100% identical parts in this case. 

Wheels look buggy (like KSP1 levels of buggy if not worse with how they clipped thru things on the moon or planet you drove em down).  The collider implementation looks identical (single raycast to ground) which is dissapointing given how unrealistic it is to not have the wheels work properly when at any orientation but straight down.

UI looks meh.  Maybee this is just me, but KSP1 despite being simpler feels more natural and less forced on you) and it takes up less space overall).  This may just be a case of being used to KSP1, but if i had to pick right now i'd go with KSP1's UI over dat of KSP2.

While KSC looks beautiful (way nicer then any variation of KK mod, it does seem that alot of the moons are relatively bland (at least in comparison to modded KSP1).

01EEDhh.png

dP9VRpM.png

I'm sorry, but there is not even a remote comparison here between KSP2 and modded KSP1.

114GT1Y.png

IqyYufa.png

I mean it IS a very different asthetic and i believe the lower amount of scatters is an intentional design decision to make it less difficult for newer players (it genuinely is VERY hard to make rovers or even larger bases with parallax 2.0 that work properly and dont need jumpjets or excessive reaction control to move at anything beyond 10m/s).  I'm gonna reserve my final judgement for after the game gets out of early access, but even stock KSP1 doesnt look THAT much worse, and modded KSP1.  And on my rather pathetic computer (CPU just above the min KSP2 spec and a 1050TI GPU), framerates (with Eve+scatterer+waterfall+parallax2+DIRT+TURD) remains perfectly comfortable up to ~1000 parts (ive done over 2K, however it does get painfully bad at this point).

Again, gonna reserve final judgement once its out of early access, but sofar it doesnt look like the EA version is any better then modded KSP1.  My opinion may change is the game ends up being better optimized (and the sky/scatters look amazing), but aside from some later implemented features (like multiplayer) there isnt much KSP2 offers that ive seen sofar that cant be achieved thru at least 1 KSP1 mod...

I mean I love what modders have done but those red crystals are kind of bizarre? Id much rather wait for a more curated experience. 

48 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I mean I love what modders have done but those red crystals are kind of bizarre? Id much rather wait for a more curated experience. 

And that's one the main reason I never tried parallax, it's a technical marvel and an incredible mod, I won't deny it, but the art style is... Debatable.

I'd like to see a bit more scattered stuff around in KSP2, and have them collidable, but surely not Parallax amount of them and without all the weird stuff.

Interesting features? Yes, but surely not as the main baseline object copypasted hundreds of times all over the place (or at least make them the same colour as the ground, to minimize the pop-in and make it less obvious that they're not there from above and on hills on the horizon).

KSP remastered really. KSP with built in (and sometimes re-imagined) mods and a new UI.

Which is good as a starting point. I think I like the UI better - sounds are miles better - it's a good start. 

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

And that's one the main reason I never tried parallax, it's a technical marvel and an incredible mod, I won't deny it, but the art style is... Debatable.

I agree, I tried it and loved when I saw the grass and trees upon landing far from KSC, but very quickly I saw the tiled texturing of duna and the overdone rock scatter and decided to pull it.

8 hours ago, Icky said:

mother of god what are those physics when the rover starts rolling out of control. most of the tire clipping through the ground? and it sort of just barrel rolls in place ON the ground?

Its the fact that the wheels are huge (visually) and implemented using the same simplified KSP1 logic.

There is a single raycast from somewhere near the middle of the wheel that touches the ground (and does the phys calcs), and at any orientation but the way the wheel is meant to be loaded, the wheel doesnt work correctly.  Another major issue i saw was the fact that when the spring is compressed too much the wheel bounces up really hard (this is what causes KSP1 vehicles to occasionallhy go flying when going over debris or rocks with colliders).  Its just sad that KSP2 doesnt seem to have overhauled the wheel logic (which is one of the more agrevating aspects of KSP1 in general, sliding legs, wheels bouncing all over, and general kraken bait.

Ohh and to those who dont like parralax, to each his own, but i personally love it as the mod makes the game feel more like its in an alien universe and not trying to replicate earth (theres RSS fot those so inclined), but i will agree that it doesnt look realistic in the slightest (and yes there are some terrain tiling bugs to an extent (you can disable the terrain changes to it).

Edited by panzer1b

22 hours ago, panzer1b said:

There are a lot of the same types of parts, but they're not 100% identical. Engines, for instance have new plumes, new models, and nearly all of them have been functionally changed at least a little (e.g. vector got its thrust decreased, NERV had its thrust and ISP both buffed, poodle gained a little thrust but lost a little ISP, etc.) The parts that are the same are stuff like fuel tanks, trusses, etc. which would be a waste to redo completely (and even then we get new stuff like LH2 tanks). Nothing is 100% identical that I've seen.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:50 PM, panzer1b said:

What?

Excuse me, but what?

I don't see any identicality here. The parts look completely redone. KSP 2 has dynamic textures and details that weren't there in KSP 1. The medium cockpit (formerly Mk2) flows better and isn't relying on textures that barely changed from their Spaceplanes+ counterpart. Even the parts whose styles were untouched still got redone with higher quality models and dynamic textures, like the Terrier and the aforementioned medium cockpit.

If you see any part you think looks like it was ripped from KSP 1, feel free to screenshot it and show us, because I do not see anything that looks like a KSP 1 model.

16 hours ago, Master39 said:
17 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

The bubbles you find on Eve belong in No Man's Sky... I don't understand why they didn't just stick to the usual formula of rocks everywhere. Yeah, it looks cool in a soft sci-fi space opera, not so much in a game where the primary challenge is wrestling the rocket equation. :/

I'd call it another win for KSP 2.