What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Making flagship patches for round 3, it's not too late to do a mission!!!!

Round 2 for reference, Round 3 respectively:

round-2-evemaster-flagship-level.jpg?w=553&h=cosmic-chaser-photo.png?w=553&h=

Edited by Guest

I had a contract to fulfill at Ike and I experimented with a small launch vehicle. Mainly because this was a small payout contract.

img%5D

SRB separation.

img%5D

Main engine cut off and second stage ignition

img%5D

The last part of the Duna ejection burn

img%5D

I get a lucky encounter with Ike on the course correction burn,

img%5D

And orbit achieved. Now to just wait out the time required to complete the contract.

img%5D

Edited by N_Danger
Spelling

I made a Work Around for a pesky problem on KSP since 1.8 : I think I kinda stopped the left or right drifting of the craft after she is launched!

0000.jpg

0003.jpg

That's the history: while (ab)using TweakScale, I ended up realizing why crafts starts to drift to the left or to right on launching! To tell the true, the crafts drifts all the time, but on the launching we have the airstrip to have a reference and so we perceive the problem more easily.

In fact, we have two different problems: a drifting on the wheels, and a drifting on the craft herself. Two different problems happening at the same time. :P

I managed to work around (this is not a fix!) the craft drifting on the latest KSP Recall, and I would appreciate the help of brave Kerbonauts willing to help me testing this before publishing it widely on Spacedock and CKAN. The latest Release is available only on Github for while.

In time, the drifting induced by the wheels are not being handled yet - the workaround above helps a bit, but not enough to overcome the wheel's problem. But I expect that crafts without wheels will stop changing headings by their own from now on. :)

Edited by Lisias
Of cuorse, tyops!

I finished texturing the Mk-33 Strongback and modeled the launchpad. Then I tested driving the Mk-33 up the ramp; you'll need a running start, but it works. And for those that don't use Kerbal Konstructs, you'll be able to add wheels (i'd attach them to decouplers or robotics) and drive the pad to the desired site:

rZvD4qU.png

EGxvER4.png

Once I get the pad model finalized I can start texturing it...

Given my success with the ground-based seismic sensor on Minmus, I decided to send a couple of impactors over to the Mun. They're basically just probe cores with a big fuel tank and engine. They should be able to impact the surface of the Mu at 1500 m/s at least.

jCSo21N.jpg

I also launched a couple of long-range relays. I do find attaching these somewhat irritating. I had to step up to a 3.75-m fairing because the interstage nodes of the smaller fairings aren't high enough to connect the second probe without clipping. And even then, the truss structure was too narrow and clipped into the RA-100 antenna. So I ended up with the front probe looking like it's magically floating in front of the other.

oJBvxHh.jpg

I launched these two on a dive orbit with a period of 284 days, or 2/3 of a Kerbin year. That should return the first satellite to the same spot in 2/3 of a year - injecting it into Kerbin orbit 120 degrees in front of the planet - and the second release at 4/3 of a year - 120 degrees behind. This will make a nice triangular constellation with Kerbin as one of the points.

n2yJ8jn.jpg

I got one of those "gift" contracts to do something I'm already doing. Mine 550 units of ore from Minmus? OK, switch focus to Jeb and Bill's ship and boom! Contract complete! Jeb started dreaming about how many drinks he could buy with 423,000 funds, but then Bill reminded him that they don't actually get paid.

3eg7EYb.jpg

Y5ethnH.jpg

The crew shuttle arrived at Minimus Station bringing tourists, newbie kerbonauts, replacements, etc.

aDEpOSg.jpg

Docking the crew shuttle completed the "Upgrade Minimus Station" contract. That will more than pay for the new surface ore converter and the station expansion.

pinttz2.jpg

Now I have a really hard task. I have to sort out the 25 or so kerbals at Minimus Station. I need to get everyone that needs to land on Minimus down, then I have to sort out who stays and who goes. The newbies and one tourist need to leave Kerbin's SOI on the way out. I also need to get the Duna crew back to Kerbin because that launch window is approaching. And I need to backfill all the slots the Duna crew was filling with replacements.

