A Taste of Science

Nate Simpson

5 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Are you making them now? How long ago did you start? I'm afraid to ask how it is with the parts for the colonies ...

So they have showed us pictures of working multiplayer earlier. So yes. They are well away with interstellar parts and colonies. 

Before 3D modeling, texturing, painting, glow effects and how all those materials behave in planetshine, sunshine, moonshine and so on, they will sketch out parts on iPads or paper or napkins or whereever. Talk about them. Brainstorm them. So there are loads more to come, that they most definitely are working on! We are just not allowed to peak behind the curtain yet.

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I don't

But why oh why, why do you find the need to just post this here? This does not give any meaningful content to the forum. 

I would love for you to flesh out your post a bit about why you don't believe and maybe start a (healthy) discussion about it, but please.

Just posting this does not keep the forums a great place.

Edited by Sylvi Fisthaug

5 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I don't

Yeah, its not a good move to claim that "the community" thinks something when its clearly divided. I know the devs don't like my advice, but seriously, in order to build trust, say things you can accomplish, then accomplish them. Don't just say things.

Edited by Meecrob

1 minute ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

So they have showed us pictures of working multiplayer earlier.

Very convincing pictures of the multiplayer, Wow!

2 minutes ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

They are well away with interstellar parts and colonies.

Apparently they forgot about the scientific parts and quite suddenly remembered them, therefore, in the sixth year of development, they are creating models. Apparently testing science somewhere far ahead.

4 minutes ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

So there are loads more to come, that they most definitely are working on! We are just not allowed to peak behind the curtain yet.

On the one hand, you do not know, but on the other, you believe.

1 hour ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

I have seen you in the comments of the dev posts here before, and I am so happy to see you write this, and telling us that you are chaning your mind about the game!! It makes me believe in the it, and the team, even more. Thank you.

I'm not really changing my mind about "the game", I was already onboard for that and interested in seeing how the game develops.

What I am changing my thoughts about are the aesthetic Squad laid out and whether this team is taking it forward. Intercept is taking a departure from kerbals as mere thrill-seeking idiots with zero self-preservation as portrayed by so much media from the Squad days into what they were actually described as back in the day "overly-enthusiastic but technically competent". Now we see this description as artistic representation play out; instead of 55 gallon drums as fuel tanks we get technically competent parts that look like a professional built them. Even if they take outrageous shapes they look competent. This science part implies the overly-enthusiastic nature of kerbals-as-stated through the multitude of instruments crammed into one package, but it also looks like a damn science instrument.

I never trusted Squad to deliver because they didn't seem to have a coherent plan or aesthetic (and the game really shows this), but Intercept have a pretty clear vision from what I can see. Plus, they've given us a roadmap (albeit barebones, but it is a roadmap nonetheless! Someone made a damn plan!)

Edited by regex

4 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Yeah, its not a good move to claim that "the community" thinks something when its clearly divided.

He thanked those who believe in developers. The rest are apparently not a community.

10 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

The fact that the JWST lab posted below you from 2020 has many of the same parts as we see here makes me feel like this asset has been finished for a while. 

I second this. The big parts are probably medium or large assemblies, and this part has a lot of the same instruments, but meant for a probe. This will look beautiful with an Ion engine and the gold heptagonal probe attached, and some solar panels!

1 minute ago, regex said:

I'm not really changing my mind about "the game", I was already onboard for that and interested in seeing how the game develops.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood your earlier comments on the forum, because I might have. But I absolutely agree with your points here. 

A good sequel is something building on what it is based on, and this looks like it will accomplish that. 

[snip]

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I see a magnetometer boom, some kind of radio plasma wave science array, two mystery goo-looking capsules, a camera array and something that could either be a telescope or a mass spectrometer tube. It's like every stock KSP experiment rolled into one convenient package!

I see the magnetometer boom and two goo capsules.  I believe there is a gravity detector, and perhaps a radiation sensor?  Without seeing the backside, I can only speculate on thermometer and/or barometer.

I do like that it is all-in-one, and it looks like it could be either attached to a probe or has its own probe core so you could leave it in orbit as a relay.

Edited by Vanamonde

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm asking a simple, straightforward question so we can try to guess an approximate timeline of when Science might be coming

I guess we'll have better approximation next week, and see how much is patched with new update schedule. My guess Is 2nd or 3rd update excluding the one next week. It probably depends on when they're gonna introduce thermal stuff.

Just now, cocoscacao said:

depends on when they're gonna introduce thermal stuff.

