What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 2/25/2017 at 4:13 AM, Thrawn889 said:

i dont think ive killed any Kerbals other than in reverts XD 

Although i have stranded them places. The Mun being my Most common one. Jeb is currently going crazy alone on an orbital station above the Mun with no intentions atm to bring him home...

I always hire new kerbals for missions that i dont intend to recover, i happen to supply half of my own rescue quests.

Got a screen grab of work in progress mobile Duna base built to fulfill a career mission, rescue Daxie Kerman and establish a better presence on Duna than the current horizontal rocket and debris from previous rescue mission. Image is a test-hover over the KSC launchpad using engines on detachable Duna Ascent vehicles. Aside from hover test, I have set staging to kick one rocket off at a time and ignite engine at the same time - works quite well! Haven't spent more time on the various rover mission elements though.

7R1wA5b.png

This evening, the interplanetary cruiser SS Torg Mathar departed Tilenna's Mobile Truckstop in Ike orbit...

Ng4pZyB.png

...and used a bit over 25% fuel loading to intercept Steylin Kerman's floating cupola module in retrograde orbit of Duna. The reaction wheels are going to have to work hard to keep the SS Torg Mathar flying true, but the piece of paper says we gotta get that piece of junk landed on Kerbin!

3qyyMIq.png

There are two Kerbonauts aboard who have been rescued from the vicinity of Duna, so the next burn may be to place the ship on a return trajectory to Kerbin. Its not a science vessel, but it has a lab because the bean counters at HQ figured they could turn a buck on it... and it has worked out quite well as one of the passengers picked up from Ike was a scientist and had gathered a fairly large amount of data from Ike. It has also been handy to level up the crew at various voyage milestones.

13 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Do they actually help the network?  Seems like they would have no advantage since they must connect to orbitals themselves.

Your suspicion is pretty much correct, kinda... it's a yes/no. Originally my relay satellites, 3 of them, were at a 500km equatorial orbit, pretty much at the limit of their relay antenna's range (the HG-5). Planes and ground vehicles near polar regions were not getting full signal, so, towers. That worked fine. But, about the same time I put the towers up, I put new relay satellites up; 4 of them, Ion powered, same HG-5 antennas, but at 400km equatorial orbits - and - an additional 4 more at 400km polar orbit (they're actually 50m farther out than the equatorial relays, so they'll never collide). So, yea, the towers are there but kind of useless.

Look at it this way; They provide jobs. The equipment requires periodic maintenance: battery change-outs, solar panel tracking motors need re-calibration and oiling, and somebody has to climb up there and clean all that Keagull poop off the dishes. They also attract Kolar bears, so I'm thinking maybe of using that new passenger jet I built for polar tourist Kolar bear excursions..... more jobs and/or regular feedings for the Kolar bears.

Edited by LordFerret

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Jiminy flarping crispies, what're you using to separate those boosters,  BIGGER boosters?! :0.0:

They look like Flea engines. AKA the first SRB that you get at the beginning of a game that definitely shouldn't be used as a sepratron for a booster with a dry mass of less than 50 tonnes.

Edited by eloquentJane

56 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Jiminy flarping crispies, what're you using to separate those boosters,  BIGGER boosters?! :0.0:

5907619+_5911bdb25809e51ab2808194fe3f5a3c.jpg Don't tempt me.

But yes, the tech node containing them was the last one I unlocked on its tier so I used Fleas. I took half of the SF out of them but clearly that wasn't enough. I get to watch the boosters collide behind me and and harmlessly explode every time.

15 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

But yes, the tech node containing them was the last one I unlocked on its tier so I used Fleas.

A nice trick to help with clean booster separation before you unlock sepratrons is to stick the radial decoupler at the top of the booster. It doesn't always work, but it generally helps out at least to some extent because the top of the booster is really where you need the most force to act during separation.

Just now, eloquentJane said:

A nice trick to help with clean booster separation before you unlock sepratrons is to stick the radial decoupler at the top of the booster. It doesn't always work, but it generally helps out at least to some extent because the top of the booster is really where you need the most force to act during separation.

I do that, thanks. I still wanted some separatron action, particularly in the realm of the boosters flipping over more strongly on separation. I must need more fleas...

My Kerbals went to science the cake out of [REDACTED]...
A perfect Kertonov cargoplane with a mobile lab plus habitat, a mobile miningrig to refuel the plane and a small rover, all tightly stuffed into the cargobay.
Ten Kerbals make a journey, 100% Stock KSP, not one single mod:

(Third pic contains a spoiler)

B4CWupr.png

Some hours went into this project... :confused:

s7iy0yy.png

Plane flies perfect... :)

Spoiler

OX7gviU.png

Jebediah shows his skill... :0.0:

fr8GsY1.png

And Kerbals stay happy!!! :cool:

cYwiSB8.png

Crazy, all stock... :D

Edited by Mikki
Pic into spoiler:D

I have 12 Kerbals and have been rotating them between a space lab (creatively called Skylab...) and the various inkarnations of the Odysseus vehicle. The goal is to get them all 5 stars while visiting all planets and moons. Two of them got there, but I still have two with 3 stars ad the rest has 4. We managed to set probes to Jool but no Kerbals reached there yet.

