Bug Status [11/9]

• KSP Team

image.png

Heya Kerbonauts and welcome back to the K.E.R.B!

After the doozy of the last K.E.R.B. update, we have somewhat of a shorter post today. v0.1.5 has been out for two weeks and we've seen so much more engagement with the K.E.R.B. this update than ever before. As always, thank you so much for reporting and upvoting bugs - it truly helps the future development of KSP2 :purpleheart:

Last week we shared a major change to the K.E.R.B.: removing entries that require fundamental feature overhauls. You can read more about the justification for that change in the last update, but one of the things we did commit to was to provide insight on the issues that we remove from the list when we have notable updates. Thus:

Wobbly Rockets: Improvements have been fully implemented (see the video in the last update) and are ready to ship for For Science!

Calculating Physics of all parts of all Crafts: Improvements are fully implemented and are ready to ship for For Science!

Surface Rendering Fragment Shaders are Inefficient: We believe this requires some reevaluation by fans post v0.1.5 as we implemented mesh bucketing for terrain which should have significantly impacted the original issues.

Camera Resets Position Map View: Has been "upgraded" to this list as it and many other camera issues are planned to be addressed in future camera systems work, scheduled for post-For Science!

And now to the list:

Current Top Issues: 

# Bug Status
1 No trajectory lines in map view Unable to repeatedly reproduce, need more information
2 Phantom forces when deploying landing legs/gear Reproducible
3 Rovers are Hitting a Physics Glitch Every 1000m from the Location of Rover Being Loaded into the Game With Disastrous Results Reproducible
4 Black visual artefacts when passing through cloud layer (AMD) Fixed, needs verification
5 Moving a radially attached part with a strut on it, break the game Two separate issues, one with struts, one with symmetry. Investigating
6 Surface Collision not even with Terrain Mesh Reproducible, working on fix
7 On Undocking in Low Orbit, Landing Legs are Causing Massive Force to be Applied in a Retrograde Direction Even When Retracted Reproducible
8 Extended Landing Legs are Causing a Massive Kick in the Retrograde Direction when in Low Orbit After Disengaging Time Warp Reproducible
9 If a craft with landing legs is saved in low orbit, when reloaded the craft will experience massive force in the retrograde direction Reproducible
10 Engine Plate Fairing Respawns after load or switching vessels Fix in progress
11 Timewarp under Acceleration stops Engaging Properly after a certain amount of years have passed Fixed and verified
12 Acceleration During Time Warp Doesn’t Work at Times Fixed and verified
13 Struts: ctrl+z in the VAB renders struts/fuel lines invisible, visual bug Reproducible
14 Inconsistent Framerate During Launch Need more post-v0.1.5 information
15 Elliptical Solar Orbits Cause Timewarp Under Acceleration to Stop Producing Thrust Fixed, needs verification
16 SAS does not hold orientation during time warp Reproducible
17 Control Surface Oscillation in Atmosphere Reproducible

Landing gear blocked when it is not [also happens with other deployable parts]

Cannot reproduce, need more information
19 Almost all of the Navball stuff disappears Investigating, might be caused by old saves
20 Cannot create/edit a maneuver node when game is paused Known issue, investigating solutions for this and other pause-related issues

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community. Additionally, the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

Lastly, we've opened up a K.E.R.B. feedback mega-thread so if you have any suggestions, please let us know. We're planning for some pretty significant changes to the K.E.R.B. post-For Science! and, as this is a collaborative effort between the community and the dev team, we want to make sure you all have a voice in the way we approach bug reports moving forward. Appreciate it!

KSP Team

I've only had my orbital lines disappear on me once, and it was after I loaded a quicksave. Reloading didn't help, but after I had restarted my game the issue was entirely gone, so if there are any values being set when the game is launched, or being set when the game is closed?, it may have something to do with that? Otherwise, I don't know.

I’m a little bummed that docking physics is STILL not on the list of things needed to be fixed..  : ( especially since this has been an issue since launch.. about 8 months or so ago.   I have reported this issue as a bug here on the forums before. I’ve seen others talk about it on discord. I’ve seen Matt Lowe himself mention it a couple times now on his videos on YouTube. .  So I’m confused as to why this isn’t being worked on.  This is a major issue that’s preventing me, and likely many others from enjoying the game.  

Can a dev please reply to this so I know that it’s at least known and if there will be any sort of fix for this soon?  I really want to enjoy this game but the docking and undocking is very unstable and has been since the beginning of this games early access launch.  Just this morning I was trying to do a mun mission and when I undocked my Lander from my other vessel it blasted it away, up at an angle. Rather than a smooth disconnect and slowly moving away as it should.   

