Is the game doomed?

As of current events regarding take two shutting down intercept games and the recent layoffs of our beloved devs and community manager Dakota, people are starting to lose hope that KSP 2 will ever get out of early access and end up cancelled, but I am not giving up hope on this game, I may have not gotten far but we have to keep our hopes high and our worries down, we may be losing our beloved devs, we will not forget their efforts they put into this game, keep your hopes up fellow kerbonauts.

May the Kerbal Gods and Krakens be with you.

Cameron Leroux.

Is it doomed? Well, opinions will vary and expect this thread to be a bit spicy.

What I can say, is that if its not doomed, it is about as physically close to appearing doomed as it possibly can be. The only two ways its doom becomes more definitive at this stage is if Private Division Shuts down, or if they announce explicitly and in no uncertain terms that "Kerbal Space Program 2 is cancelled". The next step back from that line is "Entire team is gone nobody says anything", which is where we are, but it offers the slim chance that there is an unspoken transition plan, that they don't want to speak about for some reason.

I personally consider that unspoken part the damning part at this point, as the most common reason a company wouldn't say more is that they don't want to commit to a promise they may not want to keep. As in, they are willing to bring on a new team with a pitch to save/finish the game, but they're not 100% confident it'll happen.

We don't know enough to be sure unfortunately.  It doesn't seem likely the game will be developed through the full roadmap, but there is technically a chance if its given to another team. We know the layoffs are scheduled for June 28th so they could spend two months slapping together what they already have and call it 1.0. I'll leave it to you to decide if that's effectively canceled. Worst case is they payed everyone their 2 months' wages, kicked them out of the office and all development ceased forever two weeks ago.

Like a lot of things in life we don't know what we don't know, and those details can change things  drastically.

Incoming unpopular opinion (probably), but...

...I think the current iteration of the game is doomed.  I think that the game is going to go into some kind of hiatus as Take Two tries to find the right studio to develop it.  This may not necessarily be an in-house studio, and it almost assuredly won't be with any developers who were associated with Intercept Games.  I think (and am extremely hopeful, but cautious in that optimism) that the game will get a complete re-write from top-to-bottom by any studio that takes this over, and we'll see something like KSP2.5 in a couple of years.

So while the current iteration of the game is most certainly done, I don't think the game in an overall sense is.

I think that KSP2 as it is defined, within its current scope, may well be doomed and more to the point, pointless. Making a sequel, intended to do everything that KSP1 already does, with a few things added, makes no sense to me. We don't need new renditions of the Kerbol solar system, so that we can revisit places we've already gone in KSP1.

KSP2 needs to be a completely different game altogether. A "lost colony" for example, bound to the planet on which the colonists from Kerbin crashed. It might involve establishing outposts, survival, gathering resources, science, terrain and airborne crafts, perhaps eventually leading up to spaceflight far down the roadmap.

The game, perhaps not - but the Studio was doomed already no matter what.

The current state of affairs related to the Game Industry is absolutely terrible.

BLOOD MONEY

"Being acquired is a stepping stone to having your studio shut down" Gaming founders and CEOs speak out on the current state of the industry

https://www.vg247.com/video-game-ceo-acquisition-tango-gameworks-microsoft-sony

I would fasten my seat belt in crash position while observing what the near future reserve to us.

The community is not going for the game as is..... and no studio will risk their neck in taking a project that´s been 5 years in dev hell, with a super divided community, and worse a niche game 50% rated in steam that will not sell much more than it already has (the original KSP1 community)

4 hours ago, Observe said:

I think that KSP2 as it is defined, within its current scope, may well be doomed and more to the point, pointless. Making a sequel, intended to do everything that KSP1 already does, with a few things added, makes no sense to me. We don't need new renditions of the Kerbol solar system, so that we can revisit places we've already gone in KSP1.

KSP2 needs to be a completely different game altogether. A "lost colony" for example, bound to the planet on which the colonists from Kerbin crashed. It might involve establishing outposts, survival, gathering resources, science, terrain and airborne crafts, perhaps eventually leading up to spaceflight far down the roadmap.

Perhaps they could start us off at a Laythe Surface Colony (LSC, if you will) where the KSC has mysteriously stopped responding to ‘our’ transmissions…

6 hours ago, Observe said:

KSP 1 also has planes and KitHack is a thing now. Bits of KSP and KitHack with boring, inane, cliché survival mechanics just sounds incredibly dull to me, unlike a proper sequel which (done right) would have allowed way larger part counts and far more late-stage gameplay, and provided a far more stable foundation for the devs and modders alike. That's the point of a sequel, not stripping away all the fun bits of the last game and combining it with daft survival mechanics. Would have been far more fun than "KitHack but your character can starve, stop trying to have fun".

Not looking good no matter how it turns out.
The longer without news the doomier it becomes tbh.
Even the weekly challenges have vanished.

In the end we don't know for sure so cross how many fingers a kerbal has I guess.

3 minutes ago, TomKerbal said:

Maybe the Kerbals will finally get noses in the next attempt, that would be an improvement.

Might not Kerbals having noses look kind of like Sonic the Hedgehog having (human) teeth?
6d1f5a709556459aaa2d6296d6a4eb17_xl.jpg

1 hour ago, GobboKirk said:

Even the weekly challenges have vanished.

Why on Kerbin would Mike and/or Dakota work on pushing out weekly challenges when they both know they are done at the end of June?  While I'm sure they are doing the best job they can to get to the end of this period, I am pretty sure that weekly challenges would be like the lowest priority on their list.  If they are even ON their list.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

Hello KSP Team member!

512MUPE.jpeg

Jim has been one of US for at least a decade. They just hired him to write some flavor text because he’s damn good at it. You’re being creepy and weird, knock it off.

edit: my mistake. Ff was just making an observation.

Edited by FleshJeb
Fj is a goober

14 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Jim has been one of US for at least a decade. They just hired him to write some flavor text because he’s damn good at it. You’re being creepy and weird, knock it off.

Define "us" and "them" if the distinction is not employment at Intercept.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Define "us" and "them" if the distinction is not employment at Intercept.

A dude who, as far as I know, works from home part time, and has probably never been in the same room as anyone else from intercept. Not someone who is involved in making decisions, privy to gossip, and may know even fewer details than the janitorial staff at the office.

edit: the legend 

Edited by FleshJeb

13 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

A dude who, as far as I know, works from home part time, and has probably never been in the same room as anyone else from intercept.

So? A lot of studios are WFH now. The only reason I've been in the same room with some of my colleagues is because we used to work at another studio together previously. A bunch of others aren't even in the same state.

If you contributed to the game, you're part of the team. Don't take that away from people. Not yours to take.