Can't create a maneuver node within another SOI

Emmdh3

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: I5-12600kf | GPU: Rtx3070 | RAM16bg ddr4

Can’t set a maneuver node when outside of sphere of influence of where I want to set the maneuver node. Just look at the picture. First image shows how I had to make the maneuver node and the second shows that I can’t see the yellow bubble when I hover over the trajectory line. 

Included Attachments:

IMG_5760.jpeg.e999e2ada224b1e6aad7f0634c

IMG_5761.jpeg.a0a1c0cba292a60cba871230fb

21 answers to this question

On 12/19/2023 at 10:37 PM, PicoSpace said:

Ditto, you CAN set the manuveour node on the main line though, that's the only way currently and its messy.

It is practically unusable that way since the camera can't be freely moved, making it near impossible to place and move the node small amounts on that line.

Edited by MechBFP

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

It is practically unusable that way since the camera can't be freely moved, making it near impossible to place and move the node small amounts on that line.

I agree but it’s the current work around that exists, the dev team is going to have a very busy 2024 fixing all the bugs & UI/UX issues that have popped up now that people can do more than launch rockets hopefully to orbit.

Not only this but when I click time warp to SOI change the game time warps but fails to stop when it gets to the mun. 
It means it speeds up time warp and then flashes past before I realise it’s not stopping. 
So not only am I unable to set a manoeuvre mode in different SOI, I have to baby the time warp as well. 

11 minutes ago, PicoSpace said:

I agree but it’s the current work around that exists, the dev team is going to have a very busy 2024 fixing all the bugs & UI/UX issues that have popped up now that people can do more than launch rockets hopefully to orbit.

Alternatively save the game, warp to the SOI and then place the node and see what it does, and then either continue or reload.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

I looked for a similar report to add to - having been told this is a 'known issue'.  Apologies but I could not find it.

Two issues

1.  player cannot select the orbital path in the [Body] Focus view.  It's evident to the player, and we can illuminate and pin the pe marker - but not interact with the line or place a node in that view.  IIRC we usedtacould in a previous build.  Would love to see that capability return.
  2. attempting to place a node at the pe marker on the craft's orbit lines, or the crossing line at the intercept in space will not allow the player to create a MN that will circularize.

Please see this thread for details:

rODdrio.jpg

Included Attachments:

MinIntercept2.json

Weirdly, I've noticed that you actually can set a maneuver node if you enter an SOI within the first SOI. So if you chart a course directly to Laythe (From interplanetary space), you will be unable to create any maneuver nodes around Jool, but you will be able to create maneuver nodes around Laythe.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:37 PM, PicoSpace said:

Ditto, you CAN set the manuveour node on the main line though, that's the only way currently and its messy.

It is especially messy since Prograde/Retrograde/etc. are "misaligned"... Pulling on Retrograde on a next-SOI-manoeuvre does not (at least, not usually) result in a circularization burn being planned out as the 'retrograde direction' according to the node is the same direction as if you were burning retrograde in your current SOI, except it is happening in the next one.

This is particularly painful when dealing with a low TWR ionic probe and you're trying to determine if your encounter will provide enough time to circularize before escaping that SOI.

If this is "expected behaviour", then I would hope for either an in-game GUI-toggle (kind of like in VAB, rotate/translate part locally vs globally) or a Settings-menu selector to go between 'KSP2 behaviour' and 'classic KSP1 behaviour', thanks.

I saw this was flagged as working as intended. I don't quite understand that decision. As of right now you need to always time warp to just outside the SOI and manually TW to get into the SOI to then plan a retrograde burn. You can't even select the line to time warp to inside the SOI

This creates a real moment of irritation every time it needs done. 

4 hours ago, Navoan said:

I saw this was flagged as working as intended. I don't quite understand that decision. As of right now you need to always time warp to just outside the SOI and manually TW to get into the SOI to then plan a retrograde burn. You can't even select the line to time warp to inside the SOI

This creates a real moment of irritation every time it needs done. 

That’s half-right… you cannot select your trajectory in the new SOI while focused on the new body (that “detached” trajectory line) but if you look at the larger map, where you see Entering SOI > Pe > Exiting SOI markers, you can plant a manoeuvre along that trajectory, but it’s awkward (and unintuitive) to use, IMHO

This makes planning fun Jool missions impractical.  Swinging past Tylo with a minimal burn, to capture at Lathe (or even aerobrake at Lathe) is one of the wonderful moments of mastery of the game mechanics in KSP1, but takes a lot of maneuver node tweaking when still far from Jool. 

Heck, on the other end of the scale, when going to Gilly the first time being able to easily plan a maneuver at Eve Pe to check the dV needed to capture at Gilly is important for a new player to build the confidence to go interplanetary!

17 hours ago, Skorj said:

This makes planning fun Jool missions impractical.  Swinging past Tylo with a minimal burn, to capture at Lathe (or even aerobrake at Lathe) is one of the wonderful moments of mastery of the game mechanics in KSP1, but takes a lot of maneuver node tweaking when still far from Jool. 

Heck, on the other end of the scale, when going to Gilly the first time being able to easily plan a maneuver at Eve Pe to check the dV needed to capture at Gilly is important for a new player to build the confidence to go interplanetary!

This, now you get the relative velocity at encounter before the intercept, this shows you how much you have to brake. 
Now for entering into low Eve orbit this is different because the high gravity. I likely under-build my Eve lander transfer stage so I sent an tanker, its the only way to be sure :) 

It would be great to be able to set a maneuver node inside a different SOI than what you happen to be in. If you can do it on the main line, why not on the line that's in the sphere of influence. It might not be so bad when fine tuning of maneuver nodes comes, but my feedback is that it currently feels like I'm fighting against game design rather than an intended challenge.