T2 interactive layoffs

Hi all. 

As you may have seen T2 interactive are going to layoff 5% of their staff which includes those from private division and will stop development of some projects. Does anyone know if this will affect the development of KSP2? 
thanks. 

Edited by Majorjim!

30 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Hi all. 

As you may have seen T2 interactive are going to layoff 5% of their staff which includes those from private division and will stop development of some projects. Does anyone know if this will affect the development of KSP2? 
thanks. 

Nobody but T2 knows. Wouldn't surprise me at all if KSP2 got the axe.

In february they said "No Current Layoff Plans"        yeah sure, like always...

Will see, i hope that KSP 2 will not be too affected, but that a possibility for sure. Anyway I hope it’s not related to the current communication breakdown. No need to cause panic, and wait for news from the Dev team, for the moment they probably don’t know themselves. (Dev's :Please let know the community as soon as possible about the current status of the game, most of us really feel bad, alone in the dark waiting for the Kraken)

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

which includes those from private division

I’ve read 4-5 articles from the last 12 hours and not one of them mentioned layoffs specific to PD

I think you are assuming, or confusing the new announcement with the layoffs that happened in 2023. 

furthermore, the project cancelations seem to be concentrated on unannounced games.

Edited by Icegrx

• Community Lead

Development of KSP2 is full speed ahead. 

I can't speak to any of the reported news, but the team here is working hard on the next update as well as colonies. 

Just now, Nerdy_Mike said:

team here is working hard on the next update as well as colonies

Yay!

That also seems to me like the first solid confirmation of “there will be a patch/update before colonies”, rather than “bugs will be fixed before colonies” (which could be interpreted a couple of ways) :grin:

59 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

Yay!

That also seems to me like the first solid confirmation of “there will be a patch/update before colonies”, rather than “bugs will be fixed before colonies” (which could be interpreted a couple of ways) :grin:

Semantics aside, those are the same things.  A patch includes bug fixes.

14 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Semantics aside, those are the same things.  A patch includes bug fixes.

My concern before that comment from Mike was that "we will be fixing bugs between now and colonies but you won't get those fixes until colonies rolls out" could have been a valid interpretation for "fixing bugs before colonies"... that's all.

1 hour ago, Flush Foot said:

Yay!

And I was happy / positive above...

2 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

Yay!

To clarify, 

Yes, there will be a 0.2.2.0 update and we are currently working on it. 

6 hours ago, Nerdy_Mike said:

I can't speak to any of the reported news, but the team here is working hard on the next update as well as colonies. 

Putting on my skeptic hat here, but given that this message is not a confirmation that project cancellations and/of layoffs did not impact KSP2, could it be possible that this news impacts overall development after 0.3? Could we see the project be cancelled midway through EA?

I'll counter my own point by acknowledging that yesterday Mike also said, "The roadmap will be followed and fulfilled." Sure, this was just hours before the T2 Layoff news hit, so anything could change at any point, but speculating doomsday scenarios is much more entertaining when you have no leaks or content to look forward to!

I've definitely heard stories of dev teams finding out they've been fired via news article, I certainly hope that's not going to happen here but in this industry anything bad is possible.

6 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

Yay!

I've no clue where I got the idea, but I "knew" already that there would be at least one update before Colonies. I want to say Nate said it somewhere. Maybe in that interview he did?

26 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I've no clue where I got the idea, but I "knew" already that there would be at least one update before Colonies. I want to say Nate said it somewhere. Maybe in that interview he did?

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Ask on discord or something, you're not gonna get an answer here anytime soon.

531suo.jpg?a475584

Ok but is 0.2.2 more like in a month or 3 months
I can't play without muh docking ports working and vessels yeeting themselves out of the trajectory on load.

6 hours ago, RileyHef said:

Putting on my skeptic hat here, but given that this message is not a confirmation that project cancellations and/of layoffs did not impact KSP2, could it be possible that this news impacts overall development after 0.3? Could we see the project be cancelled midway through EA?

