Some Improvements on the Way

14 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

It was worth it TO ME when I paid for it though, which was after For Science! came out.

Same here. I have a metric for entertainment that's based on the cost of a movie (a cheap movie) - $5 an hour. I need to be able to get at least $5 an hour worth for my money. I buy a LOT of games, and many are EA, so for me it's important to know if I should be upset that I "wasted my money". I paid $50 for KSP, I've played 13 hours. That's about $4 an hour. So for me, I didn't waste my money. Am I disappointed? Sure, but I'm not really upset.

Is it a bargain? Of course not. I paid $15 for KSP1, and then another $20 for the Steam version, and then paid for both DLCs since I could only get them free on my original copy and I wanted to support Squad. Then I bought it on XBox and also on PS. Altogether I probably spent $100 for all that. I've played KSP for 750 hours on Steam and roughly 3,000 hours total on all platforms / versions. By far I got more for my money on KSP1 than any other game I've ever played. I knew going in that KSP2 was unlikely to hook me as hard - but still, I was expecting things to get a bit further by now than they did. None of this is a surprise to me, though.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, PDCWolf said:

Which sounds nothing like what they did back to Star Theory. Remember, if it was that, we already know what it looks like.

The fact they got offered re-hiring was communicated instantly, and so was that another studio was to continue the game's development. They also got a message warning of this with a lot of time, they were not gagged and were able to talk right then and there.

It's a totally different news that we got now, they did not communicate anything similar. "We're firing people and closing projects."

I think @PDCWolf has a good point here.  However, I think we don't know enough about what happened back then to draw too much from the differences to really say what's happening now.  Except that I don't think it's just a lineup of another studio to take over KSP 2, at least not right away.

About the version changes seen on Steam, I think that's due to the few staff that were transferred to Private Division pushing out changes already in the pipeline.

Elsewhere, @K^2 mentioned that if KSP was being shut down, it would have been announced already.  I know there are complexities with cancelling a Steam Early Access Game, but I still think if there was certainty, we would have heard more.

Thus I suspect what's happening now is a detailed review of KSP by independent staff: what's been done, what's possible, at what cost, with what prospects of future revenue.  If that's being done, it will be done rather quickly.

I think there will come another announcement, but I don't know when and I have no idea what it will be.

On 5/5/2024 at 9:48 AM, PDCWolf said:

Which sounds nothing like what they did back to Star Theory. Remember, if it was that, we already know what it looks like.

The fact they got offered re-hiring was communicated instantly, and so was that another studio was to continue the game's development. They also got a message warning of this with a lot of time, they were not gagged and were able to talk right then and there.

It's a totally different news that we got now, they did not communicate anything similar. "We're firing people and closing projects."

Agreed, with a caveat that it doesn't mean that PD isn't planning to continue development of KSP2, but rather that it's not happening right now, and if and when it resumes, a different team will be involved.

If you want a comparison to what this can look like on the optimistic end of the spectrum, the way Paradox Interactive handled Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 development has similar beats. The game was running behind and reportedly there have been problems. One day PI simply announced that the game is indefinitely delayed, and Hardsuit Labs, who were working on it, was closing down. Granted, PI was more communicative than PD is being, but a lot of it was opaque corpo speak which said the same things we know about KSP2. Last year, they finally announced that The Chinese Room is now working on the game, has been making great progress, and that the game's targeting 2024 release.

There's a world in which PD decides to pull the plug on KSP2 all together, but right now, the indication is that they're going the above route. They either have someone in mind for KSP2 development or they're shopping. Either way, it will take a bit of time to get the development going again, and I don't know if we'll get an update immediately on that, or if it's going to be a while until PD decides to show us both the new studio and progress being made.

20 hours ago, Jacke said:

Elsewhere, @K^2 mentioned that if KSP was being shut down, it would have been announced already.

To be fair, I am basing this on the premise that if you already decided to cut losses, it's best to cut them immediately, because all that you'll have tomorrow is more losses.

As a counterpoint, it's clear that publishers started treating studios and IP as tulips, and the only thing that counts is the stock price ticking up. So I can't exclude some "master strategy" of announcing the cuts now, taking a bonus for the stock increase, then telling everyone that KSP2 is canceled anyways, and when the stocks take the hit, spreading the arms and saying, "It's a tough year for everyone." The only thing I can say to that possibility is that then you might as well just sit on the title until another opportunity does show up, which from our perspective is going to be indistinguishable from the game still being "in development" but looking for developer.

Either way, as far as I can tell, the game's on ice, and we'll just have to wait to see how, when, and if it gets defrosted.

17 hours ago, Alex76 said:

They stole our money and hid like rats! Capitalism at its finest!

Some were wise enough to notice the red flags and not give their money away! That is why it failed!

You know how a lot of people are all like "Hey, the studio may be getting shut down, but they should still be working and will release new content before June 28"?  Yeah, I don't think so.  Arkane was shut down without warning too, and all the stuff they were working on for Redfall has been cancelled.

Redfall's Offline Mode Was Being Worked On, But Is Dead Now (kotaku.com)

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

And? Official statements there and from PD are complete opposites.

And all those official statements from the last 6 years carry so much weight?  My point is that people need to be realistic at this point.

6 hours ago, rajatsharma said:

Thanks for the update, Nate! Excited to hear about the upcoming v0.2.2.0 update addressing user experience issues. Looking forward to the improvements and eagerly anticipating further developments on the Colonies update. Keep up the great work!

Aren't we all :wacko:

9 hours ago, rajatsharma said:

Thanks for the update, Nate! Excited to hear about the upcoming v0.2.2.0 update addressing user experience issues. Looking forward to the improvements and eagerly anticipating further developments on the Colonies update. Keep up the great work!

1 post?  Nice burner account you have there whoever you are.  

@Nate Simpson hasn't even logged in since April 26.  He is gone.

9 hours ago, rajatsharma said:

G’day mate Nate!

45 minutes ago, Biggen said:

What's more, as would be said in the Intelligence World, his Legend has been burned.  Who in their right mind will ever believe anything he says in the future?

16 hours ago, Biggen said:

1 post?  Nice burner account you have there whoever you are.  

I think this was sarcasm

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Carraux said:

I think this was sarcasm

My guess is that it was an AI spambot. Knowing the type, they will make a few posts until they are allowed to post links, then add in a sentence along the lines of "By the way, I used this tool to make money on crypto" somewhere in the massive nobody-reads-all-that block of quoted text, intended only for the "eyes" of search engines. The idea is to trick the search engine into thinking "oh, somebody linked to this scummy crypto tool from a well-renowned forum, I guess the scummy crypto tool deserves to appear higher in the search rankings, then!"

Edited by Codraroll

On 5/8/2024 at 3:38 PM, Jacke said:

What's more, as would be said in the Intelligence World, his Legend has been burned.  Who in their right mind will ever believe anything he says in the future?

I would.

2 hours ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Because you are a nexus of Hopium my friend. Hold onto that hope...

many think hope is lethal but that is only for those who eventually lose it.

You speak poetry my friend :) 

1 hour ago, Flush Foot said:

44LVfNa.png

"Yes, we know the schedule's slipped again.  But we think we'll have it out complete before Star Citizen."