What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Since everyone doing RSS and RO and such coolnesses...

I stared a new career on Laythe. The sights are beautiful, Jool is majestic. Those moons are pretty comfy. After an overbuilt first orbit mission, I managed to also get three flybys and and a most spectacular free return trajectory at the end. For like 110 dV in two burns, without nodes. I would never admit if it was almost totally unintentional, instead just take a look at that trajectory in the album... whoa. I bet soon I'll be able to tell all the moons apart by without the map.

I also launched a double rescue. But the first stranded kerbal was so glad to see us that he forgot to kill his velocity and smashed the engine on impact in a pretty ugly way. We tried to use it anyways, but it wasn't overly happy about that attempt. At the end the careless guy had to push the craft home while his buddy waits for the next mission a Tylo orbit.

I wonder how will it be when I start geting high Joo orbit rescues with various intersecting moons on the path.

Edited by Evanitis

I´ve got a lot done over the weekend. Mostly with asteroids.

First I cought a class A (named "Pebbles") for a contract.

Second Kerbin was saved from an incoming class D ("Bam Bam"). To get that Potato into a low equatorial orbit took a lot of time.

Then a Class E ("Fred") had to be tugged to Duna:

YW9QO8W.png

That big black thing is Ike under 7000m away :o but I needed that flyby to adjust orbit inclination.

And last I shot solar panels at "Betty" (another D class) in preparation for a station I have to build on her.

AT0Jksu.png

While all that happened my Eve Rover arrived at its destination. I may have found a new way to unload rovers :)

3tUjCc2.png

And I tried to get a nice screenshot of my SSTO family.

XHZyUxL.png

Left: Rising Star, middle: the good, old, trusty Shinden and the one on the right hasn´t got a name jet. 

Have fun, Mü :) 

Working on torpedo tubes for my Admiralty M Class WWI Destroyer, built them, attached them on the destroyer, was testing buoyancy and performance, then this weird bug happened after Hyperediting (I think) the craft:

And that apparently is what happens when a WWI destroyer suddenly starts flying through the air at Mach 2....

The wreckage goes for 2.5 Km, and the ship sunk... Stern First, after the electricity ran out and all.

Successfully made my "Gemini 6/7"-style linkup in LKO, with one of the vessels transferring fuel to the other for a Munar orbital mission, also concluded successfully.  Fulfilled a couple of contracts along the way and got some good science as well.  A fine evening!

@KerrMü

Amazing spaceplanes, it's not a talent I have (mine barely make orbit carrying just the pilot) and meanwhile yours look realistic enough to be models for something humans might actually build as well as being able to carry cargo. Are these completely stock? I'd love to try out a craft file if you don't mind sharing. 

@GDJ

What mod are you using to receive anomaly contracts? 

1 hour ago, Wolfos31 said:

@KerrMü

Amazing spaceplanes, it's not a talent I have (mine barely make orbit carrying just the pilot) and meanwhile yours look realistic enough to be models for something humans might actually build as well as being able to carry cargo.

They should, since they're clearly based on the Lockheed VentureStar/X-33/Starclipper concept, e.g.

762px-Venturestar1.jpg

Me, I prefer the Rockwell version...

353180main_EC96-43631-5_full.jpg

Edited by Workable Goblin

1 hour ago, Wolfos31 said:

@GDJ

What mod are you using to receive anomaly contracts? 

First you'll need this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/91625-105-contract-configurator-v1941-2016-01-25/

Then grab this (anomaly surveyor):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/98666-105-contract-pack-anomaly-surveyor-v142-2015-09-14/#comment-1697498

I would grab this too. Tourism is great for rep (if you do it right!)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/102372-105-contract-pack-tourism-plus-v130-2015-10-09/

Between those three links you should have enough contracts that provide a challenge and some real fun!

Speaking of which....

Rescued a pair of fisherman that claimed that the fish was so big that it flipped their boat. Yeah...sure.
screenshot28_3.png

Not a ocean going vessel.....I'm salvaging it to pay for the fuel.
screenshot29_3.png

And some exploring around the Pyramids.....

screenshot20_5.png

screenshot21_5.png

screenshot22_6.png

Well....I guess Kerbals have a sense of humour........

