What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4500 km downrange contract completed and with that the very first project in  my RP-1 career (started here) - "Early rocket development".

The funny thing is that I could have completed this contract waay earlier if I have not made the mistake with fitting the rocket with high pressure fuel tanks which RD-100 series of engines do not need. By changing type of fuel tank, I went from 7450 dV to 8800+ dV

DnQIESt.png

qmXOKui.png

Yeah, I know - bit odd to add Soviet project managers to organization while using NASA insignia.
Story continues here.

Edited by IncompetentSpacer

So I did a few things... 
came back to planet modding and randomly added a new system as a different mod compatible to Everoth Cluster, but I only added one of the 7-8 planets.

I decided to add a planed named Caeruleum, which is the third planet in the Dini system.
It could be classified as a 'cloudless warm Neptune' as its about the size of a kerbal scale Neptune at around 4 times the radius of Kerbin

It is just warm enough for no global cloud layer to form, and as a result, it just looks like a featureless azure blue ball. I added rings, and the planet has an 80 degree 'tilt' (its the same 0 as any other planet, but its featureless sooo....)
lFGKjzi.jpg

I think it would be really cool if a mod could be coded to where the space camera has the option to shift to a certain config defined angle when in certain SOIs, like... when entering Caeruleum's SOI, the camera can smoothly turn 80 degrees and gives you these views
7N7MNj0.jpg

The two stars Iremia and Anatarchi have an eccentric orbit, which causes the smaller Anatarchi to release immense flares. I do have lore about this system, and the two planets inwards are hellscapes, one is an irradiated duna sized planet, the other is a laythe sized world of eternal fires. Caeruleum is regarded as being calming and welcoming to any visitors.

Iremia and Anatarchi are 1.1 and 0.4 solar masses respectivley, making it the same mass as Estrela Dobre, but significantly brighter (about 1.5 solar luminousities in the Dini system compared to 0.9 in Estrela Dobre)

QFegtuT.jpg

A pretty wild view when using locked camera aligned to the plane. I will add three moons, but the rotation will be very incorrect as ksp1 cannot have axial tilts

I then tried making a rocket piston engine
VXLnkOx.jpg

This one was quite underwhelming, with very, VERY little torque, but it did work. it uses a normal piston crankshaft and heatshields blocking the thruster on the upstroke

I then made a giant version. knowing that engines push to a distance of about 9.8m from the tip of the nozzle, and that the vector is quite small and powerful... the 9m stroke length requires a collosial 4m long crank arm thing

dNeEuKT.jpg

at peak torque, this thing can more than overcome the resistance of two of the largest electric motors, with probably about 3000kNm of torque at peak

Attatched a 400t flywheel to it for smoother acceleration
pkoLUVL.jpg

It was so powerful it started escaping the restraints

2 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

it uses a normal piston crankshaft and heatshields blocking the thruster on the upstroke

Could you send a video from the mechanical astral plane you're on so we mere mortals can understand this thing? :D

We  used an upgraded vehicle and booster to go to Ceti.  Jeb and Val approve of the launch. 

7aEXnml.png

Spoiler

Booster separation. 

zKd7RDx.png

Transfer burn to Ceti.

HwdF0Sm.png

Separation from the transfer stage after putting it into an impact trajectory.

YPFTQbt.png

Val sticks the landing.

HDmreKG.png

On the Highlands of Ceti.

BhsTf8z.png

Spoiler

I will not talk about the screw up of the Lander taking off into the wrong orbit. with a huge inclination. Necessitating burning all of the landers fuel to match the inclination of the SM. Which did not work so the SM matched the rest of the inclination needed. burning up the fuel to return home. but docking was achieved.

nq0hSYu.png

I then attempted to leave Ceti by ejecting into an orbit that puts my PE at 25KM above Gael.

And after using all the remaining fuel, I used all of the RCS and the last 57 m/s needed was done  by kerbals EVA'ing out and using their RCS packs to push, taking advantage of the magic refueling of Kerbal RCS packs by re-boarding the space craft when close to empty.

I regret nothing.

NcdA4QR.png

And a fiery return home.

ptnwp27.png

Did my first asteroid capture mission!

screenshot1956.png?width=1440&height=810

screenshot1959.png?width=1440&height=810

screenshot1963.png?width=1440&height=810

screenshot1969.png?width=1440&height=810

screenshot1977.png?width=1440&height=810

If you look closely you can even see a couple of comets in the background. The crew is currently still on board, but I'll send a recovery mission up soon and add an escape pod to the next craft so the crew can get home safely. Another asteroid is making a very close pass (231 km!) in a few Kerbin months so I'll be going for that one too.

