Missing Titanic tourist sub

Gargamel

32 minutes ago, DDE said:

OceanGate's cofounder wants to send 1,000 people to a floating colony on Venus by 2050, and says we shouldn't stop pushing the limits of innovation

Who's in?

(not me)

15 hours ago, DDE said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/oceangate-cofounder-send-humans-live-venus-atmosphere-2050-titan-sohnlein-2023-7

OceanGate's cofounder wants to send 1,000 people to a floating colony on Venus by 2050, and says we shouldn't stop pushing the limits of innovation

Perhaps we should be reflecting a little before the sequel eh?

Edited by Minmus Taster

12 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Perhaps we should be reflecting a little before sequel eh?

Rember how Cameron got signed up for 4 Avatar sequels right away?

Edited by DDE

22 hours ago, DDE said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/oceangate-cofounder-send-humans-live-venus-atmosphere-2050-titan-sohnlein-2023-7

Sure, I'll just stop by the local gas station, pick up some sushi, then hop in my Ford Pinto and drive over to the launch site. I'll be right there....

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

What' the problem? There is no water on Venus.

This guy would manage to find the sole puddle of water in Atacama, and still suffer a swimming accident.

23 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Perhaps we should be reflecting a little before the sequel eh?

titanic 3: melting flesh. 

"titanic 2: the hull is fi*squish*" kind of bombed at the box office. couldn't get james cameron to direct. 

Edited by Nuke

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile but I figure this is worth sharing, the US Coast Guard has recovered the remaining debris from the titan;

Coast Guard marine safety engineers conduct a survey of the aft titanium endcap from Titan in the North Atlantic Ocean on October 1.

I'm going to discuss the more grim things found in the spoiler section, if your sensitive to what I'm alluding to then you may want to skip it.

Spoiler

They've also recovered more "presumed" remains, probably just more human jam : (

I also hear a company is producing a movie based off the accident, can't remember most of the details but it's a bit early for monetization isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

It's been awhile but I figure this is worth sharing, the US Coast Guard has recovered the remaining debris from the titan;

Coast Guard marine safety engineers conduct a survey of the aft titanium endcap from Titan in the North Atlantic Ocean on October 1.

I'm going to discuss the more grim things found in the spoiler section, if your sensitive to what I'm alluding to then you may want to skip it.

Hide contents

They've also recovered more "presumed" remains, probably just more human jam : (

I also hear a company is producing a movie based off the accident, can't remember most of the details but it's a bit early for monetization isn't it?

Compressing gas heat it so probably. Interestingly liquids are treated as non compressible but at this pressures they are and its increase the destructive force significantly over that military submarines has to handle. 

On 10/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, TwoCalories said:

Has anyone else seen that Real Engineering video on the OceanGate sub?

Yes and he makes perfect sense. Carbon fiber is great for expanding forces. Decent at sideways one like wings but on the compressive side they don't help that much. But wings only have to handle some g. 
You cross that limit and you have to do an serious inspection of the craft. That rules exist from personal planes to F-35 but it much stricter enforced on passenger planes. 

On the other hand military submarines are as removed from the deep diving subs as aircraft's is from spacecrafts. All military subs uses air to control buoyancy, so far down this don't work so you drop ballast. 
Also divers working at 200 meter down for the oil industry said it was much more like an space walk than scuba as you had an control room reading your medicals. 
And the diving bell was designed as an life boat for the divers if ship would sink. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:57 AM, TwoCalories said:

Has anyone else seen that Real Engineering video on the OceanGate sub?

It never fails to amaze me how "innovators" love to grasp at something that works somewhere, and then apply it to qualitatively and quantitatively different conditions as if they cannot into basic math...

On 10/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, DDE said:

It never fails to amaze me how "innovators" love to grasp at something that works somewhere, and then apply it to qualitatively and quantitatively different conditions as if they cannot into basic math...

Yeah, I saw an interview with the guy who designed it, and he basically said that his earlier model worked, so he just scaled it up. It struck me as the same line of thinking as if you knew a Cessna 152 works, you can just scale it up to airliner size without any modifications. What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Meecrob

14 hours ago, Meecrob said:

Yeah, I saw an interview with the guy who designed it, and he basically said that his earlier model worked, so he just scaled it up. It struck me as the same line of thinking as if you knew a Cessna 152 works, you can just scale it up to airliner size without any modifications. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm more thinking about the people who keep promising water from open-air dehumidifiers.

*angry Thundef00t noises*

i remember when my grandma (who lives in phoenix) would use the runoff from her 1950s original equipment swamp cooler to water her lawn. its a literal piece of garbage, once its over 105 outside the inside gets pretty miserable. i hope they enjoyed the record heat this year.  it will help acclimatize them to where they are headed. 

i don't talk to that half of the family anymore so idk if they upgraded to something that meats modern standards. probibly not with how stubborn granny is. 

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.