The game failed because...

This forum. And Discord.

And the inability of the whole KSP2 team to deliver on anything they said.

But this forum, and Discord.... Anyone who said anything critical was pushed out. (an obvious exaduration... only here or Discord would anyone have to spell out generalizations and sarcasm) You all created an environment where it was OK to under achieve. I really, really despise this place. 

if anything killed the game, it was the misunderstandinga between players and developers, and the resulting schism slashed in the community as a result that soured the community and made everyone mad at everyone, and it's precisely the reason why you're mad now too.

that and also the development of KSP2 is, to say the absolute least, not smooth sailing, both before and after early access release. this was due to a lot of corporate tomfooleries from T2 and due to COVID and such. the enemies aren't the hard-working development team who have been dished one of the hardest game development plates in history, and if we had to pick an enemy it would be T2, whose greed in pricing and release time of the game was a major contributing force to the unfinished state of the game on release

a big enemy is also eachother because we're just so awful to our fellow community members it's not even funny and it's been happening for over a year

4 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

if anything killed the game, it was the misunderstandinga between players and developers, and the resulting schism slashed in the community as a result that soured the community and made everyone mad at everyone, and it's precisely the reason why you're mad now too.

that and also the development of KSP2 is, to say the absolute least, not smooth sailing, both before and after early access release. this was due to a lot of corporate tomfooleries from T2 and due to COVID and such. the enemies aren't the hard-working development team who have been dished one of the hardest game development plates in history, and if we had to pick an enemy it would be T2, whose greed in pricing and release time of the game was a major contributing force to the unfinished state of the game on release

a big enemy is also eachother because we're just so awful to our fellow community members it's not even funny and it's been happening for over a year

None of this started on KSP2.

You can track down these problems since the days the IP was sold to TT2 in 2017 (more or less the times KSP 1.3.0 was released).

The speed of development killed this game. Why the development was so slow will probably be an unanswered question, did it have something to do studio change, was it because publishing pushed unrealistic expectations, were the devs unable to overcome the technical hurdles of this title, and so many other possibilities.

I agree the social media platforms for KSP2 becoming ghost towns with the same 6 people commenting probably made it easier for TT to pull the plug on this game versus another one. But I think you put the cart before the horse. The forums/discord became ghost towns because of the development speed, that is the core reason. Plenty of games have a had a rough launch and came out ok, but they all had meaningful updates and significant new/revised content updates as well in the first year, unlike KSP2.

*all of this is speculation. Still hoping we hear that somehow there’s another studio in Seattle or that development is being transferred to another studio.

9 hours ago, SmokerCraft said:

Anyone who said anything critical was pushed out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Damn dude, you've been living under a rock...

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SmokerCraft said:

This forum. And Discord.

But this forum, and Discord.... Anyone who said anything critical was pushed out. (an obvious exaduration... only here or Discord would anyone have to spell out generalizations and sarcasm) You all created an environment where it was OK to under achieve. I really, really despise this place. 

Because they bit off more than they could chew. I've rarely seen interstellar in a game let alone interstellar + multiplayer.

I'm sure on paper such a game would prove challenging even for a very very experienced and well organised team of experts.

And then I saw them drop the ball with the easy stuff, all while patting themselves on the back for their success, so yeah, here we are folks, can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

19 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

patting themselves on the back

I have to agree that this stood out like a sore thumb for me.

52 minutes ago, regex said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You always add to the discussion in such an eloquent way.

And yes, annoying as the few nay sayers who remained may have been to some they only stood out because far, far more critical voices were chased off of the forums by rude and patronizing comments. 

10 hours ago, SmokerCraft said:

This forum. And Discord.

Yes I forgot it isn’t the executives and the profit/loss statements that determine if a studio keeps going, it’s the upvote counts and uninformed squabbling between a handful of customers that cancelled the game. I forgot that major entertainment companies make decisions based on hurt-feelings reports and not on the $ that comes in or not. Definitely our fault, FOR SURE.