Someone on this forum might recognize this rover (@Kuzzter)... Mine is a reproduction from the screenshots.  I decided to Explore eve and this thing is perfect for the job.

Although the back end is not high enough for the drill and when I open the science cargo bay, part of the doors clip on the ground... sometimes causing lots of explosions/breakage.
Also the original did not use solar panels (that I could see) but a large generator.  Well, let's say a few 1x1 solar panels would've been much welcomed in many cases.

Still, the design is sturdy, can easily push 50m/s (hit 60 once or twice) without flipping or anything (I suspect Eve is for something into that, driving on it is rather easy).
Very good rover, room for 3, ISRU refill, powerful engine, enough electric storage, need some more for generation, and maybe some landing struts for the mining operation.  I sense a Mk.II model coming along :)
Still it's fully stock (well I substituted the 2 small LFO tanks for one procedural to save parts count, and because it looked better).
A full 2 tanks of ore + LFO goes a long way assuming not too many hills.  I average 16km/Eve day with it, and no need to smash the "W" key for 20 min straight.

Would use again, 8.5/10 !

YM9zShA.png

Edited by Francois424

19 hours ago, KerrMü said:

I´ve got a lot done over the weekend. Mostly with asteroids.

First I cought a class A (named "Pebbles") for a contract.

Second Kerbin was saved from an incoming class D ("Bam Bam"). To get that Potato into a low equatorial orbit took a lot of time.

Then a Class E ("Fred") had to be tugged to Duna:

YW9QO8W.png

That big black thing is Ike under 7000m away :o but I needed that flyby to adjust orbit inclination.

And last I shot solar panels at "Betty" (another D class) in preparation for a station I have to build on her.

AT0Jksu.png

While all that happened my Eve Rover arrived at its destination. I may have found a new way to unload rovers :)

3tUjCc2.png

And I tried to get a nice screenshot of my SSTO family.

XHZyUxL.png

Left: Rising Star, middle: the good, old, trusty Shinden and the one on the right hasn´t got a name jet. 

Have fun, Mü :) 

Gasp! That is some serious rover-unloading tech!

55 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

Someone on this forum might recognize this rover (@Kuzzter)... Mine is a reproduction from the screenshots.  I decided to Explore eve and this thing is perfect for the job.

Hey, very nice! I see you made some improvements to the Billmobile :) Yeah, it probably could have used some solar panels, all I had on it was the RTG stashed in the service bay and of course lots of batteries :) 

7 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hey, very nice! I see you made some improvements to the Billmobile :) Yeah, it probably could have used some solar panels, all I had on it was the RTG stashed in the service bay and of course lots of batteries :) 

I love tackling designs other players have managed to pull off.  Sometimes hey are insanely hard to get from 2d pictures, other times I fare better.  
I'll just strap some landing struts so the drill torque doesn't break the "Bill Mobile" anymore, and a few 1x1 panels on the 6 wheels and about 4-8 on the top.
Only used 2 RTGs (could not see what you had in your cargo bay... used mine for science (it got all the stock ones) + ladders to get it... didn't want to file edit the experiments in the pod).

110km rolled so far...  about ~250 to go until reaching Eve's north pole.
Thanks for the inspiration man !

today i tried to tweak my concorde and want it to be fully operational ssto payload delivery bird,so far it's not done..

i'm still playing with tweaks and designs,it crawl to orbit as it is now,but there is work to be done.

