What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

If you've got friction auto, you're gonna slide. I recommend 200 brakes on ALL wheels, friction at 5.0 for the non-steering wheels, and 2.5 for the steering. (You have to press Override to change the friction controls)

I'll check it out and try it. Thanks! :)

Being I've put a picture of my Voyager up, I might as well show off Voyager2. Voyager2 is pretty much the same plane, but with a few extras, like; a BTDT scanner and a bomb bay with crew capsule. Being a number of Kerbin's anomalies are up atop mountains in some very precarious places (as far as trying to land plane goes - and I don't have a VTOL), I figured the next best thing was to drop a scientist in. Voila! Come in low and slow, open the bomb bay doors, drop the capsule and crew (chute opens automatically upon release), fly a 2km CAP until the capsule lands... then go about your business (fly back home, land elsewhere, etc). :cool:
dllmq3W.png

8 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

I can't wait! All my tilt-rotor craft only work in either VTOL or normal flight. No inbetween and no mercy; all of mine crash. Have you got a date for release? I'll try it on my HLD :)

Release dates and I don't get along, but possibly end of the week. Just need to unwrap and texture the wings.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

...anomalies are up atop mountains in some very precarious places (as far as trying to land plane goes - and I don't have a VTOL), I figured the next best thing was to drop a scientist in. Voila! Come in low and slow, open the bomb bay doors, drop the capsule and crew...

Just be careful where you drop the capsule. I won't forget once when I had a pod land on a mountain, then go tumbling down the side to it's doom. :(

While letting this thing do a 40 minute IRL burn (7 min in game, sigh....):

tBNsgUS.png

I was alt-tabbing between screens.  I had another screenshot up that I was viewing.  Tabbed back to KSP, and wanted to check the map window.  Kept hitting alt-tab instead of M, and couldn't figure out why it was just flipping the view angle of the ship around!

My computer's dead, drowned in an ocean of tears and shorted out...;.;

It had all started so well, having went to both of Kerbin's moons on numerous occasions, now was the time to go further afield.  Duna was calling and a decision was reached at the KSC that the next mission would launch a probe to the red planet.

After much research watching Youtube videos and rocket development copying a Marcus House design a launch vehicle with a Duna probe payload was assembled and readied on the launch pad.  Waiting for a launch window, the entire staff at the KSC were turning blue -  well cyan really - as they held their breath in anticipation of the beginning of the next chapter of the Kerbal Space Program.

Finally the moment to begin the mission arrived.  As Flight Director Gene Kerman stood with the box of matches beside the fuse that would fire the engines, everyone else who knew anything about rocket launches at the KSC ran for their dear lives, scared senseless by what was about to happen!  But their fear was misplaced, this rocket was well designed Marcus House knows a thing or two about designing rockets and the huge vessel soared majestically skywards on its single LT-45 engine backed up by two Kickback SRBs.

The launch went perfectly and in no time at all, orbit had been achieved, fairings discarded, solar panels deployed and the burn to send the vessel on its way to Duna calculated.  Ten minutes later and the engine fired up again and the now much smaller craft was hurled out of the Kerbin SOI and thrown on an intercept course with Duna.

Three hundred days later and we finally get an encounter with Duna.  Once the probe had entered Duna's SOI it would take a few hours to reach the planet.  So I... I mean Gene Kerman decided to time warp.  Hands in a cold sweat as the first ever interplanetary mission was reaching its climax, "poor old Gene" :wink: made a major boob... forgot Duna had an atmosphere, allowed the probe to slam into it at some godawful speed, and watched in despair as the planet was showered with bits of burning debris as the thing exploded into a million pieces.  Worse than that, but in all the excitement, I - I mean GENE... yes Gene... forgot about F5, so it really was a total loss.

Now I hope none of you blame me for this disaster, Gene Kerman, he's the Flight Director, he's responsible, I just push the buttons!

Moral at the KSC is nonexistent this evening, but knowing our little friends they'll have another crack at a Duna probe in the very near future, and at least they now know for certain Duna does indeed have an atmosphere! :D

Just completed a flight to Vall and Poll. Nothing too complicated about that, except due to a shortage of serviceable parts at the KSC, there was only one of each in the parts bin (er... the well organised parts storage facility).

tcRoBc4.png

jtKKaG3.png

dKhT50y.png

WaYnrW5.png

Jeb made it back in one piece, even if some of the solar panels bought it on landing.

Edited by purpleivan

So I'm a nice boss, I invited all the ladies for a "summer vacation" so they can "work on their tan"... :lol:

All aboard !

5u8LbCV.png

Close orbit around the sun. :cool:

KMc1Bob.png

Bye ladies, see you later !

"start the BBQ and get me a cold one Jeb, it's party time....

lJXVfsT.png

^_^

Edited by Triop

OS Bedrich Smetana is a space parking lot! Three each of the Rook (larger) and Bishop (smaller) upper stages.  I just need to add the booth for the attendant. (Ie, the crew module). I'll probably deorbit most of the stages to save on part count, and practice aiming for KSC with them. I've got about 60 tons of LF on there now, which actually isn't that much considering the Rook stages take 100 tons to fully fuel.

A space parking lot! Just needs a booth for an attendant.

9 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Just be careful where you drop the capsule. I won't forget once when I had a pod land on a mountain, then go tumbling down the side to it's doom. :(

This happened to me while trying to check out the volcano near the KSC in GPP. 