I tried to do something like this some very long time ago, but I just wasn't good enough to make it work:

Tf0ZBgZ.jpg

The Lark, pictured, simply retracted its gear over one of the four connection claws.  The pilot was then able to Transfer directly inside the Kontrol tower.

The tower has capacity itself for 1,600 LF.

I may dare to shift those claws out for even more Kraken temptation clearance.

OK, and a jet terminal, something like this (5,000 LF):

odgPR70.jpg

Low part count might be a v.good thing!?

Edited by Hotel26

15 hours ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

Yeah, I know - bit odd to add Soviet project managers to organization while using NASA insignia.

Just think what humankind would have been able to achieve in this alternative timeline - we would have settled Mars decades ago.

Continuing my latest attempt on RP-1 career, had two gaming sessions today but completed only one mission, due to engine explosion during the first attempt - few seconds after the image was taken. 

ukFkJRh.png

The mission was to launch a bio sample and 75 units of sounding equipment over 150 km. Since I am bit low on science points I expanded this to a mission with two bio samples (different types) and setting the target to 999 km of height.

The equipment used was upgraded post-war era rocket parts - RD-103 and Isayev rocket engine U-1250/2000, all of them being designed in late 1940s.

aEYYRWo.png

tORxvrl.png

Also the second attempt was only partial success - achieving the primary mission but failing partially at secondary target (gathering of science):

wIeOl00.png

First main RD-103 engine lost power and then U-2000 engine on the last stage failed to ignite, shortening the time for science gathering.

I have committed building of another launch complex - capable of 200t heavy rocket launches. While first orbit can be achieved with far lighter rockets in RP-1 (see Juno I) , the goal is to have a design which I can use bit longer than just couple of missions, especially as one of the missions in the current project is to launch a 1000 kg satellite.

Edited by IncompetentSpacer

AsEkWzv.png

It is late 1955 and first orbit in my latest RP-1 career has been achieved. I find the early phase of the RP-1 to be the most interesting when you are limited by technology but this part goes much faster now since I reuse the design ideas from previous playthroughs.

Anyways, the rocket I used to achieve orbit is bit on the heavy side with capability to place 1000 kg (ca. 2000 pounds) cargo in orbit.

hGE5Sop.png

This is sort of modified historic R7 configuration with two  liquid boosters RD-107 boosters and RD-108 engine in sustainer section.

Took some nice pictures but putting them in spoilers. I don't like how the cloud cover is rendered below certain altitude but it is what it is.

Spoiler

swLsLjS.png

DSXnhTv.png

gS5WMKw.png

BLtqE3M.png

Some unrelated ocean-going malarkey today[1] lead me to get my old Sea Spray out, change out the Panthers for Wheesleys and then attempt a long-distance sea trial.

L2QFXhz.jpg    FmyBhWk.jpg

KSC to Cape Town (42W) in 67 minutes (of my life gone).

(Well, most KSP operations can be interleaved with other activities in another screen, anyway, I suppose.)

It's actually quite good fun, navigating at sea, especially with a craft that has to be brought almost to a standstill in order to turn it.  Quite reminiscent of "bad putting"...  :)

Spoiler

[1] the other malarkey, out near Kerman Atoll:

OaTiCdJ.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

So everything's been on hold due to like a 7 g launch from school. Hopefully, I can catch a stage separation break to play some ksp.

My most promising plan is a small, cheap SSTO spaceplane idea. Mk 1 size parts, delta wings. It will transfer crew between Kerbin and my space station (called Mir but that's its only resemblance to the real one). The main thing about it is that it will have expendable tanks on the side. Powered by a rocket engine on the main fuselage, I am going to try different variations like rocket engines on the tanks, but probably the best idea will have jet engines on the tanks. I will probably use the Whiplash engine, but for cost reasons, I will see if the Panther works too. The biggest thing will be if I can take the whole thing to orbit or if I still have to ditch the jets.

Woah, sudden idea! For aesthetic purposes, I want the drop tanks to be the length of the fuselage. For the jet engines, if that's all fuel, I think that will be too much, so some of it will be structural. Instead, I could make the jet part stage away, and instead of structural parts left, there are SRBs or rocket engines or something. If I want to use this in my career save where I might not have access to the best engines, that could help.

All that's based on a small air-launched shuttle concept I saw in my space shuttle history book and I really liked how it looked. That's it.

Space Shuttle: The History of the National Space Transportation System, Dennis Jenkins if anyone's interested.

