[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I really do appreciate the education and I am having a ton of fun with the mods that are taking me through this adventure, just that with my current skill set, I seem to go through the mono vs ..   I suppose, I can just keep an eye on the electrical and turn on the fuel cell only when I really need it?

On 12/14/2015, 7:02:40, frizzank said:

Yes I forgot about that one, its an easy fix. I will fix it as soon as I get a few min.

I was playing with my own mod and got frustrated with the exploding decouplers so I decided to fix them. It didn't take long. Please post any other super annoying broken pieces.

Hey Frizzank i found another small bug. The CSM pitches up and to the left slowly but speeds up slowly and when docked to the LEM is Pitches Down and speeds up slowly . With RCS and SAS on it rocks up and down but only by a few degrees.

P.S thank you for such a quick Fix of the service module and when are you going to transfer control of FASA to NathanKell?

Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9qbaUbOMxY

Edited by Nucluer

20 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Somebody used the magic words of Real World....mwahaha.

Technically all of the things you mentioned did not use monoprolllants at all: they all used (di)Nitrogen tetraoxide as oxidizer and either Aerozine 50/50 (50% UDMH and 50% hydrazine) or MMH as fuel. US space fuel cells have generally been hydrolox so the byproducts can be used as drinking water.

Darn my Trust of Wikipedia :)  Seriously the examples I used were right out of the Monopropellant page on Wikipedia.

When does FASA grace your Signature Nathan?

19 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I really do appreciate the education and I am having a ton of fun with the mods that are taking me through this adventure, just that with my current skill set, I seem to go through the mono vs ..   I suppose, I can just keep an eye on the electrical and turn on the fuel cell only when I really need it?

That is what I do.  Honestly as soon as the armored Solar Cells are available, I put 3 or 4 on the Gemini capsule to stage 2 adapter or the CSM module for the Apollo and run with them.  Not Realistic but FASA isn't either.

I have used the Fuel cell when I am stuck behind a celestial body away from Kerbol for an extended period. 

You can change what resource the generators use by opening up the cfg for the part and changing it from MonoPropellant to anything you like .  I'm not going to go into detail on how to mod cfg files there are plenty of tutorials on that in the add-on development section.

So, I'm wondering if someone can figure this out for me or if someone else has had the same issue: I am trying to Re-enter using the Apollo CSM with RO and RSS on a skip out trajectory back from the moon. It appears however that the CSM has some serious heating issues during re-entry. I have some screen shots to prove it available upon request. I have attempted this successfully with other command pods. Initial issues begin at ~100km elevation; at this point my parachutes explode followed by all other parts attached to the CSM. The CSM eventually explodes at 75km. Re-entry velocity is 10.5km/s at 130km with a periapsis at 75km. 

I'm working on a new 1.0.5 save with a ton of part mods added in (as well as a very, very, scaled back version of EVE, with most of the features cut out in order to make room for RAM), and I've been wondering something for awhile now. I've used FASA since 23.5 in all sorts of installs (RSS/RO, KSPInterstellar, Kolonization, etc.), because this is such an amazing mod. The one problem I am running into at this time, however, is the amount of RAM all of the crafts end up taking up (I always ditch the ICBM and Gemini modules, yet it's still a ton of RAM usage). I was wondering; is there any way the engines from the FASA pack could be packaged separately (kind of like the launch clamps)? I've done my utmost best at trimming out all of the non-engine parts to help cut down on RAM (I love using realistic rockets in my designs, which is why I use the Russian engine pack as well). The problem comes when some of the files are bundled together with blocks, seperators, fairings, and the like, which make it a tedious process to signal out the specific engines used for the Mercury and Apollo launch vehicles. If frizzank is unable or does not have the time to do such a thing, I was hoping someone in the community could lay out the specific files/models/etc, I can cut out in order to have the engine file's used in this pack without all the extra modules that are included (excluding the Mercury-Atlas booster-engine fairing). The biggest problem for me is that many of the folders that, at first glance, don't seem to include engine parts actually do, and it makes it difficult to determine which models to ditch without combing through the .cfg files.

