Landing gear blocked when it is not [also happens with other deployable parts]

Abelinoss

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

I encountered this bug where landing gear can be stuck in "blocked" even when the blockade is cleared.

What I found even more weird, is that at some point it can happen so that, even though the craft is fully symmetrical, one gear may get blocked while its mirrored counterpart is not....

Second video: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/938349432943038475/1148280664769167540/Kerbal_Space_Program_2_2023-09-04_17-32-39.mp4

Included Attachments:

RovyStray.json

Edited by The Space Peacock

24 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Landing gear is registering as "blocked" on the largest lander can even though they are not.
Typical 4R arrangement.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel i9-9750H | GPU: RTX3060 | RAM32GB

Discovered that one of the landing legs on this vessel was unable to retract as it was "blocked", however, it had no problem deploying or retracting in orbit beforehand.

Quick-saving and reloading results in a similar result to the map switching bug reported earlier

Included Attachments:

Spoiler

20231104133507_1.jpg.e0b73bdc9c5892b426119fd755349ae8.jpg

20231104134121_1.jpg.71d5cf2a76b7d8df7dab7529109513dc.jpg

Edited by The Space Peacock

Something that might help diagnose this is putting a cargo bay atop a rocket with a nose cap. Inside the cargo bay, place a vehicle that you can undock from the bottom of the cargo bay, but most importantly on the vehicle you need an extendable communication part. When you undock the vehicle and creep out the cargo bay, you cannot extend the comms part because it’s “blocked” although the vehicle is fully outside the cargo bay. 

Got this one with a ladder unable to deploy after being uncovered (mounting-plate fairing) on my Eve-Lander.

Strangely enough, my Kerbals could still climb both ladders (the blocked and the non-blocked) while not deployed!
I was unable to reproduce it by launching the lander without its rocket. Ladder not blocked, unable to climb into thin air.

I was also unable to reproduce on Eve, because restoring the game crashed the lander (tripod flipped) or simply sank into the ground.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti | RAMDDR4 16GB 3200Mhz

In my own testing, ladders placed on crew capsules sometimes claim to be blocked within the vicinity of a heatshield + additional part. This prevents you from deploying/retracting them. This occurs even when there is no clear cause of the blockage. Attached is a craft file with one such ladder. Removing the heatshield unblocks the ladder. It is not even close to said heatshield.

Included Attachments:

BlockedLadder2.json

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11home | CPU: intel i5 13600K | GPU: Nvidia MSI 3070ti | RAMDDR4 2x16Gb 3600MHZ CL16

it says the solar panel is blocked but there is nothing blocking it on either side. it is partially placed between a battery and a heat shield though but those parts are under it

Additionally to work around this I enabled infinite electricity partway through the mission but it doesn't seem to be working :\

Included Attachments:

Had this while landing on Duna. 3/8 legs deployed, the others were stuck as blocked, which was odd because it included legs in the same symmetry group. Once I had touched down I reloaded and was able to deploy them.

I think I have encountered something like this a few times when accidentally trying to (un)deploy during time warp. Movement doesn't happen and the the part manager status becomes confused about the actual status. Now I'm very careful not to activate anything durin time warp. I should probably focus on reproducing rather than avoiding. :-D

I've encountered this with the lightyear landing gear. In some cases if you clip the gear too far into the structural part or fuel tank, you'll get the warning. In other cases if you move the gear into the wing, you'll get the warning. In all cases, it seems to happen if the animated part of the model or the wheel collider hits another collider, you'll get the warning. Unfortunately it's very hit or miss when you'll get the warning. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. 

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | RAM15.91 GB

Specs:

CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor
CPU Frequency:  3.4 GHz
CPU Physical Cores: 8
CPU Logical Cores: 16
RAM Size: 15.91 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Video Driver: 30.0.15.1165
VRAM Size: 8 GB

Severity: Low; limited to a single craft so far, and can apparently be fixed by closing and restarting the game.

Frequency: Med; it happens a lot on this particular craft, both in flight and when I test it on the launch pad.

Description: On this particular craft, landing legs refuse to toggle open and closed when I activate the action group; the Parts Manager thinks they're "blocked", which they simply are not. Closing and restarting the game seems to resolve the issue but it keeps returning to this vehicle. While it's not super obvious in the screenshot, the landing legs are sticking out from between two larger fuel tanks; there are no struts or anything blocking them. I have been tweaking the design over time so I don't remember in which order everything was added, but I have been removing and re-adding the legs in an attempt to resolve the problem.

Included Attachments:

Laythe-VallLander.json

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win11 | CPU: Intel i5 | GPU: Gtx 1650ti maxq | RAM16

Wallaroo Landing legs get blocked when i put MEM-250 engine mount, but when the engine mount in remove, landing legs is deployed

Included Attachments:

14 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I got this today with the autonomous sampling unit.  I have a craft file, but unsure how to attach to this post.

The way I usually attach logs/zips/craft-files/etc. is by submitting a standalone bug-report, either thinking it is truly unique or by directly citing the URL / title of an existing report and allowing the moderators to merge mine with the existing one, like:

Which I may end up doing here tonight after some testing...

I remember seeing a surface-sample arm on one of my craft saying "Blocked", but I also wasn't (yet) on the surface I was aiming for, so I had ignored it at the time.

14 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I got this today with the autonomous sampling unit.  I have a craft file, but unsure how to attach to this post.

30 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

The way I usually attach logs/zips/craft-files/etc. is by submitting a standalone bug-report,

I've seen this problem with a couple of parts as well.  I spent some time trying to create a scenario that would reproduce the problem consistently, but so far I've been unable to do so.  I see in today's KERB that the dev team is also unable to reproduce this problem.  @Scarecrow71, if you are able to reproduce the error consistently, please describe how to do so in your report.  With that description, perhaps we can get some dev action towards a fix for this one.

5 minutes ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

if you are able to reproduce the error consistently, please describe how to do so in your report

I'll try to do so tonight too... though I'm starting to remember how much work it is to both play KSP2 and be an unofficial member of the QA dept :confused:

22 hours ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

I've seen this problem with a couple of parts as well.  I spent some time trying to create a scenario that would reproduce the problem consistently, but so far I've been unable to do so.  I see in today's KERB that the dev team is also unable to reproduce this problem.  @Scarecrow71, if you are able to reproduce the error consistently, please describe how to do so in your report.  With that description, perhaps we can get some dev action towards a fix for this one.

Good call.  I submitted a new bug report and linked this one in.  Hopefully the craft file I uploaded will help them identify what is happening here.

I intended to do two near-identical craft, one launched within a fairing and the other not, except even the no-fairing test-vehicle wasn't playing nicely, so I gave it a double-length I-beam nose with a variety of sample-arms' positions along it for testing.

Imgur album