Continuing on the construction of Freedom:

Union 2, PMA-2, Adventure, Fortune and Michelangelo have been added.
(There is also a bug that restricts said textures being shown that I am trying to get fixed, so I apologize for no Columbia textures or toasty Discovery textures :()

Union 2/PMA-2/Adventure Launch on Columbia:

Spoiler

nBmiIqN.png
p8EbaOy.png
RgeqBLt.png
m2MfMCe.png
MMRO3l2.png
IvMCdpO.png
hspXKKF.png
UwBDYe3.png
ahNntf6.png
bzFoHnY.png
n6T2XpV.png
Y1JqYa7.png
EugmqKW.png
tMp4rMc.png
IgM5ozF.png
Relocating PMA-1 So Union-2 can be attached ^

5hUXntL.png
H5kspG8.png
ljW8MMV.png
pCKU27c.png
38lXZ8g.png
rJXiQC5.png
bf6lo57.png
wPjYZN5.png
wPjYZN5.pngIN1Gi89.png
hzdEZfl.png

Fortune/Michelangelo Launch on Discovery:

Spoiler

kG6eSnm.png
OO5Y92R.png
7dOtQ5a.png
K7wxtKX.png
1zutlfy.png
k80m4vo.png
aGpYGX7.png
ZT0u1tI.png
VhWhDeR.png
5OxADDW.png
kwreUoN.png
IN7aseo.png
ixNrKlk.png
Sorry I didn't take any screenshots of relocating and assembling the modules here ^ :(

tAkMJVU.png
NE2M8PS.png
bPqJRbQ.png
OPKoWLu.png
1fKCrCy.png
qyNoSeP.png
efLmeIe.png
Sharp reentry angle because I had very little fuel for the deorbit burn ^

xLBR8AT.png
NA2UVRR.png
V7Nugcn.png
rEFlMT2.png

5 hours ago, chimera industries said:

My most promising plan is a small, cheap SSTO spaceplane idea. Mk 1 size parts, delta wings. It will transfer crew between Kerbin and my space station (called Mir but that's its only resemblance to the real one). The main thing about it is that it will have expendable tanks on the side. Powered by a rocket engine on the main fuselage, I am going to try different variations like rocket engines on the tanks, but probably the best idea will have jet engines on the tanks. I will probably use the Whiplash engine, but for cost reasons, I will see if the Panther works too. The biggest thing will be if I can take the whole thing to orbit or if I still have to ditch the jets.

Yes this should work, even without ditching the side tanks and jet engines. The main point is whether you can accelerate enough on the jet engines before you need to fire the rocket engine. In order to do this you should strive for clean aerodynamics. And you need to have the right amount of excess liquid fuel for the atmospheric part of the flight.

Some time ago I built three small concepts that use 2x Wheesley and 1x Swivel. They are very low tech (for an SSTO). Maybe they can serve as a starting point to get the right ratio of LF to OX figured out. Docking capability is missing though. (I tried to keep the part count low so you don't need to upgrade the SPH).

Minimalist SSTO I 183 science needed; 18 tons; 100 m/s left in LKO;

Minimalist SSTO II 198 science needed; 17.5 tons; just enough delta-v to get to orbit;

Minimalist SSTO III 243 science needed; 25.6 tons; 650 m/s left in LKO

yudTFA0.jpg

Oh and if you go crazy enough with the drop tank/drop engine idea, you can get all the way to Moho and back. Will be neither small nor cheap though ;)

Skyfly X + Moho Excursion Module VII max science; 159 tons; about 9000 m/s left in LKO with 13.5 tons Lander payload

3q8O7xf.jpg

sH6WRHD.jpg

tS5D1eP.jpg

Edited by Duke MelTdoWn

GCADobt.png

More work done on Freedom;
Providence, ST-Z, and the P-5 trusses have been added to the station.

Providence/ST-Z launch on Endeavor:

Spoiler

qjrBDUM.png
zLfmMFF.png
DLGaTuu.png
lC5HvYW.png
tnBnzit.png
ypzCiLH.png
GOxNHnd.png
sNYDpGr.png
kXxX456.png
m06tPzq.png

kJLuBf5.png
B2Es6wE.png
FuFEou4.png
Na374mk.png
id0SHSj.png
d8Xhl8J.png
KexabKH.png
BgSKT0t.png
whgLIVX.png
4tL3wqS.png
5zsRyK1.png
Gbcrbe1.png
zGUwcba.png

P-5 Truss launch on Atlantis:

Spoiler

4rvmfvm.png
vwdpYDF.png
tDk8eTr.png
IuPZloO.png
ScwERNZ.png
UdsCPYe.png
xaGMd6p.png
5Ymzo43.png
^ Uranus, Mercury, and Neptune all made a nice cameo here! Can you find Mercury and Uranus's flares? (Neptune is too far to have a visible flare)

