The new features and parts in For Science!

Vl3d

On 10/29/2023 at 8:31 PM, The Aziz said:

How much one string is hardcoded so that it can't be quickly swapped when the release is 32-60 days away? I know there's probably a ton of other work waiting to be done, I'm just genuinely curious what it would take.

I can swap out a string in minutes. But all the writing has to be done (and approved) weeks in advance so it can go to the localization teams to be translated into all the other languages we have in the game. That deadline already happened. So any changes, except for really bad text bugs, will have to wait until the first For Science! patch.

• Community Manager
12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I can swap a out string in minutes. But all the writing has to be done (and approved) weeks in advance so it can go to the localization teams to be translated into all the other languages we have in the game. That deadline already happened. So any changes, except for really bad text bugs, will have to wait until the first For Science! patch.

We should probably have you do a dev blog about writing+loc, shouldn't we?

13 hours ago, Master39 said:

As I said for IRSU, I'd move that kind of gameplay loops away from the vehicle design and put them into the bases/station design part of the game.  Instead of a tin can that houses 2 scientist and magically multiplies science, a more more in-depth lab system for bases and orbital stations that also is a part of the base/station own progression system (don't forget that it was mentioned that colonies have their own tiered progression, from bases to colonies, from mining outposts to off-world rocket launching facilities) 

In KSP1, Bases were basically landed ship segments. The addition of a full-on colony system means they can shift things like manufacturing and Research to Moons and Planets, but try to keep them off ships in flight. Their previews of 'Resources' means we'll need multiple bases in multiple places.

It's the rollout at work.  Before  'For Science!' there's only so much interest in building ships without a mission, or a goal. Once Science Mode rolls out, there'll only be so much science we can do from orbit, and there's only so much Colony Building we can do without Colony parts. 

But I won't deny I was hoping to build a science lab in space.

It would be good to have a true rationale for space stations, so I am hoping that science lab can also be built in space. And I think a mining vessel that lands and picks up ore for processing should also be a thing in KSP 2, even if colonies are in.

Preferably the advantage of colonies should be automatization and offworld launchpads. Otherwise, I think everyone should be doable without colonies, just not quite as smoothly.

1 hour ago, MarcAbaddon said:

It would be good to have a true rationale for space stations, so I am hoping that science lab can also be built in space. And I think a mining vessel that lands and picks up ore for processing should also be a thing in KSP 2, even if colonies are in.

Preferably the advantage of colonies should be automatization and offworld launchpads. Otherwise, I think everyone should be doable without colonies, just not quite as smoothly.

Having labs as part of colonies would fit well with a geometric cost/reward progression in the tech tree. This way, colonial labs would effectively unlock interstellar tech by producing the big bump in Science points that would require.

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Can we transfer samples between robotic craft?

In KSP1, with the Experiment Return/Storage Unit...thing...we could move data reports (such as temperature readings and goo observations) around, and we could store the actual data from the surface sample in them as well.  I don't see why we wouldn't be able to do that here as well?

36 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I think a collect-all function does really alleviate the problem which was manually hunting around and manually right clicking everything, especially on ascent and descent. I'd love if we had a hotkey option though?

This will be greatly mitigated with the science manager, all the buttons will be in one place, no need to hunt.

1 minute ago, Periple said:

This will be greatly mitigated with the science manager, all the buttons will be in one place, no need to hunt.

Totally, which is nice. I meant in comparison to KSP1. I usually action grouped them but then you ended up with half a dozen windows you had to dismiss, so I like the consolidation. 

On 10/30/2023 at 4:02 AM, cocoscacao said:

I've been in a (chemical) lab once. Kitchen sink was used by everyone there. Maybe it doesn't have a direct scientific value, but it makes everyday sciencing possible. So why can't we attach kitchen sinks to science collector? This is a yet another proof that development of this game took the wrong turn at every point. Boo dev team, boo!

Sinks dont work without gravity though :P

On 10/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, The Aziz said:

I am completely missing the point. Where's the gameplay when even science collection and transmission is automated?

Getting and holding the condition to collect it

Another thing that we weirdly have not discussed at all are the new 'discoverables' locations and what they might mean for science. Im actually really happy to see some localized surface features with a more sciencey feel, not just because they're less hokey but also because I think there's finally going to be some real structured incentives for orbital scanning, precise landing and/or surface exploration. This was a huge missing piece in KSP1 and by itself could radically augment the kinds of missions players engage in.

Edited by Pthigrivi

8 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Another thing that we weirdly have not discussed at all are the new 'discoverables' locations and what they might mean for science. Im actually really happy to see some localized surface features with a more sciencey feel, not just because they're less hokey but also because I think there's finally going to be some real structured incentives for orbital scanning, precise landing and/or surface exploration. This was a huge missing piece in KSP1 and by itself could radically augment the kinds of missions players engage in.

Oldies but goldies.

It just dawned on me.. if there's unlimited sample storage space on the experiments, does that mean there's no need to reset them, which implies there's no need to have a scientist class kerbal on board?

Or do we need scientist kerbals for the Orbital Science Lab module thing (last part that unlocks)?

@Pthigrivi this and the fact that there is not a progression for SAS functions (which means there's basically no way to differentiate pilots) are strong arguments that kerbal classes are not getting implemented in KSP2. Even looking at the new image of kerbals styles, there's no real indication of classes.

Spoiler

KerbalVariety.thumb.png.750772a2ece86a11

Edited by Vl3d

16 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It just dawned on me.. if there's unlimited sample storage space on the experiments, does that mean there's no need to reset them, which implies there's no need to have a scientist class kerbal on board?

Or do we need scientist kerbals for the Orbital Science Lab module thing (last part that unlocks)?

Just because there is unlimited space for the storage of experiments doesn't mean that those experiments can be done over and over without being reset.  Although, this is just speculation, so...:shrug:?

Edited by Scarecrow71

I think it depends on how many kerbals we end up needing for colonies and what their role and utility is. If you have potentially dozens or hundreds of kerbals across your space program managing all that personnel becomes a real slog. You really want the process for allocating kerbals to different tasks to be really fast and easy. With KSP1s classes Kerbals barely had a function. Pilots could be replaced with probecores and engineers aren’t really needed either because of quicksaves and timewarp. So you really only had one useful class anyway. Id much rather see KSP2 employ kerbals in more direct ways. Some of the most obvious ways would be in boosting science gains and resource collection but those are both rate-based benefits. Its one of several reasons I hope they reconsider life support because its a really useful and scalable check that ties directly into the core engineering puzzle of the game. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.