What were we even supposed to get by 2020?

MARL_Mk1

"Lithobraking near you  in 2020", guessing everyone remembers.

Were they originally planning a re-skin of KSP1 somehow? Was this ever discussed and I'm just forgetting?

I just felt the urge to watch the original cinematic trailer, and I can't believe that was literally 5 years ago.

5 years ago.  God this is depressing...

Edit: Hell, this is even more depressing

Edited by MARL_Mk1

Lemme put it this way:

This is the Mun:

6BP0Ce9.png

This is Vall:

ss_7f7fad7e387f9267d48640edd0dd71cbb2582

This is Eeloo:

5I2UfMa.png

It would probably look like that. Plus colony parts plus new planets.

But I assume they quickly realized that what they want to achieve is impossible in such a short timeframe. It was a mistake to put a date on the very first announcement trailer.

3 years of development for making the whole thing with what? ~20 people? Yeah, I don’t know which management was this but they were definitely delusional.

They quickly realized how much more complex a ksp game was compared to your average shooter game.

4 minutes ago, Spicat said:

3 years of development for making the whole thing with what? ~20 people? Yeah, I don’t know which management was this but they were definitely delusional.

"If a dozen of people in Squad built a game from scratch to 1.0 in 4 years, we can do twice that if we double the team"

On 4/16/2024 at 11:33 AM, The Aziz said:

"If a dozen of people in Squad built a game from scratch to 1.0 in 4 years, we can do twice that if we double the team"

This framing reminds me of the following math question I got wrong in a class years ago:

An orchestra of 30 musicians can play a certain symphony in 60 minutes. How long will it take an orchestra of 60 musicians to play that same piece?

38 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

This framing reminds me of the following math question I got wrong in a class years ago:

An orchestra of 30 musicians can play a certain symphony in 60 minutes. How long will it take an orchestra of 60 musicians to play that same piece?

If only it were the same symphony.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:09 AM, MARL_Mk1 said:

"Lithobraking near you  in 2020", guessing everyone remembers.

Were they originally planning a re-skin of KSP1 somehow? Was this ever discussed and I'm just forgetting?

I just felt the urge to watch the original cinematic trailer, and I can't believe that was literally 5 years ago.

5 years ago.  God this is depressing...

The keen eyed quickly realized and tried to warn people that what they were showing were barely asset mounts, editor scenes, and pre-rendered stuff, and the stuff that wasn't was noticeably bad in performance, in a trailer. Warnings weren't heeded. That type of uninformed hype is also why people held a lot of hope that the next 4 delays would make the product nothing but better, and it's not like that wasn't exactly what the statements said again and again.

Of course, all that hot air made release a thunderous failure.

On 4/16/2024 at 1:26 PM, Spicat said:

I don’t know which management

Star Theory's management is what survived the metamorphosis into Intercept Games, it's the same people behind this project. So has PD's management remained the same, and much more T2 (even though after thousands fired and 8 quarters of net loss that might change).

42 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

And 12 women can make 1 baby in 1 month ;)

11 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Star Theory's management is what survived the metamorphosis into Intercept Games, it's the same people behind this project. So has PD's management remained the same, and much more T2 (even though after thousands fired and 8 quarters of net loss that might change).

Not exactly, considering the CTO and CEO didn't make the transition, I think the management quite changed. (Also not talking about the massive difference on the engineer management that changed)

22 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

If only it were the same symphony.

Well in that case, the symphony is even longer than the original. Could've called it the director's (conductor's?) cut as it has bits and pieces unseen in the original symphony.

59 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Well in that case, the symphony is even longer than the original. Could've called it the director's (conductor's?) cut as it has bits and pieces unseen in the original symphony.

The Snyder Symphony?

3 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

The keen eyed quickly realized and tried to warn people that what they were showing were barely asset mounts, editor scenes, and pre-rendered stuff, and the stuff that wasn't was noticeably bad in performance, in a trailer.

Yeah. Alas, games don't tend to run well before they enter the optimisation stage.

3 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

That type of uninformed hype is also why people held a lot of hope that the next 4 delays would make the product nothing but better, and it's not like that wasn't exactly what the statements said again and again.

Of course, all that hot air made release a thunderous failure.

But you are talking about it :)

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yeah. Alas, games don't tend to run well before they enter the optimisation stage.

At least you have something to do in them until that happens, and they're not so broken that a 4090 and a 12th gen i7 like the pcs at the media event chug when trying to run them.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

But you are talking about it :)

Me, and maybe 100 more people, and we're really stubborn about the game, so really our input is a drop in an ocean of... not caring about the game, or having walked away already.

Edited by PDCWolf

On 4/21/2024 at 6:38 PM, PDCWolf said:

At least you have something to do in them until that happens, and they're not so broken that a 4090 and a 12th gen i7 like the pcs at the media event chug when trying to run them.

Me, and maybe 100 more people, and we're really stubborn about the game, so really our input is a drop in an ocean of... not caring about the game, or having walked away already.

The halls are quite empty