Back to KSP 1 for Me. Modlist to Make KSP 1 What KSP 2 Intended

Posted (edited)

Soo... back to KSP1 we go. Anyone have a recommended KSP 1 mod list to cover what KSP 2 intended to give us? Maybe something we could pin?

Was looking for a minimalist list though to cover the basics: 

Multiplayer:
Darkstar Multiplayer (DMP)

Colonies:
Hab Tech
Outer Planets Mod
Planetary Base System
Simple Construction / Not So SimpleConstruction / Keridian Dynamics

Communications:

Economy/Missions:
Stockalike Mining Extension

Life Support:
Kerbalism
TAC-LS

Science:
Kerbalism
Un Kerballed Start
Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes

Parts:
Community Tech Tree
Kerbal Inventory System/Kerbal Attachment System
Nertea's mods
Stockalike Mining Extension

Utilities:
MechJeb
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Universal Storage
FMRS, for booster recoveries

Visual:
Scatterer

Some ideas in this thread so far - 
Updated Modlists:

Edited by inigma

The point of KSP 2 was that people were sick of stacking 50 mods that conflict with each other on a fundamental level on top of an old withered game that needed taking round the back, no?

Posted (edited)

True but the neat thing is that ksp1 is stable forever so getting mods that work is a higher probability than ever before.

Edited by inigma

Just now, inigma said:

True but the neat thing is that ksp1 is stable forever so getting mods that work is a higher probability than ever before.

You won't yield an experience that's any more fun than if you compiled a similar mods list before KSP 2 was announced. If you could, KSP 2 would not have existed in the first place. There already exist a boatload of mods and modpacks that achieve similar gameplay, but they all run into the fundamental problem that KSP 2 was trying to address, that you can't make a cohesive experience out of what dozens of modders cobbled together separately.

If I were you, I'd just hold out for a spiritual successor to KSP1/Juno that does what KSP 2 intended, cause mods for a rickety decade-old game won't cut it.

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The point of KSP 2 was that people were sick of stacking 50 mods that conflict with each other on a fundamental level on top of an old withered game that needed taking round the back, no?

I think an apt description of what KSP2 should have been would be the "optimization of the KSP1 physics and feature code on an improved engine allowing the implementation of features not feasible in the original program."  Or at least that's what I always seemed to infer from the developer's statements.  Logically, the very first thing they'd need to do would be to hammer down a fully functional and streamlined physics system, ie. KSP1 without the Kraken as all else would be living within that system, and then conjoin it with a likewise optimized graphics system.  All else, art assets, feature code, etc. comes after these two most critical functions of the program are established.

And it just doesn't seem like they got there with those aspects thus hamstringing all other development.  I postulate that they perhaps didn't have enough math skills for those two tasks.  Who were the coders assigned to this task, what is their level of mathematical literacy?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, inigma said:

True but the neat thing is that ksp1 is stable forever so getting mods that work is a higher probability than ever before. Was looking for a minimalist list though to cover the basics: 

Multiplayer:

Colonies:

Communications:

Life Support:

Science:

Parts:

Utilities:

There is no mod/s to my knowledge that covers the fundamental basics of 'Colonies', at least not what the developers described. You'd (or people in general) probably be better off trying to implement such a thing into KSP2 as it's basically made for it.

That said, there's loads of good stuff for KSP1, Hab Tech for example, or Planetary Base System which is really cool and adds a wonderful aesthetic to that particular category.

Life support, your answer is Kerbalism and pretty much only Kerbalism, all of the other ones are half-baked in comparison.

Science is broadly covered in Kerbalism. But there are a few mods that add more experiments and such, like Scan Sat.

As for parts, Nertea's mods are a basic requirement of a good mod list, all of Benjee's stuff is solid too. But there's so many you'd have to kinda be specific about what sort of parts in particular you looking for?

Utilities? You able to be more specific? If we're talking about stuff like cargo bays, et cetera, Universal Storage is a great starting point. Might I also recommend FMRS, for booster recoveries and stuff.

Edited by Infinite Aerospace
Typo

The largest problem you will find with mods in KSP1 is that the more you add, the longer it takes the game to load.  Load times for stock are already too long; once you add a few mods you start talking in terms of 10s of minutes for loading.  Even with better-than-average hardware, you could be looking at 15-20 minutes just to get away from the "Applying Patches" screen at initial start-up.

With that said, the list of mods any one individual user would stack onto KSP is all really dependent upon the type of gameplay you want to have.  For example, what kind of additional parts are you looking for?  Colonies?  Orbital launchpads?  Russian space program?  American space program?  Probes or command modules?  Tanks?  And even with all these parts, are you looking to update stock textures?  Use additional graphics mods to get the new parts looking their shiniest?  And considering there are thousands of KSP1 players, you are bound to get thousands of different answers.  So be prepared to sift through a whole host of lists.  Kind of like the one I'm about to give you.  My recommendations on must-have mods, those things that I believe the game should include as stock options but doesn't:

• MechJeb
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Inventory System/Kerbal Attachment System
  • Community Tech Tree
  • Un Kerballed Start
  • Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes

This of course is my preferred list and applies only to myself.  You may find that you agree with any, all, part, or none of this list.  And keep in mind that this has nothing to do with parts, contracts, graphics, or anything else you may be looking for.

38 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The largest problem you will find with mods in KSP1 is that the more you add, the longer it takes the game to load.  Load times for stock are already too long; once you add a few mods you start talking in terms of 10s of minutes for loading.  Even with better-than-average hardware, you could be looking at 15-20 minutes just to get away from the "Applying Patches" screen at initial start-up.

With that said, the list of mods any one individual user would stack onto KSP is all really dependent upon the type of gameplay you want to have.  For example, what kind of additional parts are you looking for?  Colonies?  Orbital launchpads?  Russian space program?  American space program?  Probes or command modules?  Tanks?  And even with all these parts, are you looking to update stock textures?  Use additional graphics mods to get the new parts looking their shiniest?  And considering there are thousands of KSP1 players, you are bound to get thousands of different answers.  So be prepared to sift through a whole host of lists.  Kind of like the one I'm about to give you.  My recommendations on must-have mods, those things that I believe the game should include as stock options but doesn't:

• MechJeb
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Community Tech Tree
  • Un Kerballed Start

This of course is my preferred list and applies only to myself.  You may find that you agree with any, all, part, or none of this list.  And keep in mind that this has nothing to do with parts, contracts, graphics, or anything else you may be looking for.

This is 100% what the sequel was intended to do (and does for what it's worth), to fix how hodge podge the coding of the original game was. It helps that a lot of what the modding community added, were going to be 'baked-in' features of KSP2.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

With that said, the list of mods any one individual user would stack onto KSP is all really dependent upon the type of gameplay you want to have. 

[...]

My recommendations on must-have mods, those things that I believe the game should include as stock options but doesn't:

• MechJeb
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Community Tech Tree
  • Un Kerballed Start

This of course is my preferred list and applies only to myself.  You may find that you agree with any, all, part, or none of this list. 

I don't use any of those mods. I used KER previously, but the stock dV and TWR indicators that they added really late in KSP1's development are good enough, so I dropped that mod, even though it had more functionality than stock.

For me, there is one essential mod:

Kopernicus (and it's dependencies)

I just can't get into the 1x stock system any more.

I do my own custom system, but Sigma Dimensions us also one I frequently used.

Beyond that: Scatterer is my go to visual mod.

I've tried the cloud mods, planet shine, distant object enhancement etc etc, but I can take them or leave them- I almost always run scatterer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.