18 minutes ago, moeggz said:

And yes, annoying as the few nay sayers who remained may have been to some they only stood out because far, far more critical voices were chased off of the forums by rude and patronizing comments. 

lolwut dude? It's non-stop doomsaying in here, what the hell are you reading?

I’ve seen a lot of doomsaying and an almost equal amount of attacks at those who were critical or doubtful the game would be finished.

But those who were pessimistic or critical did not want the game to fail. Predicting something and wanting it are different things. We were called crazy and mocked constantly here by the other half but it seems we weren’t crazy for saying a game as expensive as this and as behind schedule as this and as slowly developing as this was on thin ice and worry was warranted.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, moeggz said:

But those who were pessimistic or critical did not want the game to fail. Predicting something and wanting it are different things. We were called crazy and mocked constantly here by the other half but it seems we weren’t crazy for saying a game as expensive as this and as behind schedule as this and as slowly developing as this was on thin ice and worry was warranted.

Yeah, those guys were totally a righteous underclass being stamped on by the positive elites. HAHAHAHAHA

The discourse around here truly has fallen [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

Just now, regex said:

Yeah, those guys were totally a righteous underclass being stamped on by the positive elites.

Maybe not righteous, but certainly stamped on.  I was one of them.  Got warned for defending myself against them.  Got banned for indicating to the mods I was going to take action against being singled-out and harassed.  The harassment some of us have to endure under threat of getting banned again continues to this day in spite of reporting posts.

We do in fact want KSP2 to succeed.  We just also happen to be realistic when it comes to what we see with the game, the developers, and the studio.  That doesn't make us wrong, and it shouldn't make us targets for ridicule and shaming by the rest of the community.

1 hour ago, regex said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Been following since day 1. This place only became critical of the game recently. Pretty much since the ForScience! honeymoon wore off.

For so, so long this place way hype train this and kapibara that... Wanna throw up in my mouth thinking about all the coddling that went on here. It was gross and y'all should be ashamed.

Anyways, this was why we all refunded the moment we saw the wreck of a release last year.

They probably fooled a few thousand hype attracted people though, they should also get the money back from Steam that sold the game. Steam in turn can sue take 2 or whatever company they made payments to.

I'm rooting for all you people getting scammed, because even though it was evident from the beginning there are always those that fall for it and anyone can get caught up in it.

It's never the victims fault.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, xng said:

They probably fooled a few thousand hype attracted people though, they should also get the money back from Steam that sold the game. Steam in turn can sue take 2 or whatever company they made payments to.

If Take Two had any business sense, they would refund everyone who bought KSP2, with a message saying "We promised our valued customers an experience that we did not deliver on. We therefore cannot accept your money. We will continue to work on KSP2, but on our own dollar, not yours. We are exiting the EA business model for KSP2 and will be releasing a 1.0 version at some point in the future when it is finished. We sincerely hope that when we have a game that is worthy of your hard-earned dollars, you will consider giving KSP2 a second look."

Edited by Meecrob

2 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

If Take Two had any business sense, they would refund everyone who bought KSP2, with a message saying "We promised our valued customers an experience that we did not deliver on. We therefore cannot accept your money. We will continue to work on KSP2, but on our own dollar, not yours. We are exiting the EA business model for KSP2 and will be releasing a 1.0 version at some point in the future when it is finished. We sincerely hope that when we have a game that is worthy of your hard-earned dollars, you will consider giving KSP2 a second look."

As unlikely as I find that, it would be spectacularly upstanding of them.

1 minute ago, Flush Foot said:

As unlikely as I find that, it would be spectacularly upstanding of them.

What? Corporates being upstanding?! When?! Where?! (;))

21 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

If Take Two had any business sense, they would refund everyone who bought KSP2

When the goal is to layoff people to reduce costs, you’ll find that refunds are extremely unlikely.

especially if projects are canceled. They aren’t going to turn their money pit into a bigger money pit.