I've sent my first MK2 lander successfully to mun's surface to mine ore BUT then I realized I forgot the ore holding tank :)

They are still landed and now I plan on refueling in my WIP mun station to bring them back so I'll have to do the same mission again because of this error :(

edit: I'll just load my launch save because I have low money

Edited by Neil Kermstrong

I am working on a project but I found this today, and I think it's noteworthy:

If you haven't yet, you must watch this video by @Stratzenblitz75 (edit technically all the other people who helped too)! It's well done and mindblowing!!!

Edited by Guest

I landed my crew shuttle on Minmus to plant a flag and get experience for all the kerbals onboard. The BG pistons I was using for legs turned out to be a near-disaster in the low gravity. They didn't want to stop hopping around no matter what I did with the damper settings. I finally ended up just retracting them and resting the ship on its engine bell.

The crew shuttle also replaced Jeb and Bill (from the ore harvester in back) and Bob (from the science lab) with fresh crew. Jeb, Bob, and Bill will rotate back to Kerbin where they'll be part of the alpha crew for the Duna mission coming up in a couple of months.

CngWzPj.jpg

The new ore processing rover landed at Minmus. Given the easy landing conditions, I landed with it still attached to the fuel tanker designed to ferry the newly generated fuel up from the surface. The rover then separated, landed on its rear-mounted engine, and pivoted down on the wheels.

gW5LXMv.jpg

dUwS21H.jpg

The rover was immediately put into action. The first task was to refuel the small tank in the science lab. The residual fuel left in the tank after landing the science lab has been providing power via fuel cells for almost 90 days. This tank had just run dry, letting the science lab go dark at night. With a fresh supply of fuel it continue research both day and night. With 6 drills and 2 convertors, the rover made quick work of the task.

Awi8RkK.jpg

After refueling the science lab, the rover refueled the crew shuttle. The crew shuttle transferred back to Minimus Station where it picked up a final few kerbals, then departed towards Kerbin's SOI. They'll make a quick U-turn once attaining orbit around Kerbol and return to Kerbin.

tSWcsqm.jpg

Over at the Mun, my two impactors arrived and set about crashing next to the seismic sensor on the surface.

ktbAeFr.jpg

The impactors were only moderately successful. The first was deployed from a 25-km orbit. From this altitude, it wasn't able to fully expend its fuel and it impacted at roughly 1400 m/s. Total science gained was only 6.5.

kwDkUsP.jpg

G2v8qZD.jpg

The second impactor was deployed from a 100-km orbit and impacted at approximately 2700 m/s. It generated about 64 science upon impact. Between the two, the impactors produced slightly over 1/3 of the science available in the seismic sensor. This is much more tolerable than the << 1% generated by previous impacts on the Mun, but disappointing compared to results at Minmus where two impactors easily generated 100% science in the sensor.

QqfSPrk.jpg

kI8HOw7.jpg

Back on Kerbin, I performed the first of four planned launches for the Duna expedition. Launch 1 consists of 6 satellite relays (each with an RA-100) which will be deployed around Duna and Ike. The transfer stage of the satellite carrier was refueled at Kerbin Station. The relays will depart Kerbin on day 171, a full 60 days before the optimal launch window. This will put them at Duna 24 days ahead of the next arrival (ISRU equipment). This should provide ample time to set up the relay networks before any other craft arrive.

5A3NQGQ.jpg

akXpYrS.jpg

I didn't do a whole lot, mostly mined some more fuel on Minmus. I topped off the tanks in the station and it's brimming with fuel now.

OtPkGUe.jpg

I ran into the weird overheating issue again. The radiators are showing 100% efficiency when they're normally at about 16%, and the rover wheels are overheating for some reason. It slowly faded over time and things went back to normal.

1lYpjnY.jpg

When the ore miner went back to Minimus Station, the same thing was going on there. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's just weird and intermittent.

6pEZ8fL.jpg

One last thing I noticed was a new entry from the World Firsts Society. Apparently I started an outpost on Minmus. I'm not quite sure what triggered that. Was it having a certain number of kerbals on the ground at once? Or maybe because I had a crewed rover?