And recently I was not even able to dock with my other vessel at all. It would just bounce right off the other vessel and would not dock at all.  The dock part was previously connected to a decouple, which apparently breaks the docking physics once that’s disconnected.  

• Community Manager
24 minutes ago, HammerTyme said:

I’m a little bummed that docking physics is STILL not on the list of things needed to be fixed..  : ( especially since this has been an issue since launch.. about 8 months or so ago.   I have reported this issue as a bug here on the forums before. I’ve seen others talk about it on discord. I’ve seen Matt Lowe himself mention it a couple times now on his videos on YouTube. .  So I’m confused as to why this isn’t being worked on.  This is a major issue that’s preventing me, and likely many others from enjoying the game.  

Can a dev please reply to this so I know that it’s at least known and if there will be any sort of fix for this soon?  I really want to enjoy this game but the docking and undocking is very unstable and has been since the beginning of this games early access launch.  Just this morning I was trying to do a mun mission and when I undocked my Lander from my other vessel it blasted it away, up at an angle. Rather than a smooth disconnect and slowly moving away as it should.   

And recently I was not even able to dock with my other vessel at all. It would just bounce right off the other vessel and would not dock at all.  The dock part was previously connected to a decouple, which apparently breaks the docking physics once that’s disconnected.  

As the disclaimer on the bottom of the post says, the K.E.R.B. does not represent our internal priority list. We see the reports about docking issues and we're working on it.

If you want docking issues on the list, go upvote the existing bug reports!

May I ask if there has been any progress on wings deforming upon save and load?

This is probably one of my biggest hangups at the moment, being able to use a craft long term without it getting krakened and the feeling of history that comes with doing so is important to me.

In general I'm glad to see that progress being made.

Looks like Anth has been killing it! Very full report keep up the good work!

Looks like this just missed the KERB list when it comes to upvotes.  I assume the team knows about it but just wanted to try and get it some more upvotes.  Will be needed in the For Science! update.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, TFA3393 said:

Looks like Anth has been killing it! Very full report keep up the good work!

Looks like this just missed the KERB list when it comes to upvotes.  I assume the team knows about it but just wanted to try and get it some more upvotes.  Will be needed in the For Science! update.

This is fixed, and I believe still needs to be verified

7 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

image.png

Heya Kerbonauts and welcome back to the K.E.R.B!

After the doozy of the last K.E.R.B. update, we have somewhat of a shorter post today. v0.1.5 has been out for two weeks and we've seen so much more engagement with the K.E.R.B. this update than ever before. As always, thank you so much for reporting and upvoting bugs - it truly helps the future development of KSP2 :purpleheart:

Last week we shared a major change to the K.E.R.B.: removing entries that require fundamental feature overhauls. You can read more about the justification for that change in the last update, but one of the things we did commit to was to provide insight on the issues that we remove from the list when we have notable updates. Thus:

Wobbly Rockets: Improvements have been fully implemented (see the video in the last update) and are ready to ship for For Science!

Calculating Physics of all parts of all Crafts: Improvements are fully implemented and are ready to ship for For Science!

Surface Rendering Fragment Shaders are Inefficient: We believe this requires some reevaluation by fans post v0.1.5 as we implemented mesh bucketing for terrain which should have significantly impacted the original issues.

Camera Resets Position Map View: Has been "upgraded" to this list as it and many other camera issues are planned to be addressed in future camera systems work, scheduled for post-For Science!

And now to the list:

Current Top Issues: 

# Bug Status
1 No trajectory lines in map view Unable to repeatedly reproduce, need more information
2 Phantom forces when deploying landing legs/gear Reproducible
3 Rovers are Hitting a Physics Glitch Every 1000m from the Location of Rover Being Loaded into the Game With Disastrous Results Reproducible
4 Black visual artefacts when passing through cloud layer (AMD) Fixed, needs verification
5 Moving a radially attached part with a strut on it, break the game Two separate issues, one with struts, one with symmetry. Investigating
6 Surface Collision not even with Terrain Mesh Reproducible, working on fix
7 On Undocking in Low Orbit, Landing Legs are Causing Massive Force to be Applied in a Retrograde Direction Even When Retracted Reproducible
8 Extended Landing Legs are Causing a Massive Kick in the Retrograde Direction when in Low Orbit After Disengaging Time Warp Reproducible
9 If a craft with landing legs is saved in low orbit, when reloaded the craft will experience massive force in the retrograde direction Reproducible
10 Engine Plate Fairing Respawns after load or switching vessels Fix in progress
11 Timewarp under Acceleration stops Engaging Properly after a certain amount of years have passed Fixed and verified
12 Acceleration During Time Warp Doesn’t Work at Times Fixed and verified
13 Struts: ctrl+z in the VAB renders struts/fuel lines invisible, visual bug Reproducible
14 Inconsistent Framerate During Launch Need more post-v0.1.5 information
15 Elliptical Solar Orbits Cause Timewarp Under Acceleration to Stop Producing Thrust Fixed, needs verification
16 SAS does not hold orientation during time warp Reproducible
17 Control Surface Oscillation in Atmosphere Reproducible