35cfk01.png14445lx.png29et8at.png2lsdslz.png16m60ix.png11jp18z.png2yy6z6c.pngs62am0.png

In between revising my Eve lander, I've been working on a 2-stage rover-carrying lander for Tylo and Laythe.  The intended rover is my workhorse "small" GL-1000 mode, which has various sub-variants which mainly diffetr in the docking port options (1 and/or 2, top and/or bottom mount, large and/or small ).  I've succesfully tested the lander only on Tylo, then added the rover and did a test on Laythe, using HyperEdit.  It went very well, including a drive down 1500m to the sea.  The rover, with its 200% size wheels, handled the steep dunes with ease, though I did flip it once, only resulted in two broken tires, easily fixed. :)

I'm still using v1.04, I don't know if it's different in 1.05, but I did not need a heat shield for the atmo entry, even though I came in very steep before retro-burning to ensure I came down on suitably level ground...not too mention ground, period. :)  

Edited by Laguna

The best fun in KSP when you only notice a fatal design flaw when it's too late. One so rarely has the joy of discovering -two- fatal design flaws on the same simple mission.

So join Gegnice Kerman for a moment on the first picture below, and try to spot both imperfections on her rescue craft before reading further...

(...)

Yes, the first problem as you very keenly noticed is the lack of entrance on the crew module. Gegnice tried to squeeze herself into the electronics compartment, but she kept damaging not just the precious microelectronics, but also the tank that held the fuel for the deorbit burn. It was kinda' decided at this point that the second standed kerbal will wait for the Rescue Craft Mk II. Luckily Gegnice happened to be an engineer, so she could fix the damage she was doing until she managed to find a comfortable position to whithstand the descent.

The other problem she had to notice (after the deorbit burn) is a painful absence of parachutes. Happens even with the best. Her best chance for survival was to hold on to the capsule while it bleeds speed, and let it go for a high-velocty impact test of the EVA helmet. Though it got stuck into the compartment, and Gegnice couldn't get free by the jetpack. Death seemed certain...

And electric charge ran out, the capsule started spinning, and a astronaut was flunged free (to fall). Best first day at a new job of ever.

Edited by Evanitis

Home sick the last few days with my left foot swelled up and trying to do it's best impression of a Kerbal foot (those things are scary!), so decided to mess around in my "just messing around" save and try to go to Moho again.

Started with this thousand-tonne technological terror: (WARNING! PIC-HEAVY!)

uQHUIAy.png

Spoiler

First stage sep... OK...

fnp45SH.png

Second stage sep... OK....

nDrjpGQ.png

Circularizing @  500km... so far, so good...

9WjThJ4.png

Orbit achieved, final boosters separated without knocking anything too important off...

mBxRodQ.png

Truly Ridiculous™ solar arrays deployed, on to Moho!

jvLIb4r.png

Leaving Kerbin behind....

yUPDfgB.png

Glamour shot. Near Future propulsion argon-fueled electric drive. Not enough juice to run full-on this far from the sun. Shouldn't have a problem at Moho.

H6LxVgg.png

A course correction later and Moho is in sight!

c2ttsd5.png

Half an hour of burning (ionizing?) later, initial orbit achieved, deploying ScanSat... which has no reaction wheels and can't turn. oops.

KFHKdGD.png

Orbit brought down to a 50km polar orbit. Components separating.... forgot to put a probe core on the drive section, now it's tumbling. oops.

ivYDKub.png

Pressing on... station is now delivered as per contract, money in the bank. Separating lander...

laq2JJz.png

Lander deployed and ready. Time for final descent.

8WnAf9Q.png

Drop tanks ditched coming down over the northern Mohole. But... they should have gotten it almost to the ground...?

lbsfbBc.png

Crap. Burning through delta-V way too fast.  Too late to abort now...

PkH16LB.png

Heading towards a hill! double crap Need to fix that...

aMYRv1o.png

Successfully on the surface! But with only 200m/s left in the tank, even with the rovers deployed... Kerbin, we have a problem...

WOHIoaS.png

You win again, Moho, you evil delta-v-sucking half-baked such & such! What to do, now... Lander crew is stranded. Station crew can still return to Kerbin, but, that just wouldn't be right....

vlMuuPW.png

I hate Moho.

I finish the design of the Eve Airship powered with a nuclear reactor, the autonomy of that Airship will be several years... But I only have food for one kerbal year for one kerbal.

doaxdLn.png

The next time I will post a image on Eve, now the orbital base on Eve is making the ship.