KbdVbjJ.jpg

got the Jool lightning orbit, on the third try, probe twice the mass with nuclear engines over the smaller Xeon ones, less DV overall but better launch and intercept.

next contract - enter the atmosphere of Jool, had been meaning to try aerocapture anyway, small probe, it worked

experimenting is fun

Ooh boy...,today was something...

So while booting up ksp, I thought it would be fun to capture and asteroid and use it as a refueling port for my rockets and sstos. So I found a class c, and blasted off. The rocket I sent to capture it was an absolute behemoth....weighing in at 152 tons fully fueled and with 11,956 m/s it was a beast that could easily have made it to any planet or moon.

So I burned to the astroid as usual, and everything was dandy. I snatched it up with a claw, with now only 7,564 m/s. More then enough to get home. 

Now the trouble started.

Due to my proximity and location relative to kerbin I had to wait 7 years for a transfer window. When I got to it, I made a maneuver node and got an encounter, easy peasy. . For some reason, I could only get a backwards encounter , so I would be encountering kerbin and have to burn against it’s orbit....and wasting deltaV and ending up in a retrograde orbit. Thankfully, my next encounter would get me a proper encounter. So after getting that kerbin gravity assist, I lost that second encounter. I decided to get a couple mun gravity assists, to nudge my way into an orbit. The first one got my into a stable orbit, but for some reason I left kerbin’s soi even though my ap and pe were well inside the limits!

I had a maneuver node set up to get into a kerbin encounter/get ready for an orbit....and the ‘start burn’ indicator said to start the burn in.....101 years and 236 days....YIKES!

so after a few years and 2 hours of faffing with nodes, I managed to get into a kerbin orbit. By the time I splashed down....it was MET 11y 418d! Almost for 12 years,  Jeb Bill and Bob were drifting through space. 

Speaking of them...if it were any other kerbals that were on this mission I would’ve said screw it and left ‘em out there. (I’d rescue them eventually, but they could wait) but because it was the three vets....I had to Apollo 13 the heck out of this mission to get them home.

This is easily the most intense, difficult, and masochistic mission I have ever done.       

any-who, sorry for the super long story, hope it was somewhat interesting!

Edited by Lewie

I have 3 contracts of the same type for Val, Tylo and Bop. So Jooldiver 2 was born. 

img%5D

img%5D

I went for Bop first, I matched most of the inclination needed on the course correction burn.  

Jool is looking good.

img%5D

And after the time requirement is met at Bop, we go to Tylo next.

img%5D

So, A lot happened recently.
First, I landed a probe on Eve, while leaving some infrastructure behind.

Spoiler

BC3AFAEF86EFB7352F1246D3B12F18CF4CE965D3

This is the Eve mission on the launching pad.

524B95BBB6F95C7421D2956735A0FD063895DDEC

Ascending stages are gone, now let's head for the Gateway Plexe and wait for the Eve window to open.

27670085FB49C64FCBC3FED4EA30925D1D32223E

It's almost not wobbly here.

26F1992DF183255E9C6C7F35CF2A9D7ECEE3697A

Burning toward Eve now. Yes, the atmospheric shell is now in the back.

06113DA4B9F6F078841656B710962D6046EC23D3

Oh noes, Eve lost its color :0.0:. Let's reload it.

C5F36654117410A10AC282B2E4DEB731D9AAC067

Much better. The orbit is very tilted though, and there's not enough dV left to correct that. So I'll let the lab there for now, and I'll correct it with the next craft.

B66A6CE1A0326BD3C20156E632C3A13D5BD567A3

Time to touch down. The puffs are here to help with touching down into the ocean (which is required for the contract to succeed).

CEE6E23892E3E42DC8303CD20BCAFC1D0D597022

Much plasma. Very flames.

80F9BCA16E1B7E9FD2C920A60B3699967405E473

And going down on chute, after getting rid of the reentry shell.

7987B28455DE74CF0300B016F1AE36C2DAC5A725

And splashed down. I can now transmit science to the lab up there, and back to Kerbin.