JynGX9Q.png
pnXGcAX.png
5PJs8gJ.png
Y9RE9et.png
saXxY6G.png
GCADobt.png
Haha, you already saw this one :D ^

dHyKXjW.png
9xRfWKH.png
M5hpMkt.png
WQucP2c.png
JKUZroL.png
breLYGb.png
cRGqKvY.pngZGhnD00.png
ELiRGU8.png

Edited by Toaster355
Typo and some images were out of order

So I didn't have the time to do a full mission today, but the upcoming missions I'm planning for are pretty big, and will probably take me a few weeks (forget the grand tour, for now at least, it's too easy yet too tedious for me). For stock KSP, I have 2 ideas to grab an asteroid and return it back to Kerbin and to have a round trip to Eve. I have never done either so it will be fun, and not too challenging! Maybe I could do both at once...

I'm also planning on making a Alter-Kerbin SSTO for this mod: 

The homeworld has a radius nearly that of LSR's homeworld Revan (actually now that I think about it, it's only just over 2/3) and a gravity comparable to stock Kerbin, which is unusual given this is a 1x scale mod. The delta-v to reach orbit is about 6000m/s and most of the planet is an ocean, so I'll probably 'set position' to a better location and take off in a way that gets the entire ascent path over land with a few seas in between. The terrain does look pretty cool. The craft will probably have A LOT wings (big s wings so they can store fuel and save fuel tanks), and a bit of oxidiser. There will be two RAPIERs and NERVs and the ascent is expected to take a long time.

All that planning aside, I did some more testing for LSR which of course gives some cool images to show off:

(DISCLAIMER: MOST OF THE IMAGES SHOWN HERE WERE OBTAINED USING CHEATS).

hey, it's what I did in KSP1 today, so it doesn't matter...

K31AEpBba6OH.png?o=1

The KSC. (It has a small orientation problem, being 47 degrees off to the east (will be fixed)) with EVE and scatterer. There are 3 cloud layers, at 5,14 (the main layer) and 29 km (wispy clouds) as well as auroras (WIP).

5gdSHlVdgf5h.png?o=1

cJRDAh1OHce9.png?o=1

(Note: the rings are bugged and are supposed to be inverted which causes the main layer to be much closer to Vera's surface, which has been fixed)

HPwhl4JSw4ab.png?o=1

The polar ice cap up close.

T9U1J2IAuaOy.png?o=1

The ice caps penetrating the cloud layer. (the oceans can be seen below). This is just above the atmosphere at 94km.

r0uydBQITMwH.png?o=1

One of the polar ice sheets. The high temperatures cause a lot of precipitation which moves to the poles due to Vera's slow rotation period, where the lack of axial tilt causes the temperature to be low.

5qo40e1fk1ho.png?o=1

The lack of water pattern on Vera is an unsolved bug that makes everything seem a lot smaller than what they actually are. This is from an altitude of 6km, and the highest point of the ice sheet is around 1800 meters with the clouds at 7km.

Ppc49ktCsKhn.png?o=1

The main ice cap is visible. The highest points reach a staggering 19,000 meters and for comparison, the oceans are 900m deep on average. There is more water locked up in the ice caps than anywhere else on the planet. (Most of the towering ice caps are further north)

123nSCa7OfrZ.png?o=1

Below the clouds.

zQvKIgXlszL0.png?o=1

Possibly the tiniest island ever. (to the left of the plane)

(About here my image upload software said "no", so I'll end it here. Probably will make a part 2).

Trident ATV  (will be an exploration companion for the new Deep and Deep-R underwater bases):

K6gIAYp.jpg

Not yet confirmed but I am hoping the weight & balance will work out such that Trident ATV can be equally useful on land and ocean bed.

It will do 39.7 m/s on land (as you'd expect from those rear F1 tires) and uses a kind of KERS[tm] MP drainage system for extra bursts of speed under water (or indeed propulsion on the surface).

It has full buoyancy control (incremental flood & blow), fuel cell charging (not shown) and a Claude[tm] pit stop system.  Looks like it can sustain 6.5 m/s across the ocean bed once KERS has broken the Kerbal ocean viscosity barrier.

Spoiler

The KERS system operates while the ballast tank is simultaneously being flooded and blown.  (Currently, flooding at 30 units/sec and blowing at 48, causing a deficit.  If I balance those, continuous KERS operation (while the marshalls aren't looking) should be feasible.)  At the moment, I maintain a minimum 500 MP ballast and run it back up to 900 before using KERS again...