Did you stop to think how silly that would be? The game is at what is likely the inflection point of the development cycle where it can start to turn the investment into profit. Cancelling would not only burn a huge amount of investment effort already committed, but also likely sink the value of the IP for the foreseeable future all while the game still has substantial financial value if it can get through to 1.0. Things would have to be very, very bad to come to that. FS! showed that they can still do it. There's still millions on the table in future sales if they finish it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 4:41 PM, Nerdy_Mike said:

https://esd.wa.gov/about-employees/WARN

• The WARN notice states that Take Two interactive is starting to layoff 70 workers in Seattle, beginning of 2024-06-28.
  • Intercept Games is based in Seattle and owned by Private Division, a Take Two Interactive Label for funding smaller games.
  • Take two does not appear to have other offices than Intercept Games in Seattle
  • The size of Intercept Games is listed as 61 or 60 members here or here
  • Several members of the IG team have made public, that they are being laid off or are open for jobs.
  • The career site of Intercept games no longer has working job openings
  • Apart from KSP2, Intercept Games is only working a second title, with a unspecified number of people on it.
  • According to steam charts, KSP1 Player base is currently at 1.925 players, 1925 for a 24hr peak and 19.149 for an all-time high
  • According to steam charts, KSP2 Player base is currently at 430 players, 486 for a 24hr peak and 25.724 for an all-time high

Conclusion:

KSP2 currently has a quarter of the player base right now compared with KSP1. The peak player count of KSP2 was immediately after release and dropped sharp quickly, with a moderate rise on December 18th, 2023.

Take Two Interactive does not appear to have any studios or offices besides Intercept Games in Seattle (correct me if I'm wrong here).
It appears that the 70 person layoff of Take Two in Seattle relates to Intercept Games.
Statements from IG Members, like Nerdy_Mike and Nestor do not contradict a total closure of Intercept Games in 60 days. The statements only reaffirm that work is done on the next update and colonies. No statement was made that the colony update will actually be released. Only that there will be a 0.2.2.0 update.

There is a real possibility, that work at Intercept games will continue for the next 60 days with the remaining developers, a patch 0.2.2.0 will be released and then the plug is either pulled from KSP2 or development capacities will be significantly reduced.

Based on news from today, it seems not likely that the layoffs as per the WARN note will not affect KSP2 development.

If you have other info, either supporting or contradicting my statements, please do share! Providing sources is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Mephisto.de-

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mephisto81 said:

https://esd.wa.gov/about-employees/WARN

• The WARN notice states that Take Two interactive is starting to layoff 70 workers in Seattle, beginning of 2024-06-28.
  • Intercept Games is based in Seattle and owned by Private Division, a Take Two Interactive Label for funding smaller games.
  • Take two does not appear to have other offices than Intercept Games in Seattle
  • The size of Intercept Games is listed as 61 or 60 members here or here
  • Several members of the IG team have made public, that they are being laid off or are open for jobs.
  • The career site of Intercept games no longer has working job openings
  • Apart from KSP2, Intercept Games is only working a second title, with a unspecified number of people on it.
  • According to steam charts, KSP1 Player base is currently at 1.925 players, 1925 for a 24hr peak and 19.149 for an all-time high
  • According to steam charts, KSP2 Player base is currently at 430 players, 486 for a 24hr peak and 25.724 for an all-time high

Conclusion:

KSP2 currently has a quarter of the player base right now compared with KSP1. The peak player count of KSP2 was immediately after release and dropped sharp quickly, with a moderate rise on December 18th, 2023.

Take Two Interactive does not appear to have any studios or offices besides Intercept Games in Seattle (correct me if I'm wrong here).
It appears that the 70 person layoff of Take Two in Seattle relates to Intercept Games.
Statements from IG Members, like Nerdy_Mike and Nestor do not contradict a total closure of Intercept Games in 60 days. The statements only reaffirm that work is done on the next update and colonies. No statement was made that the colony update will actually be released. Only that there will be a 0.2.2.0 update.

There is a real possibility, that work at Intercept games will continue for the next 60 days with the remaining developers, a patch 0.2.2.0 will be released and then the plug is either pulled from KSP2 or development capacities will be significantly reduced.

Based on news from today, it seems not likely that the layoffs as per the WARN note will not affect KSP2 development.

If you have other info, either supporting or contradicting my statements, please do share! Providing sources is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Mephisto.de-

[snip]I hope I’m/your wrong but this doesn’t look good at all. 

Edited by Vanamonde

9 minutes ago, Mephisto81 said:

oGVl2Ip.jpeg

Promotional materials (camera-screenshot of EA Release Trailer) said ‘more features’ would be coming during EA, and since this wasn’t an indie studio that regrettably went under, shouldn’t such a pledge have been “trustworthy/enforceable”?

5 minutes ago, Xindar said:

Jason Schreier just published an article on Bloomberg "confirming" that Intercept Games is one of the studios that take-two is closing down. Source - Bloomberg Article

Still just going off the same info as us:

<...> according to a notice filed with the Washington State Employment Security Department Monday. The notice revealed that Take-Two plans to close an office in Seattle and cut 70 jobs, or roughly the number of people who worked for Intercept Games.