Instead of Elon Musk (horrible idea) How about Dean Hall?

19 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

That’s assuming RW would work as slow and as bad as IG. 

Why would they? RW actually has some successful releases under their belt. 

true but they've redeveloped the same part of stationeers 4 times over the last year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2024 at 2:07 AM, RayneCloud said:

Thoughts Kerbal Fam?

Oh, https://rocketwerkz.com/ - their website if you don't yet know who dean hall and RocketWerkz is (Stationeers, Icarus, Art Of the Real, etc)

Just got done refunding Stationeers after 44 minutes played. I should be able to figure out how to start a base, either because the UX is smooth and clear or from a working tutorial. Massive thumbs down from me for this studio doing anything in the KSP franchise.

On 5/4/2024 at 4:07 AM, RayneCloud said:

Thoughts Kerbal Fam?

Yes, a Facebook game where Kerbals farms on Laythe - and you have to invite 15 "friends" to start every crop!!

6 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Just got done refunding Stationeers after 44 minutes played. I should be able to figure out how to start a base, either because the UX is smooth and clear or from a working tutorial. Massive thumbs down from me for this studio doing anything in the KSP franchise.

I vaguely remember bouncing off Stationeers too, but I can't remember why, but studios sometimes get better over time. I don't think they'll be making a spiritual successor to KSP in any case, but I'd be happy to see any physics-sim based rocketry game with some sort of progression system.  You definitely need to be good at tutorialization to make a KSP-alike and have any chance of broad success!

Really, I think making a successful KSP-like game is all about tutorialization and a well-structured early game.  Don't make it a puzzle around how to build a rocket with enough delta-V to get to orbit, since we know 95% of players will bounce of the game there.  Guide a new player through it and up through first Mun landing; tons left to figure out and do past those basics.  There are experts in tutorialization out there to hire, for a studio that realizes the "first 2 hours" experience is everything, and no player with a hope of eventual mastery should get stuck during that time.

On 5/4/2024 at 10:00 AM, LameLefty said:

It’s totally unlike KSP but is, in fact, a REAL SPACE sim, but I give you RE-ENTRY:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

If instead you want a quirky SF-themed exploration/science’y sort of game (and it’s even coded with a full dose of Unity-jank!) I high, highly recommend THE PLANET CRAFTER (and it’s got an amazingly evocative soundtrack to boot):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284190/The_Planet_Crafter/

And if you want to see what a skeleton crew of developers can build if they refuse to sell out to a big name publisher, stick to what they’re REALLY good at, and adhere to their vision like glue, I give you FACTORIO. If you’re the slightest bit OCD you will love it, or hate it, and quite possibly both.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/

Wait, you also play Planet crafter?! I love that game! Would totally recommend to anyone who hasn’t played it.

Has there ever been a truly great sequel that was developed by a different team to the original game? Fallout 3 is the one that comes to mind. But Bethesda repurposed their Oblivion engine and basically just did their own thing, even to the displeasure of fans of the originals.

Donkey Kong Country was developed by Rare, but it was significantly different to the early Nintendo arcade games. Similar to Fallout, maybe enough time had passed that the new developers felt comfortable doing things their own way.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was produced in a different country to the first, but they went to great effort to bring over as many of the original team as they could, even despite the language barrier.

Basically all of the truly great games with '2' in the title have been created by the original developers of the first, or at the very least the same studio: Half Life 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, Dishonored 2, Halo 2, Resident Evil 2.....

If KSP2 had become a success it would be a very rare case of bucking this trend as it was created by a different team in a different country with none of the original developers to the first game 

Was looking for the right thread to share this small info on, I see this one is fitting.

Was lurking on EJ_SA's stream, when Dean Hall showed up on chat and shared a few comments regarding their upcoming "KSP-like" game.

ZrvrlKx.png
GpEV9LD.png
9vqfRWC.png

Q. from someone
ezaqSTd.png
A. from Dean
sYnNxuv.png

and

VqAvYiG.png

1 hour ago, Geek.Verve said:

Why does nerd culture hate Elon, now? People say he "ruined Twitter" (not that I've noticed, as I never used it), but how did he do that? He bought it...and...?

Just one nerd's opinion, but I don't agree that there's any uniform feeling across nerd culture about Elon.  Instead, he was liked by one side of the culture war, then later the other.  There are nerds all across the political and value spectrum, which is why any good nerd forum bans politics.  The answer to your second question would cross that very line, and is best not discussed here.

1 hour ago, Geek.Verve said:

Why does nerd culture hate Elon, now? People say he "ruined Twitter" (not that I've noticed, as I never used it), but how did he do that? He bought it...and...?

Twitter was fading when he overpaid for it. He just pushed the horse off a cliff before it could die on its own.

My main beef with him is he's a huge jerk if he doesn't get his way, and is also a huge jerk when he gets his way. Like those kids trapped in that cave. He offered to save them with robotic submarine things and the people were like "no we got this no need to test your hardware on our human lives but thanks" and then instead of just accepting he's not Tony Stark he questioned the morals of the people doing the saving.