Uh, you did sign the NDA when you walked into the conference room, didn't you?  Oh dear!  Security!  Code 99!

Here comes the critical test!  Getting inside...

5WTPQjN.jpg    jivr6bS.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

A few days ago I reinstalled KSP, installed my previous mods (with some exceptions) and it runs with the very good 50fps!

Spoiler

I use EVE, Scatterer, Parallax, Distant Object Enhancement, AVP, PlanetShine, Reentry particle effect renewed and FreeIVA

In the near future, I'm planning on making an SSTO cinematic. SO I decided it's time I actually try to make one. So I got to work.
At first I made a long Mk1 SSTO with 2 R.A.P.I.E.R.S. and 1 NERV engine. It just didn't reach the 70km mark (it went to 40) So I decided to replace the R.A.P.I.E.R.S. with Whiplashes and it did even worse. 30km. 

screenshot55.png

I watched VAOS' video on how to make an SSTO and it turns out the problem were the fat shuttle wings. I removed them, shortened the fuselage, went back to R.A.P.I.E.R. engines and...

screenshot59.png
I decided to stop at 90km but I made it. For the first time (maybe)

Spoiler

screenshot63.png

mmm cinematic

So I burned around 30 seconds before the apoapsis and

screenshot68.png
I did it... my first succesfull SSTO has reached orbit with 5000m/s to spare... I couldn't believe it. Now I'm (un)officially a profesional KSP player.

screenshot73.png

cool sunrise

I deorbited and... the cockpit overheated and exploded (I have a theory that this happened because the Mk.1  cockpit doesnt have enough drag and 'lift' compared the Mk2.) . I tried again and again and again and I tried going steeper and steeper and steeper, and I tried directly diving, but I wen't back to normal reentry.

screenshot97.png

Eventually I went with a 30-40 degree angle with the periapsis set to about 20 km above the KSC. After reentry I was at about 12km above the ocean between the KSC and the desert. So I turned on the jet engines again and I flied over to the runway

Spoiler

One little "cheat" here, I had to use the NERV during reentry a bit because electricity was knocking on my door (I had no generators)

screenshot161.png

screenshot167.png

After a few landing attempts (Hard landing reasons) I landed.

screenshot175.png

(I set the brakes to 200% while braking so the SSTO flipped around)

My first successful SSTO. After countless attempts on "Enhanced" edition and 1-2 attempts on my laptop, I have done it...

I also decided to make retro-style Mk,1 jetliners: the Mangoliners' ML-100 "Pawn" and ML-110 "Rook" and an airline "KerbAvia"

screenshot203.png

screenshot207.png

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

14 hours ago, Toaster355 said:

GCADobt.png

More work done on Freedom;
Providence, ST-Z, and the P-5 trusses have been added to the station.

Providence/ST-Z launch on Endeavor:

Reveal hidden contents

qjrBDUM.png
zLfmMFF.png
DLGaTuu.png
lC5HvYW.png
tnBnzit.png
ypzCiLH.png
GOxNHnd.png
sNYDpGr.png
kXxX456.png
m06tPzq.png

kJLuBf5.png
B2Es6wE.png
FuFEou4.png
Na374mk.png
id0SHSj.png
d8Xhl8J.png
KexabKH.png
BgSKT0t.png
whgLIVX.png
4tL3wqS.png
5zsRyK1.png
Gbcrbe1.png
zGUwcba.png

P-5 Truss launch on Atlantis:

Reveal hidden contents

4rvmfvm.png
vwdpYDF.png
tDk8eTr.png
IuPZloO.png
ScwERNZ.png
UdsCPYe.png
xaGMd6p.png
5Ymzo43.png
^ Uranus, Mercury, and Neptune all made a nice cameo here! Can you find Mercury and Uranus's flares? (Neptune is too far to have a visible flare)

JynGX9Q.png
pnXGcAX.png
5PJs8gJ.png
Y9RE9et.png
saXxY6G.png
GCADobt.png
Haha, you already saw this one :D ^

dHyKXjW.png
9xRfWKH.png
M5hpMkt.png
WQucP2c.png
JKUZroL.png
breLYGb.png
cRGqKvY.pngZGhnD00.png
ELiRGU8.png

What TUFX configs are those? They look amazing!

2 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

What TUFX configs are those? They look amazing!

Thought you'd never ask, mate!

I use a slightly modified version of Ballisticfox's experimental lukewarm profile; modifications include ambient occlusion,  sharper antialiasing, and faster auto exposure.
You can download it here, and change some things up to your preference if you want: https://drive.google.com/file/d/108JONiLvn0EtPyJA5pElCN5I13c3V080/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Toaster355