Yeah, that's the big one right there.  Doesn't make much sense to have science stuff if you can't take temperatures.  And you can't take temperatures if re-entry heating and such ain't turned on.  Good point, my man!

I understand correctly, the thermal stuff will not be released in the next patch? Given the fact that the distance between the patches will increase, heating will appear somewhere in the middle of summer, not earlier ...

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Is this in addition to whatever you were building for Science prior to EA?  Or did you scrap whatever was being built and start over?

Well hopefully science mode will het an massive upgrade. besides more parts also more use to it than just science points 

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Is this in addition to whatever you were building for Science prior to EA?  Or did you scrap whatever was being built and start over?

I would like to know too.

It’s the only thing that would explain there’s not much to do in KSP2 after being developed for so long and after so many feature packed videos before EA launch that today are nowhere to be found. 

If that’s the case and most of the game prior to EA has been redone I’d rather we know so we check back in a couple of years, rather than these teasers with carefully curated progress Information.

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

9 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Yeah, that's the big one right there.  Doesn't make much sense to have science stuff if you can't take temperatures.  And you can't take temperatures if re-entry heating and such ain't turned on.  Good point, my man!

If next update introduces some features and not just bug squashing, I am enthustiastically optimistic by playing with the thought that  v0.1.4.0 might include science and reentry heating? Or maybe reentry heating furst and then science in  v0.1.5.0. 

Anyways, I've got a discarded space station that I'm dying to deorbit. Looking at current graphics, I think it's going to be a beautiful spectacle in MAYBE 3-5 fps.

I'd love to have the parts ASAP if Science is going to be months away.  Cool looking parts that animate will be fun on their own and make for cooler looking craft. And I can always imagine Kerbals taking magnetometer and IR measurements.

12 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You could, gameplay wise. That of course depends on how deep the implementation of thermals go:

1. Meaningless number
  2. Accurate reflection of atmospheric circumstances/received infrared radiation
  3. Skin/Core temp (hopefully we get a better system this time).
  4. Parts produce their own heat.
  5. Heat management as a spaceship related mechanic (radiators go here).
  6. Reentry heat, which needs to tie back all the way to 3.

You pretty much can ship a "science" part that measures "temperature" at stage 1, even if we're all thinking "reentry heating" will include all the way to 6.

For reference: Reentry heating was mentioned MARCH 17, after the release of patch 1. Back then they didn't know which update it was coming on, which still seems to be the case, specially since mentions of it have disappeared from the PR speak. Back then they also showed a very crude implementation for testing, and was shown without any contextual clues, meaning that having done work for it and it being "in the game files" was yet another lie. There has also been no mention of how deep the implementation of thermals go. They can totally ship the graphical effects alone, or just a number that blows up a part and nothing else.

This is why their PR feels empty and hard to trust. The only way to put up with it is filling the gaps with your own belief, like you do in any religion. After all, if what you get is not what you wanted, it is your own fault for not managing your expectations.

3 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Back then they also showed a very crude implementation for testing, and was shown without any contextual clues, meaning that having done work for it and it being "in the game files" was yet another lie.

There's literally code for heat in game. Interestingly enough a lot of it is related to colonies. 

1 hour ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

But why oh why, why do you find the need to just post this here? This does not give any meaningful content to the forum. 

I would love for you to flesh out your post a bit about why you don't believe and maybe start a (healthy) discussion about it, but please.

Just posting this does not keep the forums a great place.

If I could like this +1000 I would. I for one am sick to death of the whiners that only want to whine. You nailed it @Sylvi Fisthaug. Non constructive complaining is just that, and it does nothing to make this forum a healthy vibrant place. Personally, I'm having a ton of fun in the game. I'm sorry that some others aren't, but it's a big world and there's room for them in it too. I'd just like to see more constructive feedback and less whining. I may not get that, but it's what I'd like.

8 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

There's literally code for heat in game. Interestingly enough a lot of it is related to colonies. 

Code I hope you obtained and checked legally, and are ready to link as a source.

Edit: I just saw a post from @Dakota flash by and disappear lmao. Not wanting to engage anyone but the praisers I guess.

Edited by PDCWolf

1 hour ago, Spicat said:

Nice, very happy to see news from science.

This science part seems to be on par with the part we saw back in 2020

Hide contents

Qx4bL71.png

cmwsJTU.png

Source :

Reveal hidden contents

You're pretty new here but you do realize that many people, myself included and I HUNTED for anything KSP2 related for the last 3 years, have never seen this? Where'd you pull that from all of a sudden