Those kinds of people are the ones I cut from my life when I can. So I cut as much of him from my life as I can.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Geek.Verve said:

He bought it...and...?

And now it's overrun by bigotry and a vague air of N'zi-ism, which you probably didn't notice if you've never had to deal with such.

Edited by Bej Kerman

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

And now it's overrun by bigotry and a vague air of N'zi-ism, which you probably didn't notice if you've never had to deal with such.

That's the drill: I don't find any. And the reason is that I don't have any interest on such subject, and I took measures to don't have anyone witch such interests on my timeline.

So, nope. I don't have a problem with this.

Now, there's one positive side about: if you need to defend from such idiots, you known where to reach them and gather information about them without the need to infiltrate yourself on closed societies. People can't fight what they don't know it exists.

"Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer.”

Sun Tzu

Did you now that Twitter does comply with law enforcement when requesting information about accounts, right?

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

and I took measures to don't have anyone witch such interests on my timeline.

You really don't see a problem with having to actively avoid such people, which I have to remind was a smaller problem before Musk came along.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

You really don't see a problem with having to actively avoid such people, which I have to remind was a smaller problem before Musk came along.

No, I don't. No one has the duty to satisfy me, it's up to me to choose to what I'm wanna expose myself into.

I let someone do it to me, I would be outsourcing my own development as a human being.

And you are wrong about it being a smaller problem- it was a lesser visible problem - what means that most of the vitriol these idiots produce were going unchecked.

We need to shield the vulnerable from their influence,  and we can't do it if we don't see what they are doing - because they DON'T STOP just because someone deleted their posts.

--- -- - post edit - -- ---

Let's exemplify it better.

I used to have antisemitic people in my social network. It happened because I didn't knew they were, and that surely didn't coped well on my Jewish friends.

Then suddenly people were allowed to post such things unchecked, and it started to appear on my timeline, and then I realized that some of that contacts really didn't fit in my timeline, what to say on my life, and gradually started to phase them out.

Had that social network be still censoring that posts, I wouldn't be aware - and would risk still be surrounded by people that I don't think it fits on my life.

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT

If he's done anything good it's convincing me to finally leave twitter. You have absolutely no idea how much of a boon to my overal mental health that was.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 7:42 AM, Lisias said:

Then suddenly people were allowed to post such things unchecked, and it started to appear on my timeline, and then I realized that some of that contacts really didn't fit in my timeline, what to say on my life, and gradually started to phase them out.

Had that social network be still censoring that posts, I wouldn't be aware - and would risk still be surrounded by people that I don't think it fits on my life.

While that's a valid point in terms of your casual circle, you have to keep in mind harassment campaigns that people run now. "Just block," doesn't work. If an account with 10k followers posts something hateful to their bigoted followers quoting something from your account, you get waves after waves of harassment posts. You can keep blocking them, but they create new accounts just to find your posts and reply with something bigoted, hateful, etc.

You brought up antisemitism. Do you think your friends appreciate more that you unfollowed the few antiemetic accounts, that neither you nor them realized were being antiemetic, or the time before, when large obviously antiemetic accounts were getting banned on sight, and couldn't send out a bunch of followers with sock puppets to harass them? I think the latter might be a bigger issue.

If you aren't part of a minority group that's being constantly harassed online, you really have no idea what you're talking about it. If you're trying to argument your actions by being an ally to these minority groups, listen to them. When someone from a minority group tells you that lack of censorship is harmful and dangerous, don't just ignore it because it made you feel good to remove a few bigots from your follow lists. It shouldn't be about that.

Edited by K^2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, K^2 said:

While that's a valid point in terms of your casual circle, you have to keep in mind harassment campaigns that people run now. "Just block," doesn't work. If an account with 10k followers posts something hateful to their bigoted followers quoting something from your account, you get waves after waves of harassment posts. You can keep blocking them, but they create new accounts just to find your posts and reply with something bigoted, hateful, etc.

This Forum have the very solution for this problem: don't allow easy, cheaply created accounts to post anything.

Mass harassment happens because it's dirty cheap to create another account that will have all the privileges for free.

The problem with this approach is that most social media are evaluated by the numbers of active accounts they have, and so they have an incentive to keep the problem alive.

You brought up antisemitism. Do you think your friends appreciate more that you unfollowed the few antiemetic accounts, that neither you nor them realized were being antiemetic, or the time before, when large obviously antiemetic accounts were getting banned on sight, and couldn't send out a bunch of followers with sock puppets to harass them? I think the latter might be a bigger issue.

Nope. No one wants double crossers, back stabbing <insert your favorite non Forum compliant expletive here> in their timeline.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer - but know exactly how to tell one from another. Ask Cesar about. ("Et tu, Brute?").

I don't want to be used as a vector to monitor my friends.

If you aren't part of a minority group that's being constantly harassed online, you really have no idea what you're talking about it. If you're trying to argument your actions by being an ally to these minority groups, listen to them. When a trans woman (two now) tell you that lack of censorship is harmful and dangerous, don't just ignore it because it made you feel good to remove a few bigots from your follow lists. It shouldn't be about that.