Next were contract about expanding orbital infrastructure. The first one was to increase the capacity of the Stasis station, in geostationary orbit around Kerbin.

Spoiler

79D828A442B85D7093833E1FFF76E1AF12B2261C

We need to add a lab and a cupola to the existing station. So here we are on the launchpad with an extension.

50140AD7D6053D088FA586210666837BEC4EB75C

Staging the SRBs in flames.

35C6846390073C80D6097E1765C9FCEDF77A2E79

The science lab and cupolas module is now loose and heading to rendezvous with stasis.

6ED8685462ED4124546A8175482C10679EE4198B

And docked. This is an old station, so I have all size of docking ports here, each module being an adaptor to the next docking port size :D.

Then a new station needed to be built around Minmus. My contractors love their space stations it seems, I have to build a lot of them.

Spoiler

I totally forgot to do screenshot of the first part going into orbit. So, let's get it started at stage 2.

B570820579798DCE628617BCB4B9EDC2F124C0B3

This is a totally balanced fairing. With a lot of rigid attachment and grand parent autostruts.

It's also the first launch of the Heavy Payload Delivery System, which can bring the 70t of this second stage in orbit for assembly (also, first use of a full 3.5m stack on my side).

34F05E3857C5549E600FF7842ACF09577D63E550

Burning the fairing on exit. Those fairings are tougher than marshmallows.

A58B558F65B4587B30D7E7C205C2C3D9DD01EC03

The second stage coasting to orbit. A lot of Liquid Fuel, some Ore tanks (there's a big converter on the first stage), 6 Nervs and docking ports to add drop tanks. The intent is to be a logistic payload, to help with distributing fuel in kerbin SOI (especially docking ore tanks, converting them in Liquid fuel and send them to the gateway plexe).

9BAAC49D2D9768A61DBFB10C95B5800D5DF53D7B

Going into rendezvous with the first stage (which is an almost circular ring).

DDD9D17835EDACD235999282316446967DC8E051

And the two stage are now assembled. I needed three pilot on the craft to complete the contract and I currently have only one. So, I sent a mini module (mostly two landing cans and a senior docking port) to carry the needed pilots and brings every one back.

CAAC2CE609746D810EB83F0E270B22DF2CF74534

Pushing the Nerv's toward Minmus. The wolfhound is shut down, I'll need it to bring everyone back on Kerbin.

582378BE437E976CB8142622F1B7FA7E8B471BA3

And we made orbit! The craft is quite rigid (I guess, using grid struts tied together with a decent amount of struts helps a lot, the LF tanks aren't structural).

D5C51528487497B002C1DE7E017E201EABC11EB2

And, after contract completion, we're now going back home.

Not reported is the death of my solar orbital base. I wanted to insert a module in it, but when I splited the station in two I found out that command module and antennas were on two different stack, now separated from each other, rendering the antennas useless, making the command pod nonoperational. And the third stage that I wanted to insert relied on a functioning CommNet to do its job. Which did not exists anymore. The lesson here is, each station module must have a probe core, antennas and batteries. Can be the small antennas, but they need to exist for when I reconfigure the station.

Not today, but yesterday I rescued a Kerbal that was stranded in the mun's orbit (With a 45k rocket) for 130k-200k (dont remember how much)

Now the interesting thing: Since I had an old contract and I was yet to complete it, I've done my first EvE fly by with Jeb and returned to Kerbin safely

t3NFnvw.jpgIt's a bit dark but you can see the planet above the 2.50>1.25 adapter.

That was by far my most creative rocket and the most functional one, and it only had 3 stages (most rockets i design have 4 stages)

Now I am not sure if I should try landing on it or if I should do Duna first. What do you guys think?

21 minutes ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

Now the interesting thing: Since I had an old contract and I was yet to complete it, I've done my first EvE fly by with Jeb and returned to Kerbin safely

Now I am not sure if I should try landing on it or if I should do Duna first. What do you guys think?

Landing on Eve with no heatshield and no plan? Errrrr... if you want to try, I for one want to see the explosions :D