Edited by kraden

Played with KSP-Interstellar Extended for a little mission report I have planned. I first tried out the Nuclear Jet engines and they are amazing! Even on a higher point on Duna they quickly managed takeoff and even achieve orbital velocity. 6yHtozh.png

q3MSGfW.png

My next idea was to try to make an effective passenger craft that would be reusable while carrying large amounts of people. The conclusion was a 64 passenger carrying beast with 4 nuclear turbojets, 2 nuclear ramjets, and a Mainsail rocket engine. HzqQTZH.png

The last thing was to see if I could make an effective tanker that could have more Delta-V than is required for just a conventional Hohmann transfer, resulting in a short transit. Here's one of the designs using NFP engines. I haven't finished yet, but so far the best is with a tweakscaled KSP-I Extended Magnetoplasmadynamic thruster, with 11,000 M/s of Delta-V carrying at least 300,000 kg of material. The only issue is that the thrust curves off as the waste heat builds up.

AbhnTxT.png

On 4/3/2017 at 10:19 PM, LordFerret said:

I put twin radio relay towers up, one at each pole (North and South) on Kerbin. They're a little over 50m tall, more like 79m actually. Pretty close, definitely within the 'pinch' region. They compliment my polar orbiting relay array.

Do they actually help the network?  Seems like they would have no advantage since they must connect to orbitals themselves.

Anyway.  Moon or bust.  Last nights failures corrected I sent my reduced capability lunar lander out.  Named the Hestia I (children of Rhea/Cronus for lander names). 

UCY4JmF.png7kwhG8U.png3OnNPPq.png

Getting ready to "Trans-Lunar Inject". Damn you MechJeb....350dV before i caught it slinging me out of system. corrected and tuned in my lunar PE.  Then hit the fast fordard to SOI button and my orbit magically changed to a much smaller one. Reloaded and manually fast forward to lunar space.  Make a orbit and begin my drop.  Had intended to have more fuel for a second biome but it wasn't happening if I saved a safety margin.

tncdg1C.pngx4SJaY2.pngNweWTfo.pngQ6i7z0w.png

My Breeze and Ant motors all cooking aiming for lunar highlands. In the dark or spend a while orbitting (What i should have done).  come down not realising i'm on the edge of a large crater. my motors are quite low power so i couldn't abort much without wasting a lot of fuel.  had to use a tiny bit of thrust to keep from sliding down. used the solar cell jack method.  Lost one but its a backup. Need fuel cells anyway.

vQoEbwd.pngLHMV3TU.pngkc5UZow.png

After a great landing. /sarcasmOnMax   My launch off the moon was wrong.  my inclination was bad and i had a bad Earth PE so was glad I saved a lot of fuel instead of doing the second biome.  I had forgot a lunar rated heat shield in the design so I emptied the tank lowering orbital velocity and used the fumes to make a low angle insertion.  burned up a re-entry rated fuel tank and engines but the capsule ablator held up. Used about half.

o7wHYxU.png56yolcf.pngqOFHvxy.pngqoo2Y9w.png

516 Science Richer.

Edited by Bornholio
spellin'

It's not everyday I post this many pictures at once, much less with texture quality turned back down to half to make my game fully playable. :blush: 

Jebediah got to command another launch following the exit of the first interplanetary probe (bound for Gratian) into deep space and the deployment of Deep Sky's first orbital station, the SS Prudence Mk0. The mission goal was simply to try out some new hardware, land on one of  Iota's biomes, and bring not just science but science data for the Prudence's lab to digest. [Due to an issue with my past update of GPP 1.2.0 from 1.1.x my SCANsat probes were lost and all their data for Gael and moons with them. I'm not yet using the newly released GPP 1.2.1.] Targeting a larger instance among the skids, Jeb made his horizontal cancellation maneuver and a suicide burn to drop, on a measly Spark engine.

The scientist riding with him, Clauty Kerman had to occasionally get out and fetch what data she could from the instruments...and the infant krakens bolted to the side of the ship, with no science box attached to the lander to do it in one click.

Faoq9Bc.jpg

qU2gpxB.jpg whp3BaN.jpg yknljaq.jpg YSDjTfX.jpg

Rather than dive back into atmosphere, the lander retro-burned into low orbit in Gael's shadow and intercepted the station. No RCS; Clauty had to jump out and catch the station with a merciful relative speed of 21 m/s. The transmitted science (not to the Prudence station) seemed to amount to a little over 140 as the lander delivered 383 points on recovery after splashdown back on Gael and somewhere over 530 points were available to spend.

Twelve days after was the next manned launch. Haidrien Kerman, the wouldbe Galilean messiah, was chosen as the pilot. This mission's goal was to deliver the second scientist (Bob, I think) to Prudence's lab. The lab now has maybe 50 science data and puts out 0.7 science per day. (40% science rewards) After what was a pretty comfortable little feat Haidrien returned to the surface. When the flight systems hinted that she had a chance at landing in a river rather than in highlands or mountains as most other kerbals do she went straight for it with the help of this particular final stage craft having > 1 TWR in the upper atmosphere.

She didn't splash but she comfortably planted a flag on a 42 degree slope and didn't tumble. Good enough for the record books.

LtbY1sp.jpg

vrAqiIc.jpg 7HxYCID.jpg SiKh50E.jpg bUt70Dt.jpg