Landing gear blocked when it is not [also happens with other deployable parts]

Cannot reproduce, need more information
19 Almost all of the Navball stuff disappears Investigating, might be caused by old saves
20 Cannot create/edit a maneuver node when game is paused Known issue, investigating solutions for this and other pause-related issues

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community. Additionally, the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

Lastly, we've opened up a K.E.R.B. feedback mega-thread so if you have any suggestions, please let us know. We're planning for some pretty significant changes to the K.E.R.B. post-For Science! and, as this is a collaborative effort between the community and the dev team, we want to make sure you all have a voice in the way we approach bug reports moving forward. Appreciate it!

KSP Team

Thanks for the update!

Question about process: I know the "floor hugger" regression we discovered does not have as many votes (yet?) as some of the other bugs listed here, but is it still treated with higher priority internally since it is a regression (at least the effect of the bug, maybe not the source of it)? @The Space Peacock said in a comment that there has already been internal analysis, so that's a relief!

Just trying to find out if we can expect this to be fixed in 0.2.0 at the latest.

7 hours ago, Dakota said:

Going to call out the three issues that are asking for information. If you've experienced these issues in v0.1.5, please let us know!

I can make #1 happen with a specific vehicle all the time and have attached save game, logs, workspace etc here:

9 hours ago, Dakota said:

Going to call out the three issues that are asking for information. If you've experienced these issues in v0.1.5, please let us know!

Yiisssss.

I'd be glad to help but I'm currently busy (playing other games)

As soon as I'm back to it, I'll check because some of them definitely happened to me before.

12 hours ago, Hoovy said:

I've only had my orbital lines disappear on me once, and it was after I loaded a quicksave. Reloading didn't help, but after I had restarted my game the issue was entirely gone, so if there are any values being set when the game is launched, or being set when the game is closed?, it may have something to do with that? Otherwise, I don't know.

As far as I know, the trajectorys vanish sometimes after undocking specific parts. I experienced this after undocking my launch engine (w fuel tank) tho i do not recall which one it was. Restarting didnt fix it for me, I had to go to the save file manually and change the state of my vessel from 'ground' to 'flying'. Maybe there is a problem in the detection system of the flight state after decoupling stages?

I know for #16 that it isn't just in time warp that SAS doesn't hold orientation; it happens whether or not you are in time warp.  SAS does not hold a correct orientation at all (at least for me), and RCS/Reaction Wheels aren't helping.  @Dakota, can you clarify if this item takes all that into consideration, or is this only for the issue under time warp?

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I know for #16 that it isn't just in time warp that SAS doesn't hold orientation; it happens whether or not you are in time warp.  SAS does not hold a correct orientation at all (at least for me), and RCS/Reaction Wheels aren't helping.  @Dakota, can you clarify if this item takes all that into consideration, or is this only for the issue under time warp?

Yes, this specific bug is only while timewarping.

But on this subject, I was testing one of your save file (not related to this bug initially) and the SAS was effectively going everywhere.

I saw that infinite EC was on and after disabling that, the SAS worked perfectly (not for long as there weren't any EC generation devices).

Next time you play, can you disable it and get back to me if you still have the bug? (And in that case, report the bug again because your original bug report is old, and doesn't have a save file)

Note: Infinite EC setting is linked to the save file

Edited by Spicat

1 hour ago, Spicat said:

Yes, this specific bug is only while timewarping.

But on this subject, I was testing one of your save file (not related to this bug initially) and the SAS was effectively going everywhere.

I saw that infinite EC was on and after disabling that, the SAS worked perfectly (not for long as there weren't any EC generation devices).

Next time you play, can you disable it and get back to me if you still have the bug? (And in that case, report the bug again because your original bug report is old, and doesn't have a save file)

Note: Infinite EC setting is linked to the save file

I'll have to test that the next time I fire KSP2 up (probably this weekend).  It would still be a bug if it happens with unlimited EC, but give me a day or so to check and see what happens when UEC is turned off.  I'll let you know!

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'll have to test that the next time I fire KSP2 up (probably this weekend).  It would still be a bug if it happens with unlimited EC, but give me a day or so to check and see what happens when UEC is turned off.  I'll let you know!

Yep, I will probably report this bug this weekend when I find the time. This is definitely a weird one.

Edited by Spicat