Well, I am. Or was. Even on my LinkedIn.

I will refrain from further commenting the subject. Here.

Edited by Lisias
Here.

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

This Forum have the very solution for this problem: don't allow easy, cheaply created accounts to post anything.

Mass harassment happens because it's dirty cheap to create another account that will have all the privileges for free.

That's exactly what Elon said. Except, now it's even easier to make mass accounts, because you can use a few quiet blue check accounts as "spotters" for your bot network, and any verification can be bypassed with Mechanical Turk attack for a fraction of a penny per account.

But more importantly, this doesn't prevent targeted harassment. Because the blockers to creating a sock puppet are the same as creating a new legitimate account. And even if I make just one of these a month to harass people, multiply that by thousands of followers of the accounts who direct hate, and you end up with absolutely horrid conditions for anyone who falls in crosshairs. The reason it's not a problem here is because how few active users there are to begin with.

The platform has to take steps against accounts with large number of followers who direct hate against others. If this is not done, it creates active harm to all minority groups on that platform. It allows hate crimes to happen, which can escalate into real world violence. If you actually care about the things you claim to care about, pay attention to that. Otherwise, you are contributing to that violence with your rhetoric.

Musk didn't buy Twitter because he was pro harassment. He bought it because he is pro free-speech. The problem he saw was a top social platform applying very agenda-biased policies to define things like "harassment" and "hate speech". To be clear, I didn't much care. I've never been on Twitter, but I've always been of the belief that a company should be free to run their platform as they see fit. Their space, their rules.

I do agree that he should do more to combat bot accounts and ACTUAL harassment, but people need to understand that disagreeing with someone in a rude or "mean" manner is not harassment. Indicative of poor character? Sure, but not harassment. If one chooses to wade into the murky waters of social media, one should have a thick enough skin to weather the storm of ignorant or other wise bad humans they will surely encounter from time to time. 

On 6/10/2024 at 12:37 PM, Geek.Verve said:

I do agree that he should do more to combat bot accounts and ACTUAL harassment

You see, there's a solution - follow the money. Blue Badges cost money - make (real) harassment a serious offense that reaches the owner of the payment account that bought Twitter Blue, and you will see real improvements pretty fast.

There're tools and remedies already for the serious offenses - they are not perfect, but sufficiently effective. But, by a reason I don't understand (or perhaps I do, but involve politics - out of scope of this Forum), the more vocal are the Twitter detractors, more prone they are to ignore them.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned keyboard...

On 6/10/2024 at 12:37 PM, Geek.Verve said:

Musk didn't buy Twitter because he was pro harassment. He bought it because he is pro free-speech. The problem he saw was a top social platform applying very agenda-biased policies to define things like "harassment" and "hate speech". To be clear, I didn't much care. I've never been on Twitter, but I've always been of the belief that a company should be free to run their platform as they see fit. Their space, their rules.

I do agree that he should do more to combat bot accounts and ACTUAL harassment, but people need to understand that disagreeing with someone in a rude or "mean" manner is not harassment. Indicative of poor character? Sure, but not harassment. If one chooses to wade into the murky waters of social media, one should have a thick enough skin to weather the storm of ignorant or other wise bad humans they will surely encounter from time to time. 

Errr...
It seems to me that it is simpler than that, it is a matter of millionaire's mentality.
He did so simply to block the daughter who had turned against him and participated in groups operating in Tw. 
That, and that also served as a platform to act against the FAA. If the public turns against them, congressmen in need of votes withdraw support or pick up the phone.  

Freedom of expression was totally secondary, I would almost say collateral.

On 6/10/2024 at 8:37 AM, Geek.Verve said:

He bought it because he is pro free-speech.

If you see which posts get taken down, he's not even remotely pro free-speech. He supports free speech of the fascists, and actively blocks it for minority groups, independent news outlets, and activists. This man isn't anti-censorship. He simply wants to control the censorship.

On 6/10/2024 at 3:37 PM, Geek.Verve said:

Musk didn't buy Twitter because he was pro harassment. He bought it because he is pro free-speech.

Musk...pro free-speech.  :D   That's a good one.

Go on what he does, not what he says, and be sure to dig into matters to be sure of what's actually happening.  Musk doesn't believe in free speech at all.  And Twitter under his control has turned into a mess that's worth much less.

19 hours ago, dprostock said:

Errr...
It seems to me that it is simpler than that, it is a matter of millionaire's mentality.
He did so simply to block the daughter who had turned against him and participated in groups operating in Tw. 
That, and that also served as a platform to act against the FAA. If the public turns against them, congressmen in need of votes withdraw support or pick up the phone.  

Freedom of expression was totally secondary, I would almost say collateral.

You forgot, he probably also wanted to snoop into Grimes' DMs to see if Chelsea Manning had slid in them. 

40 minutes ago, Grenartia said:

You forgot, he probably also wanted to snoop into Grimes' DMs to see if Chelsea Manning had slid in them. 

Yeah! The X-Files! A string of destruction and death! Juas!