Any help would be appreciated.

First off, thank you frizzank for all your hard work that you put into making and maintaining this wonderful mod. It truly is an essential for anyone fascinated in the history of spaceflight .

Now as for bug reporting, the ICBM Nosecone will glitch out when attempting to decouple, either exploding or damaging one of the dummy warheads.

I had tried reducing the force percentage as well as the thrust limit however to no avail.

Hopefully this hasn't been yet mentioned.

Cheers!

@user_337 please post on the RO thread about that issue. Also please ensure you're on the latest (v10.7.2) version of RO, the latest (1.0.5 build 1028+) version of KSP, and the latest (15.5.4) version of FAR.

@shoe7ess any folder in FASA can be deleted; parts which share textures are in the same folder. If you delete a capsule, you can also delete the associated IVA in Spaces, and if you delete all capsules and IVAs you can delete the props.

@frizzank

Thanks for fixing the colliders, that was a most unexpected surprise!

There still appear to be a few that are borked. Either the 11x Sergeant or the 11x Sergeant Decoupler, since the 3x is supposed to nest inside, and when I separate them the upper stage (3x & 1x) go spinning wildly.

Something to do with the LEM seperation, possibly the Apollo Lunar Module Stage Seperator. Again, parts go flying when I engage the LEM seperator.

Finally, either the LMA base, or possibly the Saturn IU, possibly both. The LEM nests down into the hollow of the Saturn IU as well, and when I separate the LEM after transposition and docking, violent spinning and explosions.

Please let me know if any other information would be of use.

Can anyone help me with the Saturn V parts? Specifically the Lunar Module Adapter-Base.

I have built the entire Saturn V. I have the CM attached to the SM. I have all the pieces attached throughout the rocket. My problem is when I attach the adapter to the base of the CSM engine, then I attach the LM to the Adapter base so it sits just under the CSM and after I attach all the fairings, when I get to space and I jettison the 4 fairings followed by decoupling the adapter base to allow me to rotate the CSM and dock with the LM for the trip over to the moon. After I dock the two together I can't separate the LM from the Adapter base (which is attached to the Saturn V instrument panel). 

I have tried slipping a decoupler between the LM and the Adapter base with catastrophic consequences.

Am I missing something?

Basically  the 'Spacecraft Lunar Module Adapter - Base' isn't decoupling the LM from the rest of the rocket.

Edited by gonzo98x

On 12/19/2015 at 11:16 PM, NathanKell said:

@shoe7ess any folder in FASA can be deleted; parts which share textures are in the same folder. If you delete a capsule, you can also delete the associated IVA in Spaces, and if you delete all capsules and IVAs you can delete the props.

I understand folders can be deleted, I've done it before. I always ditch the props and IVAs, but some of the folders (especially under the mercury and gemini sections) are so cluttered together that it's hard to distinguish which is an engine, which is a fuel tank, or which is just something like a fairing.  I guess I'll offer a suggestion: Have a sub-folder for each utility. It's already semi-setup this way, but it could be better organized by Fuel Tanks, Engines, Fairings, Science, etc. Problem right now is that I can't just delete a folder, because some of the folders have the previous all mixed in together.

Not going to happen, unless you want duplicate textures taking up your RAM. The 'clutter' is because frizzank quite handily reused the same texture pages across multiple parts, drastically decreasing RAM usage. That means that things are going to be in the same folder and will need to be kept (or deleted) together.

So I've been enjoying my FASA career, and now that I've progressed to modern-ish tech I've decided to update the logo. I thought someone might like it aswell:

mjSFEzp.png

Game ready flag:

XxlMu3N.png

Spoiler

I've included a Super Mario Galaxy-like easter egg in it.