Here are some random photos from the recent voyages. We've been to Eloo! but we keep missing Jool. MechJeb gives me estimates in years. Although the trip to Eloo took over 3 years and they're still almost a year from home.

BTW, to keep track who is who I name my Kerbals to match their function: Sonya and Sidgurd are scientist for example, Pammy and Parker are pilots and Emily and Elma are the engineers on this journey.

The drawback of creating your own Kerbals is that they vanish once their ship is recovered on Kerbin. So mine live in a Skylab for now and once they all reach 5 stars it will be time to retire them. There is also a Temp Hab made from stock parts only in case one of the mods freaks out and I need to remove or reinstall mods without losing Kerbals.

OK, I'm a 50yo playing with virtual dolls....hmmm... Anyways....

Sonya Kerman as the first Kerbal on Eloo
screenshot11.jpg

And this is the nuclear-magneto-plasma-something monstrosity that got them there.
screenshot18.jpg

Taking off from Kerbin (not realistic, I know...)
screenshot1.jpg

Preparing for the long burn... (modified version from the above screenshot)
screenshot4.jpg

Odysseus XTR passing in the shadow of Skylab's giant solar panels. Again, an older build of the vessel.
screenshot0.jpg

And away we go, next stop Eloo!
screenshot8.jpg

Skylab...
screenshot13.jpg

Odyssus' awesome behind. The engine in the middle is a modified Kerbodyne Rhino LFO for landings and the four others are NF Colossus Magnetoplasmadynamic engines burning Lithium and kolossal amounts of electricity. Two large nuclear reactors running at 50% (to last for the time of the journey) are required for those babies, solar panels won't cut it unless you do multiple short burns and wait for batteries to recharge.
screenshot10.jpg

I haven't done anything in a while, but I plan on doing some work on my battleships over spring break... and maybe finally starting a career game on something higher than 1.0.5. Maybe I'll have time to get an early start today.

8 minutes ago, Triop said:

Found an old mod "SCANsat" that still works, scanning Kerbin right now...

yJIor1a.png

What version of SCANsat and KSP are you running? And what mod lets you see through the cockpit (unless it's the stock cutaway)?

9 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

I haven't done anything in a while, but I plan on doing some work on my battleships over spring break... and maybe finally starting a career game on something higher than 1.0.5. Maybe I'll have time to get an early start today.

What version of SCANsat and KSP are you running? And what mod lets you see through the cockpit (unless it's the stock cutaway)?

Version : 1.2.2.1622

Mod:

See through is stock, there is a little button on the left of the Kerbals portrait. ^_^

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I do that, thanks. I still wanted some separatron action, particularly in the realm of the boosters flipping over more strongly on separation. I must need more fleas...

I find a good trick for booster separation lower in the atmosphere is to put stabilization surfaces toward the bottom of them.  Not only does it help general rocket stability, but once the radially-mirrored boosters detach it makes each booster's individual drag profile asymmetric, and the aerodynamic forces help them peal away to the sides.  This is mostly relevant on lower-stage boosters where the air is thicker and the acceleration is great, but it is a little less relevant at higher altitudes where the air is thin and one has more time to throttle-down and adjust in order to clear from the previous stage before beginning a strong burn.  

Welp. After a few months of playing KSP for a few hours a day with very few time warps lasting more then a Kerbin Day. My first craft finaly reached Duna:EB890DFA74286636451CFB51CA325907D16F51D2

Was able to get high and near Duna science with goo, science Jr, temp and Presure thingy. And has enough fuel to get a Kerbin encounter one day while almost running dry...

Edited by Aragosnat

Fixing yesterday's lunar lander mistakes I sent Val to the lunar north pole.  hop skip and a 800dV jump hit three biomes.

Solved, by using different part, the strange shadows on my fairings, got the boosters and main+side stages all recoverable.  Still lost two solids when they collide.  Wish it had those nice decouplers with the built in sep motors.

aY4tuu7.png

Made it to the lowlands after visiting the north pole and major crater along the way. Jettisoned the camera system before the picture thinking i was going to leave science instruments on the surface. Note to self, lower decouple force...

zTL7Q4O.png

Few seconds of fuel left in the base as heaing to lunar orbit.  Science packages disposed of, and running on fuel cells. 

XauuTeH.png

Bye-bye lander stage.

aehHYQv.png

Got my re-entry down very well, peak heating was very limited. Didn't actually need the lunar rated heat shield. Peak G force was only 6.9g and it happened well into lower atmosphere at ~40km. Until this phase I had peaks at 3.4g on ascent and 3.5g at peak heating. Much better than the 15g+ hits that my previous designs suffered.  Think next one will move more inside a storage bay.