Edited by necKros

My KSP Historic career has finally gotten to the Apollo stage and I am really having a fantastic time with FASA and I am sure that this might have been mentioned and that I missed it.  Rover?
Is there a rover?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion?  Something that might even work with FASA?

On 12/22/2015 at 4:10 PM, shoe7ess said:

I understand folders can be deleted, I've done it before. I always ditch the props and IVAs, but some of the folders (especially under the mercury and gemini sections) are so cluttered together that it's hard to distinguish which is an engine, which is a fuel tank, or which is just something like a fairing.  I guess I'll offer a suggestion: Have a sub-folder for each utility. It's already semi-setup this way, but it could be better organized by Fuel Tanks, Engines, Fairings, Science, etc. Problem right now is that I can't just delete a folder, because some of the folders have the previous all mixed in together.

Just like Nathan said your not going to get much in the way of savings unless you delete entire folders.

If your just wanting to get rid of specific parts to reduce clutter you can delete any .cfg you want and it will remove the part from your inventory without hurting any other part.

I tried real hard to make the entire mod take up as little RAM as possible, the downside of that is a bunch of clutter in the parts folder. Granted with the texture and model path system I could have made it more organized but I was lazy and didn't feel like doing a bunch of organizational work, which is not fun for me.

Sorry about the Explorer SRB's I can fix them after christmas as I am out of town.

Fixed some more collision stuff

[Defunct link removed by a moderator]

* Increased launch clamps and decouplers max temp drastically so they were less explody on separation.
 * Fixed missing FX files for decouplers
 * Fixed collision on LEM Decent stage, causing random spinning on staging
 * Fixed Explorer Sgt collision
 * Also added thrust transforms for Explorer_Sgt_11 for those wanting FX accuracy over performance. Names are "Thrust000" to "Thrust010"
 * Turned off thruster damage for Sgt rockets so less explosions happen on separation.
 * Made Sgt Decouplers less "Weird" when staging, looks better now.
 * Replaced the model for the Tri-X tank and added a bottom attach node for more options.

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

I have a really stupid question:  I am currently in the middle of an Apollo/Historic career and have only added to parts to the FASA Saturn V / LEM / CSM craft file.  [added some hull cams]

If I updated to the latest FASA, will I have any problems with the craft mentioned above?

That is great to know, download it now - this is such a great mod.  I really have been enjoying with the combination of some historic contract mods, it is lots of fun.

Was there ever talk how a rover?  I am sure that it was considered, but I suppose in KSP it would not have been feasible?

On 12/24/2015 at 3:19 AM, frizzank said:

Just like Nathan said your not going to get much in the way of savings unless you delete entire folders.

If your just wanting to get rid of specific parts to reduce clutter you can delete any .cfg you want and it will remove the part from your inventory without hurting any other part.

I tried real hard to make the entire mod take up as little RAM as possible, the downside of that is a bunch of clutter in the parts folder. Granted with the texture and model path system I could have made it more organized but I was lazy and didn't feel like doing a bunch of organizational work, which is not fun for me.

Sorry about the Explorer SRB's I can fix them after christmas as I am out of town.

I understand. I'll just edit/create a pruner (unless I can find one already made) that removes the parts I don't want/need (and can re-add them if it takes something I wanted out) and work it out that way. It's just hard sometimes keeping track of which part uses which model/texture file. Other mods I can easily understand based on the name of the part or by looking through the config, but some of the parts here are more confusing (I am still learning part/stage/rocket-setup names for the Mercury/Gem/Apollo missions, so that makes it more difficult for me), but I'm trying.
 However, that said, it's still not nearly as bad as some of the Russian space mods (more specifically the RN_...) ones, where every part for 5 different rockets are in the same folder, that's a huge headache, especially since viewing .dds files through what I use (Photoshop CS6) likes to take awhile sometimes. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to reply frizz, I love this mod to death (if I didn't, I wouldn't be here asking what I am).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.